1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash Cam Hard Wire Question

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by hopz, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jul 29, 2016 at 8:45 AM
    hopz

hopz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    Hello,

I bought my new 2016 TRD DCLB a couple months ago and loving it. I recently decided to purchase dash cam after my old Subaru got totaled by a lady running a red light and a couple friends being screwed over by insurance because of no witnesses for their accidents. I am planning on getting the Street Guardian V2 because I live in Northern California and it easily gets 100+. I have never wired anything in a car or truck before and have been doing some research and found a couple similar guides that people have done on older models, but none on the 2016. My main question is what type of fuse should I use and what location can i put it? I took some pictures of the fuse cover from under the steering wheel. The bottom left is empty, is that a spare? Or it is left open for a reason? It just has a dash through it on the cover. Or do I need to double tap one of the fuses? IF so, which one should I pull out and add the extender too? Thanks for all the help!

Street Guardian:
    https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SG9665GC-Supercapacitor-DashCam/dp/B00U0OJMYG

Hard Wire Kit:
    https://www.amazon.com/CELL-POWER-D...g_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H7FED5GV1CC67J517AJW

Fuse1.jpg
    Fuse2.jpg

2. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM
    the4cecop

the4cecop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner Sport
    Alex, I recently added a Dashcam to my 2012. Although my under dash fuses are not as extravagant as your 2016, I tapped into the 7.5 ACC (Switched) and 20 D/L (Constant) as a final solution after experimenting. I used Mini add a circuits to both and used 5 amp fuses on both for the camera circuits. The constant was necessary for the parking monitor mode. Worked out well. I didn't have any power in my empty slots so I can't tell you if they are powered in the 16 or not. Hope this helps. Wes.

DexterMagnus and Painter99 like this.
  3. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    hopz

hopz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    Thanks for the reply Wes. I guess I could go take a volt meter and see if that empty slot has power and could test some of the others while the truck is off. I just want one that goes on and off with the truck, I don't need parking monitor mode. I was going to use 5 Amp fuse for the camera. It shouldn't matter which fuse I use pull and add a the fuse tap too long as it turns on and off with the truck correct? I basically pull out the fuse, lets say AM1, plug in the Fuse tap, put the original 5 A fuse in there and the new 5 A fuse for the camera. Then wire the red to the hard wire kit red and ground the black neutral on a bolt somewhere close by. Then just run and hide the wires to where I am mounting the camera?

This is the fuse tap I was thinking of getting.

https://www.amazon.com/Shipping-CIR..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=R2N0E0WBFC9JAAR63ZQD

4. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:43 AM
    EvilBetty

EvilBetty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 Access Cab
    Visor CD Holder
  5. Jul 29, 2016 at 9:56 AM
    hopz

hopz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    I saw that thanks! It was actually one I referenced and looked at. The 3D printed go pro mount attachment is pretty awesome. It was my original plan to try and utilize that mount. I than looked at your wiring, but I didn't want to touch my overhead power. I have a sun roof, so I didn't want to mess with all those wires and trying to remove the headliner. Figure it would be easier to just run it to the fuse block under the steering wheel. Do you know what IG1 stands for that you wired too? I have IG1 NO1, IG1NO2 and IG2.

6. Jul 29, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    hopz

hopz [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport DCLB
    I am also referencing https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/clean-hard-wired-dash-cam-install.358850/ . Almost the exact same install, just on a 2016 instead of a 2012 Tacoma. Just wanted to make sure I tap the correct fuse.

Also, I saw someone recommended sticking the adhesive to the 'block dots' right above the rear view mirror but making sure the camera lenses itself is below the dots. Stating that keeping the majority under the dots helps keep the camera cooler when sitting in the direct sun. I am a little apprehensive of sticking it on the 'black dots.' Has anyone tried this before?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. Aug 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM
    flynnr

flynnr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD ORDC
    How did that fuse tap work out for ya?

8. Aug 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    nilepoc

nilepoc Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR AC
    TRD rims, spacer leveling
  9. Aug 10, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Member:
    The Big Island, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 4x4 Access Cab / V-6 A/T Quicksand
    I recently saw in here where someone tapped the power to the mirror which eliminated the need to run wires from the fuse block. Sorry I don't spot the thread right now, but it looked easy.

10. Jan 31, 2020 at 11:38 AM
    Painter99

Painter99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Dclb magnetic grey
    out of all the comments and threads..this one helped me the most...thank you so much for making it easy

Products Discussed in

To Top