1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Cam Group Buy Round 2 - Blackboxmycar.com

Discussion in 'Automotive Group Buys' started by USDashCamera, May 3, 2018.

1. May 3, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    USDashCamera

USDashCamera [OP] Put it in H

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    Hey guys,

In honor of the new 4k Blackvue DR900s-2CH/1CH coming out any time now, and several new DR590 models, I thought it would be a good time again for another group buy which will include any dash cams and accessories as long as you order more than $250, for 10% off your entire order.

http://blackboxmycar.com/

So I had set one up a few months ago and it was the first time I had set one up so there were some hick ups. You can read through it here:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/any-interest-in-a-dash-cam-group-buy.527906/

This group buy will be very similar, with 16 or more required (not doing the smaller discount this time) to get 10% off your entire order (must be over $250 USD). This includes any accessories such as memory cards, hardwiring kits, dash cam batteries etc, or multiple cameras. To avoid using something like massdrop and having a 3rd party company take a big cut, and to maximize the discount, blackboxmycar uses a down payment system for the group buy. A $20 deposit will be made available to purchase from the store once enough people sign up (I will be keeping track) and the group buy will be open a week after 16 people buy in. Once that week is up, a coupon code will be given to everyone to make their purchase, people need to make their purchase within 1 week. All orders will be shipped at the end of this time and the $20 deposit will be refunded to all buyers.

So one other thing that came up last time is several people made very large orders, and while blackboxmycar does free shipping on orders over $100 to the US, it is based in Canada. If you are placing an order OVER $800 there will be an import fee of $30. Last time some people bought several deposits because they were going to place 2 or more orders over $250, which is ok this time too, but if you do that, you should place the orders separate too so you don't get hit with an import fee.

Also Hawaii (and I am sure Alaska residents) shipping is not free for you guys unfortunately and can be very costly. I would suggest getting a quote before spending money.

So I want to reiterate some of the rules, plus a few others (so please read):

1. 16 or more buyers required.
    2. All orders must be over $250.
    3. 10% off your entire order.
    4. $20 deposit will be available to purchase once 16 people confirm they are interested.
    5. Once 16+ people purchase the deposit, I will announce the one week deadline to join in.
    6. Once that week ends, I will announce the one week deadline to make your purchase. We just really don't want anyone holding it up, because many people will be anxious to get their dash cams, make sure you are really committed to buying if you pay the deposit.
    7. Once that second week ends, all orders will ship out.
    8. $20 deposit will be refunded to all buyers once all the orders ship. The $20 deposit won't be refunded if you back out and the number of buyers drops below 16, we really don't want people buying deposits just to get the number up, only to back out after giving out discounts to people.
    9. You may buy more than one deposit if you can make multiple purchases over $250, but if you are ordering $800+ you should split the order into 2 orders to keep your purchase below $800 so you don't get hit with the US import fee.
    So I am going to post some of my personal fav cams and reviews, and also below some informational videos from my channel or blackboxmycar's youtube channel for help and questions. There are many dash cams to choose from of varies prices and features so I can help people pick whats best for them.

http://blackboxmycar.com/

Check out my post below for some videos on my fav dash cams with advanced features such as automatic parking mode or Cloud support. I also added a look at how I installed a cam in my Tacoma, plus some dash cam battery options (they are pricey though, fair warning).

Master list of Users:
    1. PLACE HOLDER

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. May 3, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    Here are some of the best cameras available right now when it comes to advanced features and smart automatic parking modes. Note there are typically a 1 and 2 channel version, some of the reviews cover only the 2 channel model. Personally I think you should absolutely get a 2ch model unless you don't have a rear window such as a commercial van.

Blackvue DR900S-2CH Quick Review:

Blackvue DR750S-2CH & 1CH Review:

This is Blackvue's high end 1080p60 + 1080p30 dash cam with built in WiFi, GPS, Cloud support. Supports 128gb cards.

Blackvue DR590-2CH Review:

This is Blackvue's budget 1080p30 + 1080p30 dash cam with optional GPS. WiFi and Cloud support is not in this model, but the DR590W-2CH does offer WiFi for $40 more). Supports 128gb cards.

Thinkware F800 Pro Review:

This is Thinkware's high end 1080p30 + 1080p30 dash cam with built in WiFi, GPS, and limited Cloud support. Supports 128gb cards.

Thinwkare F800 Review:

This is Thinkware's cheaper F800 model that lacks 128gb card support, limited to 64gb and has no Cloud features. Only available in this gray and silver color.

Other Videos:

If you are looking for a 2ch camera that is still decent, but at a cheaper price check out the Blacksys CH-200B Review I have here.

How I installed a 2CH dash cam in my Tacoma with a topper:

There are multiple ways to hardwire dash cams. With blackvue you need the blackvue power magic pro, with thinkware you just need the hardwiring cable. These kits allow you to run parking mode of these cameras without draining your battery. They will cut power to the camera if the car battery is too low. You can also set them to timers so they aren't just going forever until the battery gets too low.

There are also battery options such as the cellink battery b or cellink battery neo. These are ideal for people who live in cold climates, or have cars that do not accept connecting devices to their fuse box. Most people can get away with a typical hardwiring kit but if you want to protect your car battery in the best way possible and don't mind the high price of these, they are the best on the market:

Cellink Battery B Review:

This is the cheaper Cellink currently. When I reviewed this it was the version 1 that had a battery connection in addition to the ACC connection, but current models only use the ACC connection. This allows you to power your dash camera in parking mode without draining your car battery all the time.

Cellink Battery Neo Review:

This model charges much faster than the B model, and has bluetooth to connect to a smart phone app so you can monitor battery levels and charging time/speed.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. May 5, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    Jckdnls

Jckdnls Roads less explored

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spicer, mn
    Vehicle:
    93 3.0 v6 sr5 5spd 08 ac or 6sp
    Dakar torsion bars
    Does this one have a separate hardrive?

4. May 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    None of them use hard drives they all use micro SD cards. They all have the memory card slot in the main camera.

5. May 5, 2018 at 7:39 PM
    RIDERED67

RIDERED67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFFROAD QUICKSAND, DCLB, TECH
    So the max discount you'r offering here is 10%?

6. May 5, 2018 at 9:12 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    Yes, which might not sound like much but the high end dash cam market doesn't have much room for margins until new models come out, so something like $50-60 off a high end dash cam is quite significant. Typically only black friday deals are around the same discount.

and also many dash cam retailers will just give discounts on the dashcams, blackboxmycar is willing to give 10% off across all accessories you buy too which can be huge if you are buying stuff like dash cam batteries or other expensive accessories (since many companies make most of their money on those items).

RIDERED67[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. May 10, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    sheesh, the first group buy had a lot of interest, maybe it was because of tax season. :D

8. May 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    bump? wow first round there were many people jumping on right away!

9. May 17, 2018 at 5:38 PM
    mrlee

mrlee I like crunchy Tacos!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport (Yeah, it's gotta skewp, Haterz gonna hate)
    Bed rug, ARE bed top, Weathertechs. Little goodies here and there!
    Dammit, I acquired the CH-200 not long ago. Finally wired up the rear cam and hardwired it. I have to say, very impressed by it, even though only 64gb. But I didn't want long term storage so all good.

USDashCamera[OP] likes this.
  10. May 17, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    1bad2k

1bad2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Bump for a good deal! In still enjoying my f800 pro although I haven't been able to catch any cool stuff on it yet lol.

USDashCamera[OP] likes this.
  11. May 17, 2018 at 6:09 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    it felt like as soon as i got a dash cam i never saw anything worth sharing anymore haha. sometimes i do see stuff "worth" sharing like on www.reddit.com/r/roadcam but often times I am too lazy to save the footage. I don't want my youtube channel to just be a bunch of videos of bad drivers that almost everyone witnesses on a daily basis.

1bad2k[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    i like blacksys because they offer pretty similar parking features of the more popular brands (thinkware, blackvue) but at a cheaper price. Blackvue is still king of the cloud currently (although with owl cam and raven I am not so sure, i havent had a chance to try those cams) blacksys offers quality cams if you are looking for dual channel cams with buffered automatic parking mode.

mrlee[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 17, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    1bad2k

1bad2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
    Lol true. It was unfortunate that I wasn't in my truck so I dont have footage, but a week ago I was directly behind a single cab second gen taco that hit a car that ran through a red and turned in front of us. We were doing a solid 50mph, and there were kids in the van that ran through the light. Thankful everyone was alright, but it would've been neat to have on video.

14. May 24, 2018 at 9:02 AM
    klavender1

klavender1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbia/Lugoff, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX 470
    I've been running a Blackvue DR490-2CH for a while now. It's been a great camera. However the SD card started malfunctioning and the camera couldn't write to it anymore. So I'm riding around not realizing the card didn't have any new video on it. It was the Transcend 64GB MicroSDXC Class10 that blackboxmycar sells but I got it through Amazon. I bought the card last July and the last video on it was from last November. I've tried several things but it can't be formatted or the old videos deleted. I'm running the Blackvue branded 16gb card that came with the camera in the mean time. Can you recommend a replacement card that will work long term? I may try Sandisk next time.

15. May 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    sandisk is notorious for having issues, unless you get their high endurance ones made for dash cams.

Sucks that your transcend went bad, thats what I had been using for years now. No product is perfect tho so you probably just got unlike. the last few cards I have used are samsung evo cards and haven't had issues yet. tbh though I have been using dashcams for almost 4 years now, used several transcend cards for years with no issue. the only issue I ever had was with a sandisk ultra class 10, it did the same thing as yours where i couldnt delete files or write new files.

It seems strange that your blackvue did not warn you the card was bad, blackvue cams are supposed to alert you with something like "please check the sd card" if something is wrong. edit: or did you mute the audio alerts?

16. May 24, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    klavender1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX 470
    I will check out the Samsung cards. I'll have to look at the audio alerts. It does tell me "starting normal recording" and such.

17. May 31, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    TacoTruck808

TacoTruck808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu in the Aloha State!
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB, Prem & Tech Pkg, MGM
    I have a BlackSys CH200 in my Taco and bought the following Sandisk 256gb micro SD card and it works flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758NHWS8/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Blackboxmycar.com now recommends this type of Sandisk A1 memory which they hadn’t in the past. I would have bought a Samsung 256gb Micro SD card, but I didn’t trust ordering from a seller other then Amazon.

I also have a CH-100B in my wife’s NX which I use 128gb Samsung Evo plus Micro SD card.

Just be careful of fake cards when purchasing online.

klavender1 likes this.
  18. Jun 1, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    Tredd

Tredd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    I’m in, if this is going to happen. Looking to get a Cellink Neo

19. Jun 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM
    klavender1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX 470
    So far the Samsung EVO is doing good. I finally ran the Blackvue Timeset program. I haven't checked to see if it keeps the correct time or not. That's the only really issue I've had with the Blackvue DR490-2CH. I will set the time on my laptop using the Blackvue software. But any time I use the software and save any settings, the camera will format the card and erase any settings. Then the time will be off again.

20. Jun 1, 2018 at 8:40 PM
    USDashCamera

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR
    I actually just emailed blackboxmycar and told them it doesn't seem like there is much interest this time. I think last time it was around tax season so many people were more interested in spending money.

Instead I do have a coupon code for $30 off any orders over $300 or more from blackboxmycar using the code "USDASH30". its 10% off basically for you since the cellink neo is $299 starding, same as the group buy. you might need to add an accessory or something to get over $300 depending on which model you get though. if the cellnk only comes out to $299 you can always add this $4 sticker https://www.blackboxmycar.com/colle...kboxmycar-warning-sticker?variant=14955122311 i think thats the cheapest item they sell, to get over $300.

solscooter and Tredd[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top