1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Darn it, stuck bolt, lower front strut

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Wild Card, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    Wild Card

Wild Card [OP] Truck yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD SR5 4x4 V6 Xtra Cab 5spd
    6" Deckplate. Trimmed TB gasket. Grey wire. Disable DRL's.
    Alright, got brave and decided to start replacing my front suspension tonight, and do the rear-tomorrow. I replaced the passenger side, a couple small issues, but that side is now done and looking good.

What I am now having a problem with is this:

[​IMG]

The lower-bolt on this strut is completely seized, it won't even let the strut rotate in that knuckle.

I can get the Nut off just fine, I have been soaking the SOB with PB blaster for about a day. This is the driver's side. The passenger side came out just fine. I have tried beating this bolt as hard as I possibly can, and I may actually be bending it a hair. I started rounded out the head, so then I switched to hitting it with the nut on it. I've also tried squeezing a wrench in there, between the bolt-head and the axle, but that fucker will NOT twist out, either.

I'm stuck, guys. I can't fit anything in there to cut the head off. I can't heat it, or I'll blow my CV axle. Any suggestions? And I don't have a bigger hammer....trust me, it won't work anyways.

This is my daily driver, and I'm getting a bit desperate to get it back on the road, as I have an 882 OME setup on the passenger side, and I'm stuck with the stock suspension on the driver's side.

2. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    You're gonna have to try and cut as much of the head off as possible. You can use anything from a hack saw, recip saw, angle grinder, or a dremmel like tool. What has happened is the bolt is rust infuzed with the bushing hole. You can try and turn the bolt with a breaker bar, but I think the rubber bushing would tear before the rust separates. Get the hub and spindle assemblies out of the way to give you more working room. You may just need to unbolt the lower ball joint to do that. Or get a bigger hammer. Good luck

3. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Thank god I don't live in a rust zone.
    Take a torch to that sucker ,heat him up and bang the shit out of it.

4. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I'd take a cutting wheel to that sucker, go grab one at Harbor Freight for like $20.

5. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    Wild Card

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    I have a cutting wheel, but I can't get it to the bolt head without fear of grinding down the CV Boot. I was thinking of taking my Sawzall with a thing, metal cutting blade and cutting the bolt off inside of the knuckle. Only issue is this is my only vehicle, and I do not have a spare bolt for this....grrrrr

6. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    white toy taco

white toy taco 505 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '06 OR and '02 OR (sold)
    yea just cut the bitch. i got new nuts/bolts at my local bolt shop for about $10 for 2 sets

7. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    pippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    I mean if you can't get into there to cut it then soak it in oil overnight, and try to beat that sucker out of there with a good 5lb+ hammer. It will come out, looks like from hitting it on the nut you will have a pretty good line of swing to use the hammer. If your afraid of the heat messing up your CV use some foil wrapped around it or something to shield it from a torch.

8. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

A grade 8 bolt will do just fine. Just pack it with anti sieze. Or you could go stainless, but be weary of regular hardware store stainless bolts, they don't have the shear strenth of a grade 8. Go to fastenal for your stainless fasteners.

9. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    Wild Card

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    The other issue:

If I cut it, I have no "other vehicle" to go to a shop to get a bolt!

Grrr!!! Debating taking my slumped-over Tacoma out for a leisurely jaunt to get one...no auto parts store within a half-hour drive, though.

10. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    pippen

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Yea stainless steel is weaker than steel, but yes Lowes or something similar should have what you need, call your buddy and have em drive you there! Either that or put it all back together to go get one lousy bolt LOL.

11. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    AcadianTaco

AcadianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    N.B. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD OFFROAD
    OME 885X with Bilstein 5100, Dakars with 5125, Wheeler's bumpstops, LR UCA
    IMO get a couple of spares first, soak it at least overnight, if it don't come off either cut it out or you could also drill it out. Small pilote 1/8 hole in the middle from each side, then 1/4 inch and finally1/2 or so. Worked for me before.

12. Sep 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM
    Wild Card

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    How would you get the drill into the CV Facing side?

a7scenario likes this.
  13. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    Wild Card

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    Well, I've given up for the night. I have help (and more importantly, transportation to the hardware store) coming tomorrow morning. I broke off my sawzall blade trying to cut the damn thing out. And I lack spares. I have a motorcycle, but this is my weekend with my 5-year old son, and I don't have proper riding gear for him, so, for the moment, I am stranded and out of spare parts.

I managed to haggle for a 5lb hammer and tried hitting it again, all that managed to do was to start bending one of the brackets holding the bolt on! Wahoo! So, when I get all of this out, I'll have to tenderly realign that bracket now. Bigger hammer does not always work, it turns out.

Alright, we'll see what the morning brings...

14. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    BFH ?

15. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Spray the bolt with compressed air (hold the can upside down). Freeze the bolt and then try the hammer. You can also try a tourch on the bracket holding the bolt.

Also make sure the coil pack and lower control arm are properly supported so as to not put weight on the bolt.

16. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    id be so pissed.

17. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Streetsurfz727

Streetsurfz727 Well-Known Member

Member:
    have you tried adjusting how you have it lifted? maybe there is too much pressure on the nut from the weight of the vehicle to allow it to move. just a thought, oh and also look into investing into some thing called a impact wrench or try a breaker bar idk man, maybe just have a bowl of Wheaties in the morning.:D j/k

18. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Wild Card

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    Already did it, bent the bracket holding the strut in. Gonna hold off on any BFH plans for the foreseeable future.

Coil-pack is just hanging there, nice and loose. No real tension on the bolt. Already unbolted the top-plate from the hangar or whatever it's called.

And 2nd gens, GTFO. You guys go back to your heroin induced forums of arrogance! :cool:

19. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    Wild Card

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Portland, MI
    Vehicle:
    Once again. The NUT moves freely. The BOLT is frozen inside. Also, a breaker-bar on my spanner wrench did not work, but I only have about 1.5 inches of wiggle room in there.

A socket is impossible to get on the bolt head, as it is directly underneath the CV axle, and about 2 inches behind it sits the bracket for the sway-bar linkage. NO WAY to get a socket on it. All that fits is a spanner wrench. I guess you can't really see that in the picture.

20. Sep 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    Try going to a shop and ask if a tec will hit the back side of that bolt with an impact and I'm sure it will break loose. If you find a cool shop they will probably do it for no charge.

Products Discussed in

To Top