1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damaged Tailgate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RoadWarrior, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4cyl PreRunner
    TRD Alloys, Tinted Windows, Door sill protectors, Tow Hitch, Truxedo Bed Cover, Bed Extender, Intermittent Wiper Switch
    This past weekend I damaged my tailgate, I had my trailor hooked up, after unloading the truck I needed to move it, I pulled forward and did a U turn, when I got out and went to the back of the truck I realized I had left the tailgate down which had hit the trailors jack stand while doing the U turn and left a nice V shaped dent.

After I had calmed down I removed the tailgate and all of the plastic protectors and pulled out the V shaped dent that was in the top of the tailgate, I am now left with a small dent and chipped paint about 1 inch below the top edge of the tailgate, as we all know the tailgate protector goes down the inside of the tailgate for about 3 inches but does not go down the outside of the tailgate.

So with all that said, does anyone know if there is an after market tailgate protector that will cover the outside of the tailgate for an inch or 2?
    I have noticed other manufacturers have more of the protector showing on the outside.

I could get it painted but as the stock protector is now damaged I feel this may the most cost effective way to hide my mistake/damage.

Thanks,

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Pics of the damage would really help out for a question like this.

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
  4. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I used the cad drawings(Relentlesstaco) that were on that post and had a custom built protector/re-enforcer made out of 1/8 diamond plate aluminum. I only extended it down to the upper screw holes rather to the bottom of the tailgate. I was charged $50 total for it.

I had looked at aftermarket protectors, but they all used double sided tape for mounting. There are none made specifically for second generation Tacomas. I expect because of the plastic rail protector already on our trucks

I do not have a camera, or I would post photos. Mesasage me if you want my measurements, as I did change it slightly for my application. It extends down the outside seemingly like you are searching for.

5. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    WVTacoma08

WVTacoma08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD PRO Super White
  6. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4cyl PreRunner
    TRD Alloys, Tinted Windows, Door sill protectors, Tow Hitch, Truxedo Bed Cover, Bed Extender, Intermittent Wiper Switch
    Here is the damage, I have coverd the bare metal with white electric tape, but as you can see the dent is visible, although it does look better than the V shaped dent from the initial damage.

[​IMG]

7. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    RoadWarrior,

Did you look at "RelentlessTaco"s post on his "weak tailgate reinforcement solution"?

8. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4cyl PreRunner
    Wolftree,

Thanks for the follow up, yes I did look at Relentless taco's it looks great, I will print off the cad drawing and search out a local fabricator.
    You said you have measurements because you made a modification to yours, woud you mind sending them.

Thanks,

9. Mar 30, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    wolftree

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    RoadWarrior,

I only wanted a tailgate lip protector and not cover the whole tailgate. So I think what I did is similar to what you are seeking.

I only came down on the inside of the tailgate 1-1/4" below the Z so as to mount my cover using the screws.

I added 1/4" across the top lip for clearance. You might need to add more.

I would measure down and see where your dent is the you are trying to cover and make that your outside lowest point.

Let me know if I did not make sense. If you can find it, consider having it made with black anodized aluminum. My machinist charged me $50 for mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top