1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Darton Sleeves

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Torspd, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    I just need $10,000 and Ill be good to go with a sleeved fully built 1gr:p

2. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    :devil:

In all honesty, unless someone has the cash to dish out at once, you can start small, and do it all in stages. Unless you get the stroker crank. Then you would want pistons at the same time since those change between stock stroke and the 105mm stroke.

But group buy pricing for rods - $600. Pistons: between $900-1200 if coated. ARP head studs: ~$290 Cometic Head gaskets: ~$220. Then of course bearings. That gets you base forged. Upgrade from there as time sees fit. Doesn't hurt the bank account as much, all at ine time. :)

3. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    I wouldnt do it unless I got sleeves

4. Mar 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I think that Gadget sleeved engine (the first 1GR sleeved by Darton) is still for sale? With crank, cams, rods, pistons. Cheaper that $10k too.

5. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    RedLantern

RedLantern Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hi
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro Tacoma - Voodoo Blue / 06 double cab PreRunner Turbocharged (sold)
    yes, thats the plan! ill be sure to check for that in the mean time. ugh this place is evil for my wallet. im gonna have to put this forge build on the back burner tho once i pick up the engine. need to finish getting the turbo done first.

6. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    SconnieHailer

SconnieHailer PutterClutch

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Double Cab V6 6Speed
    question. under load and operation temp changes how do the sleeves and block expansion interact? is it critical that the block and sleeves have the exact same expansion properties? I only mention it since we looked into it on my dads evo and it seemed like it would open up a can of worms longevity wise if we didn't get it perfect. Tor, did darton ever mention that? PS I like the cowboy hat on the guy working on your block!!! haha awesome

7. Mar 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    This is the best info I could find, without calling and asking directly.

http://www.dartonsleeves.com/tech_ctr.htm

I am going by a little faith in this, but I have spoken with Jim at Darton East many many times. Never once did he mention any concerns about the differening materials and their respective expansion rates. By those tech atricles, they know their metalllurgy properties well. So in that, I have faith that they took that into concideration whilst developing the wet sleeves for aluminum blocks.

It does make me want to ask Jim, the next time I speak with him though. So thank you for bringing that up Sconnie, I will. :thumbsup:

8. Mar 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha, let me know if or when you ask him! Sorry, I hope you aren't second guessing it now... I'm sure it'll be fine lol

Are yours wet sleeves then? Dont remember what you said... Nice link!

I don't have much knowledge on the subject other than the guys who built our track car mentioned it as a potential problem.

These are the guys im talking about
    http://www.dbptuning.com/cat/

here is an old old dyno run of dads car (sound is goofy...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a085oaJD5Bc

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  9. Mar 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    My apologies. I never did mention which style that they were. But yes, they are wet sleeves. Completely replace the whole factory cylinder.

I remember you posting up the info before, but what were the #'s that that car made? I am going to have to go and watch that road course video again. :D Gets me all excited.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. Mar 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    No need to apologize! Seems like the better option would be to go wet.

in the video posted just above it put down roughly 390whp and roughly the same torque if i remember correctly. Now we are running high 20's psi and somewhere just over 500whp, i've only seen the dyno sheets once and cant remember what the numbers were exactly. (id go get the sheets to look at but they are back in wisconsin 1k miles away :( )

Here's the video you mentioned above ;)
    We have since changed our final drive ratio to a low 4.00 because our 5th was severly limited on the straights and the gear per corner wasnt matched well. now we hit 160+ no problems :D and the corner gears are better matched.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeyXGr9-KeE

I should watch our videos more often, got a quarter chub now!!!!!!!

11. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
  12. Mar 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    SconnieHailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    West Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    :jellydance: of you when you finally get your truck to the track!!!!!

13. Jun 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    DoubllD, I had Jim at Darton East, source some main studs that would fit the requirements, through ARP.

They measured the factory ones, cross-referenced to the closest thing, then did the tricky part. Cutting them down to length and or drilling and re-tapping the holes to match.

I am not exactly certain on what they had to do, as I was told by LCE long ago, that our OEM main bolts are uncommon to match something from ARP, and that some modification would be necessary.

I just told Jim, I need them, do what it takes.

14. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:14 AM
    DOUBLLD

DOUBLLD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma LS Swap Twin Turbo
    Alot
    Sweet does gadget still have that engine for sale an how can I get ahold of him if he does

15. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Yes he does. I believe for a little over $6k. Call URD, and enter extension #3. Shoot, you could probably head over to his shop and check it out yourself.

16. Jun 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    toon714

toon714 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    toon
    So. Cali to H-town
    Vehicle:
    2010 turbo lowered prerunner
    garret Gt 35R front mount turbo, TR lowering kit, Work wheels, all the go fast goodies!
    Lololoolol.

Is all i gotta say.

17. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    DOUBLLD

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    Alot
    Lol what toon?

18. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    DOUBLLD

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    Alot
    Tor do you have a number or part number I can have for the main studs

19. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    Torspd

Torspd [OP] Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    The next time that I talk with Darton East, I will try to get as much info as I can.

20. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    DOUBLLD

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Bluemont, VA
    Vehicle:
    Alot
    Thanks I talked 2 gadget looks like I'm gettin his engine

Products Discussed in