1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daughter Wrecked my truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Raddbus, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 at 9:55 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    they are called crashes/collisions actually because 99% can be avoided. as well as "accidents" dont exist in the legal world. i think every one who gets there license must take a mandatory driver training course because people dont know how to friggin drive anymore. i dont see why following the damn rules is so hard, speeding just get on my nerves. as well as tail gating. drive for the weather, keep following distance, and drive defensively, and everything will be well. dont assume anything because people are idiots now adays

/rant

2. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:01 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    well said! and i could not agree more!

3. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:03 PM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    Thanks for calling me an idiot, I appreciate it.

And shit happens in this world, hence the word accident. And yes last I heard they didn't just hand out licenses, you do have to take several types of tests/training to get one.

Also nice of you to call the OPs daughter an idiot.

5. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:16 PM
    Raddbus

Raddbus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Santa Maria
    Vehicle:
    TRUE BLU TACO
    Illuminated 4X4 switch, 3" lift,
    Thanks for getting back on topic, 1. She is under age and I know all the pervs on this site, don't need to be displaying pics of my daughter on the internet. 2. She wasn't txting, thank god, the police officer asked her that and made her show him her phone. 3. Cars come and go, I've had many in the past that were all special to me but were are they now. So a auto is just an auto, but the special people in out lives are forever and that's all that matter. Thanks

6. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I wasn't aware that Driver's Ed was mandatory in any state... It's optional in NY where I grew up but you get an insurance break if you take it.

7. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas has a program where your parents can teach you starting at 15.

My dad started teaching me after obtaining a learner's permit at 15, 16 got my license. No accident and No tickets yet. :cool:

8. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    uuhhhh, pretty sure you do

and op, sorry your truck got screwed and its good that your daughter is fine, but letting her drive your 30k dollar truck with 4 months experience was just not a good idea. I know you probably trust her (well not so much anymore) but at four months there is just too much going on and you dont really know what you are doing.

The whole "accidents are accidents" is B.S. Now if somebody plowed into his truck while his daughter was driving it, then thats an "accident" for his daughter because it was not her fault and it was out of her control. But if the person (in this case, OPs daughter) is at fault it is not an accident, its a mistake. There is no excuse to get into a crash if you are driving right, going the right speed, paying adequate attention, leaving adequate stopping distance e.c.t.

9. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    oneshot808

oneshot808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R 4x4 GH05T
    Wet Okoles/Weather tech all around, LED's +HIDS, 6"Fabtech w/ Fox front & rear
    Glad she's okay. At least she rear ended someone with a Tacoma truck & she was not hurt.

Experience is the best teacher. At least she knows you support her.

10. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    That really sucks man, I can understand how you feel, my buddy was not paying attention one night and backed into the right box panel of my truck, and caved it in, it can be fixed, but the problem is trying to get through those asshole Progressive claim people! Been trying to call them almost constantly and it is really pissing me off!
    The main thing is, I am glad everyone is okay and you did not have a grieving loss on your hands!

11. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    This thread is exactly why my kids will be driving a $500 vehicle until they have a job that allows them to buy whatever they want. I have learned my lesson with the "emergency only" cell phone bills. I know what I drove like at that age, to assume they would be any different would be naive.

12. Dec 5, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    uuhh, read my above post, not everyone needs to take a driving course to teach you how to drive...

Letting a 16 year old drive a $30k truck may not have been a good idea but it also could be the reason she walked away. I'll bet the OP's $30k truck has a hell of a lot more safety features than a $1k beater. If she had the same collision in an old rust bucket, it could have been much worse. Hopefully the OP and his daughter both learned valuable life lessons through this experience.

13. Dec 5, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    It's the internet. Of course everyone is gonna say they're the best driver ever.

In Kansas it's optional. Everyone has to take the written test. After that, you can either present your certificate of completion for drivers' ed or go out in the DMV car with an instructor and prove you can drive.

14. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    this ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g?version=3

I mean just look at all the rust fly out of that old chevy compared to a newer chevy. I'd trust the frame and crumple zones in a newer vehicle than an older one.

15. Dec 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    Raddbus

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Santa Maria
    Vehicle:
    TRUE BLU TACO
    So my truck is at a local body shop I've know for many years so I trust they'll do a good job. I can go on their web site and see pics posted on the progress. I can't believe how fast this is getting taken care of, the truck was taken to the shop on wed for an estimate, here on monday they are already dis-assembling the truck, here is the only pic posted but it is progress. I'll keep everyone posted.

[​IMG]

16. Dec 6, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    Where did I call you or his daughter an idiot? I was just stating that people are idiots these day in no way implying said persons are. I used it for lack of better term of "careless" or "inexperienced" or "unaware" or "disrespectful" or "lacking responsibility" I suppose.

Anyway,
    in Canada(country of origin for me) no one has to take a mandatory driver training. You get your learners at 14(alberta) and your license at 16(alberta). And like I said they are not accidents but more collisions/crashes. This crash could of been prevented and if it can be prevented it is not an accident.

Accident: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss (dictionary.com)

Accident: An accident or mishap is an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance, often with lack of intention or necessity. It implies a generally negative outcome which may have been avoided or prevented had circumstances leading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence. (Wiki)

TL;DR Accidents are something that couldn't of been prevented. This situation could have.

I apologize for my ignorance of the concerned geographical location as I am going off of my local laws.

*Note: Most of my text is written from a point of view that is from Canada(Alberta Specifically) and is my opinion with some fact mixed in.*

*2nd Note: I do not take responsibility for some butt hurt I may have caused. Offended is an opinion*

I apologize for the unclear statement of calling people idiots as well.

17. Dec 6, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    RedTaco2134

RedTaco2134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Portland, Or
    Vehicle:
    08 Long Bed TRD Sport
    295/70/17 Cooper STT Pro, Revtek 3" lift. TSB rear and Blistein 5100's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3097063
    I know if my daughter wrecked my truck I would be very upset. Like you said she now has learned a valuable life lesson and it won't happen again. Glad to hear she is okay. The truck parts can be replaced, live's cannot. your truck will look the same in no time.

18. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Raddbus

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Santa Maria
    Vehicle:
    TRUE BLU TACO
    I spoke to the shop today, I asked what it might cost to have the black park of the grill and lower grill painted to match the truck. He said they would do it for $150. So the whole front will be Blue now. I think it will look good, I have only see one other truck on this site with this done. I did this to my previous car, a 03 Mazda Protege 5. I was thinking about adding a bullit grill but I think this will look great. What's everyone thought on paying $150? Hell i thought they would do it for free, they have to paint most of the front end anyway. Here is a link to see my old Baby. I traded her in for my New Baby. BTW, I think I like blue. http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/2237839

19. Dec 7, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Not sure how I feel about the look but I'd do it for $150 if it's something you want. I've only seen one other truck that has that done and it's a white Tacoma.

20. Dec 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    2011supercoma

2011supercoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    nola
    Vehicle:
    sr5 4x4, trd supercharged
    trd supercharger, afe cai, doug thorley lt hearders, magnaflow exhaust, rcd 4.5" lift with ome 883 springs, cbi ditch light mounts with rigid industry D2 spot lights,
    It's just a flesh wound.....

My daughter Is 2 and the only thing she drives is her lil barbie jeep. But when we get in the truck or better yet my boat any chance she gets she's reaching for the steering wheel. I hope if my daughter were to wreck my truck that shed be fortunate to walk away scratch free, like yours did.

Products Discussed in

To Top