1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DC Storage Bins in 08 RC

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by T@co_Pr3runn3r, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Apr 24, 2016 at 8:46 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r [OP] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Thanks to another thread on here another project was born. This one was to organize all the extraneous stuff I carry crammed behind and under the buckets. Scored a set of non-JBL double cab storage bins from cool fellow TWer. After some apprehension, speculating, measuring, hoping & will...dove in and removed the top trim under rr window. Just pops off from holes across back wall. The top of storage bins will use same holes and 4 bolt/washers down farther. Giving the jack bracket the evil eye because it either gets "removed" some way or bins would have to be slotted for it. End result was popping the spot welds with a breaker bar. I hated that being in the way even before this. Removed the carpet from back wall after test fit showed it'd be in the way. Bins have insulation on the back anyway. Side panels fill in corners and stay. So now have blank access to test fit driver side first. It popped right in place and the bolt holes lined right up. Solid mount with 2 bolts. OK, that side good, now what happens when we add passenger side and then how both fit connected together? Amazingly it all fit where and how it was supposed to. There was small gap up top between panel and rr window trim. I used an old door seal rubber to fill the gap after both pieces in place. The corner trim panels on each side were left in place and storage bin edges just overlapped them. Not perfect but acceptable. Nothing was done that can't easliy be undone in 10 minutes. One thing that was concern was passenger panel fitting behind the center console since truck has buckets. It was close but no problem. I dig the access to the shelf and flashlight holder and stuff behind passenger seat. Oh, super important thing......NO LEG ROOM WAS LOST......I have same seat position on both sides. Overall, rewarding mod that can be reversed easily if space needs change back there. Also added more black to interior. win win win all around so far. I don't expect any issues with how it rides. Nothing is loose where it should make any noise and seats back right up to bins and keep stuff in place perfectly. Here comes pics...............

white spot in pic above & below = child seat anchor. That one is welded on, left it.........

All stowed and ready to go...............

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Apr 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM
    KaptainH

KaptainH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 DCLB Sport
    Very cool- will make the market for these good for those going with Molle panels.

3. Apr 24, 2016 at 9:50 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bins for sale!

[​IMG]

Have some waiting. No line, no waiting.
    Would prefer local sale as shipping these beasts would be pricey.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  4. Apr 24, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    Kuntrykid

Kuntrykid Tacoholics R Us

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma 5spd access cab 4x4 red
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/kuntykid-builds-a-taco.406341/
    I have a access cab & have been wanting these since I bought the truck. Will they fit? &/or had somebody modded them to fit?

5. Apr 24, 2016 at 4:32 PM
    KaptainH

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 DCLB Sport
    Read the OP.. short answer is yes.

DrFunker likes this.
  6. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:10 PM
    Mothman

Mothman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Advance
    Vehicle:
    single cab
    Low and slow.. chopped up on 35s
    I need to get a set of buckets, and do this..

7. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM
    KaptainH

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2013 DCLB Sport
    I got a buddy at Wake Forest- he's moving to Birmingham, if he drives through and back to Winston Salem he can pick them up from me.

8. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:57 PM
    ISLANDJIM

ISLANDJIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Off Road
    Love the storage bins, no need for a truckbed tool box now the small number of items I like to carry fit in my storage bins. Good job on the install. Looks great.

9. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    Mothman

Mothman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Advance
    Vehicle:
    single cab
    Low and slow.. chopped up on 35s
    Thatd be cool. Pm me a price, I'm currently looking for a set of wrx seats

10. Apr 24, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    Kuntrykid

Kuntrykid Tacoholics R Us

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Sharpsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    2015 tacoma 5spd access cab 4x4 red
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/kuntykid-builds-a-taco.406341/
    K so how much? & is this gonna be a continuous thing cuz I'm shirt on money @ moment but am totally interested....

11. Apr 24, 2016 at 6:02 PM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    Haha that's so badass man. I didn't even realize you were putting them in your reg cab. Very nice job sir :thumbsup:

12. May 1, 2016 at 6:12 PM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Where did the jack and handle get relocated?

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  13. May 1, 2016 at 7:07 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Looks good OP

FYI , if you cut out the cast in shelf on the passenger side you can do something along these lines .

That shelf is pretty useless and it makes the rest of that bin kinda useless too

14. May 2, 2016 at 3:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    You can see the jack standing in the storage bin toward left of pic between plastic bag with cargo net in it and the spare drive belt. The bag with handle stuff is standing on edge in front of lower side in front of jack to keep it from moving around.

Also, I like having that shelf there. I will use it for small stray crap for whatever mission I'm on to stay in that that usually ends up in passenger seat, console cubby or floorboard. I like it being empty and covering the stuff below when not in use so you don't see all the crap back there between the buckets. Shelf would be useless to me if I had bench seat. Plenty of room for all the stuff I need in the truck on full time basis. Nothing crammed under the seats anymore so I do have that extra space if ever needed. My axe/shovel ride in back.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    OZ-T and tomwil[QUOTED] like this.
  15. May 2, 2016 at 5:43 AM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    Beat me to the punch... I already had plans to do this...thanks for confirming it fit (mostly). I got the passenger side yesterday...now I need to find driver side. Just have to find time to install powered 4runner seats.

I married my tacoma likes this.
  16. May 2, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade NOOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garage Most Likely
    Vehicle:
    DCFB (RIP)
    Some Stuff
    Me too! Lol!

DrFunker[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 7, 2016 at 11:15 PM
    imom

imom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CAL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab
    T@co_Pr3runn3r How much overlap was there between the bins and the corner trim pieces? Is it something a dremel tool can remove for better fit? Was the bins connected to the back walls with only the 2 screws for the driver and passenger bins each? I noticed there was another screw hole opening on the driver bin that would probably also needed to be secure in a DC taco that's not there in a regular cab. I asked another member with double cab and he told me there's a bracket that's welded/rivet in place.

18. May 9, 2016 at 3:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    There is a few inches of overlap at bottom. They kinda angle out a bit. Based on how they fit all bolted up there would be no point in trimming because they still wouldn't mate up. The corner pieces in the DC's are different shape to do so. They stick out farther from backwall to mate up to bins. Yes, there are only 2 bolts in each bin that line up in the RC. As you were told there is a bracket for the bottom hole on the passenger side bin the isn't in the reg cab. Between the pop in fasteners across the top and the 4 bolts with flat washers that just fit the bolt divots, it is plenty sturdy. And when the seats are pushed back they hold the whole thing in place as well. Stuff doesn't have anywhere to go.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  19. May 9, 2016 at 4:21 AM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    I have bins as well haha Located in Boone NC and heading west in a Week. I will load them up and deliver them within a reasonable distance of my route :D

20. May 9, 2016 at 6:46 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    FS: Bins

Products Discussed in

To Top