1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DC Audio Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thatclaykid, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    thatclaykid

thatclaykid [OP] New Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    i'm a total noob. i'm looking to install some audio gear. i've got a 2009 prerunner dc in timberland mica (paint color is irrelevant) that is off getting some body work done, and i need to work on it as soon as it gets back so i can have it ready for spring break.
    here's what i want to install:
    • JL Audio Stealthbox (2 10inch w1v2's)
    • Kenwood Excelon KDC-X595
    • JL Audio C3-650's
    I already have all the speaker mounts and the single din conversion thing for the stereo. What amp would you suggest? Nothing expensive. It only needs to power the subwoofers. What all do I need wire-wise? Tell me everything. Any wiring advice would be appreciated too. Have any of you heard these speakers/subs, and if so, how did you like them?

2. Mar 28, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    thatclaykid

thatclaykid [OP] New Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    anyone at all?

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    I think the JL Stealthbox is too small to be effective for both speakers. This causes a higher power handling (within reason) but earlier natural roll off of frequencies.

With that said, it should do fine for a bit of bass.

If you only want to amp the subs, do you have a budget?

Size is also an issue. Where do you want to put the amp, and do you have size constraints because of this?

Something like a PDX, Kenwood XR1S, or similar would be my choice. This Alpine may work well too. Are you willing to buy used, or want a new product? With or without warranty?

Then get a wiring kit form Knuknoceptz.com (just do the 4ga, not a big price difference, good quality cable, $50+ shipping for the wire kit) and go to town.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Redhed

Redhed Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Polk Audio components, Rammat sound deadening & Ensolite, blacked out emblems, color matched grill, rhinolined rear bumper, shorty antenna, nerf bars, black Toyota trail edition rims, Sockmonkey vinyl, retrofit overhead temp/compass, JDM Altezza tailights, JDM Black Crystal headlights, Hella Black Magic driving lights, 20" dual row LED light bar.
    Jl makes good stuff. You'll need a standard amp wiring kit, depending on your watts. If you have steering wheel controls you'll need an interface. Go to crutchfield.com and do a vehicle search. Find your new headunit and buy the one it recommends. Take your time, and do some searches in here, theres a lot of helpful information. I recommend using some sound deadening material to keep road noise down and maximize your sound. Good luck. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top