1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dash panel access

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Bone Head, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    Bone Head

Bone Head [OP] Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    What is the easiest way of getting in behind the cig lighter/aux power/aux input panel just below the temperature controls? Do you have decent access by removing the temp controls and radio?

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    How To...

Remove Climate Controls

First thing you will need to do is remove the Climate Controls. These cover the bolts that hold the factory stereo in place. With a large flat bladed screwdriver or putty knife, you can remove the climate controls without marring the dash or breaking the pins. It is fairly easy to do.

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

You can remove the panel by pulling outward on bottom once the bottom has be dislodged from the dash. This is what the Control Panel should look like once you have removed it.

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

Notice the white tabs on the corners. These are the snap tabs for the dash. These are sturdiest I have ever seen, but they are still breakable, so be careful! The two wiring harnesses into the Climate Control can be removed by pressing on the tabs in the center and pulling straight out. NOTE: all factory wiring harnesses will only go into the device they are designed for. You do not have to worry about plugging in the wrong harness into the wrong unit.

See Picture Below:
    [​IMG]

3. Sep 16, 2009 at 9:32 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    If I read this right, the OP wants to get behind the cig lighter area, BELOW the temperature controls.

To sum this up, it's Fort Knox down there.

If you click the link in my sig on my GPS writeup, you can see how close I came. If you read the factory manual, I stopped reading after they started talking about removing the gauge cluster, but I'm guessing you pretty much get to tear the entire dash apart.

If you simply want to access a +12V, I would splice off the stereo or do the add-a-fuse trick.

4. Sep 16, 2009 at 10:42 AM
    Bone Head

Bone Head [OP] Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    You read correctly. I may be able to do what I need by just removing the console. Sounds like that may be much easier.

Thanks for the advice

5. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    What do you want to do? Just curious.

6. Sep 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    :) good luck with whatever you do

Products Discussed in

To Top