1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damnit, got the itch again. Somebody nudge me

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4X42HEL, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    4X42HEL

4X42HEL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4
    Ok, so been about a year and a half now that I've had my Tacoma. Every time 4WP comes out with their sweet deal for $500 off install for the 6" procomp kit, I get the itch really bad.... I have seen it 3 times now...

Been really busy and kinda of just said "I'll decide when I need tires..." but when I see the pics of the 6" lifted tacos, they look oh so sweet and it makes me wanna do it now.

I read a lot of threads about people dogging the 6" DB, and I don't really see why. I mean, the kit will most likely do just as well, if not better, than a 3" kit with "more ground clearance" is 99% of off-road situations.. bla bla. I most likely wont be in those situations. And as long as the kit doesn't actually hurt my performance from stock (4x4 SR5), then any gain is a gain, right? That's for another discussion.

Anyway, to put it bluntly I'd be a 'mall crawler', not by choice either. No I don't go to malls, but I don't off-road either. I just don't have the time or groupies to do that stuff. So it'd be mostly for looks and I don't care how bad that sounds who who i piss off, so there. :D

But I know my last (GM) truck had a 6" DB and I enjoyed every bit of its street queen life.... Although a lot of my peeps would poke fun and say "it's not really your personality" since they think I'm this computer nerd. What-ev.

Just sayin... ;)

Now, I got until 5pm 12/31/11 to jump the edge....

This is kind of the look I'm going for (but with different wheel/tire package (I like the Nitto TGs) Sorry for jacking this photo for demo purposes (who ever it is)
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 2, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Sounds like a DB 6" kit would work well for you. I would strongly suggest an All terrain tire though since the MT's are loud, expensive, bad in rain/snow, and wear quickly.

3. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    J0hnMata

J0hnMata Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    BHLM, bilstein 5100's, satoshi grillcraft grill, k&n cold air intake, tinted windows all around, interior map and dome light led's, hid fog lights and headlights, yellow fog light lenses, black lower valence.
    just do it!

4. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:12 AM
    Bgwood88

Bgwood88 Thats what she said..

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab 4x4
    Go for it. Atlest with the 6in you really don't have to worry about your front cv angles

5. Dec 3, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Sounds like your mind is already made up, time to pull the trigger. ;)

6. Dec 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    4X42HEL

4X42HEL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD-OR 4x4
    I have read that quite a bit on the forums here. I hope that isn't the case with the local shop here. I mean, I know some places are notorious for bad customer service, but I'd find it hard pressed to believe that every 4WP in the nation sucks... It could be... but I duno...

As long as they do a good job and 'know' what they are doing, and as long as they treat me good, I'd be happy. If they are jerks or if I get the inclination they don't know what the are doing, I will bail, even if its for free.

When I went there last year when I was itchin, the dude over the counter talked about exactly how you have to cut the cross member etc... (which I don't think is a big deal, i mean a modification is a modification, right?). But point is, seemed like he knew what he was saying talking about a specific requirement for our truck....

Now, the best way is to find if anybody had any run-ins with this local shop (good/bad or ugly...) I'd like to hear it... I'm in Albuquerque NM btw.... So if anybody has any experience with this shop or knows someone who does, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top