1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DD SSC2's wiring question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by swils, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Feb 20, 2021 at 2:10 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    That harness is fucked... and appears to not be the right one. Shoot me a pm and we’ll get you fixed up. I’m on my phone at the moment so I’m limited.

2. Feb 20, 2021 at 2:14 PM
    Puppypunter

Puppypunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black SR
    I wish @Diode Dynamics would have flipped the deutsch receptacle 180° so you could use a 90° boot adapter! Not sure it would have helped you though. What ditch light brackets are those?

also, if you ever want to get funky with the back light (like extra turn signals is my personal favorite), let me know :) We can cook up a plug-n-play solution

3. Feb 20, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    swils

swils [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR Blazing Blue, MT
    Didn't seem awful, I had the electrical tape on standby, but I'll get a PM your way!

It definitely felt like a missed opportunity for a 90* adapter! It's an Amazon lookalike to the caliraiseds, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MHD7JX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll settle for getting them all wired up for now, but who knows what the future holds, I'll keep ya in mind!

4. May 8, 2021 at 6:57 PM
    cosmic65charlie

cosmic65charlie Consumer of good times.

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR AC
    Offroad stuff, Audio stuff, Cooler full of beer

So I received the same harness. Is it in fact the incorrect one? Mine do fit because the lights are angled and I have SDHQ brackets which push the light further from the windshield. It’s a nice harness, but seems like not really designed for ditch lights? The boot on the connector adds like an extra inch off the back of the light. It’s definitely up on windshield with hood open, though not with too much pressure. More concerned with how heavy the jacket of is, the curve down is too much stress on the connector and is definitely a weak point.

if I wanted these facing straight ahead, probably couldn’t open the hood and these definitely wouldn’t work with the DD brackets.

62A70642-8341-47E8-B39C-A3C83745FC6C.jpg

1AC190B5-3078-4583-90EC-C3729B2B6DF0.jpg

Tcodyw88 likes this.
  5. May 12, 2021 at 8:56 PM
    Tcodyw88

Tcodyw88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD offroad
    I’ve been waiting for my set on backorder from DD so I haven’t actually seen how big the light is with their Deutsch style connector plug connected to the back. Ive been trying figure out what the minimum rear clearance is for the plug. That seems long enough it should be referenced in the product specifications sheet tho. With that said I’m really looking forward to receiving mine when they get here.

6. May 13, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Don et al, I thought we had this all figured out as I thought there were changes coming to it... This model of harness with the overmolded rear plug is actually the "upgraded" version, but it clearly has clearance issues in certain applications. I'm glad it works in your scenario, but I completely understand where it may not work in some others. I have forwarded this on to the DD team, and will tag them here as well to hopefully get some more visibility on it. You guys are the only ones who have brought forth direct concerns, but I doubt this is localized to only you.

@Diode Dynamics - I've brought this up before, but we definitely need to get it addressed sooner than later.

@swils this is why you haven't seen anything show up from me yet! I am sorry it is taking so long.

swils[OP] and Tcodyw88[QUOTED] like this.
  7. May 13, 2021 at 6:35 AM
    cosmic65charlie

cosmic65charlie Consumer of good times.

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR AC
    Offroad stuff, Audio stuff, Cooler full of beer
    @memario1214 Appreciate the response and that you've been more than helpful answering my questions and resolving the slight issues with my order. More than likely, will just unplug lights when I need the hood up for an extended amount of time, it's really not a big deal and will eliminate stress on that connector. Hopefully if a new and improved harness is made available those of us with this one can get a replacement sent or a decent discount if we'd like to buy the new harness.

@Diode Dynamics while I typically appreciate things that are super heavy duty, it seems to me that in this case, the harness is a bit over engineered. I know that this is used for multiple applications but it's not a great harness for ditch lights at all. Besides the plug size extending too far from the harness (a 90 degree plug would be amazing), the jacketing on the cables is way too thick and rigid. If it was thinner and more flexible it would be a lot easier to route from under hood up to the lights and make the bends where you need to make them. On the plus side, it looks a lot better with the molded rear as opposed to the other pictures I've seen where the thin jacket simply ends and the end of the wiring are exposed.

antlab67 and Tcodyw88 like this.
  8. May 14, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    swils

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR Blazing Blue, MT
    @memario1214 no worries! I've had plenty enough other projects to keep my idle hands busy on this truck!

9. May 14, 2021 at 6:49 AM
    vorkuta775

vorkuta775 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    tesla truck
    why would you put in all that effort just so the backlights can come on when your HB are on? that makes no sense. Why not just depin it and not use it all together or not run them at all? with the high beams are on no one can see them because of the brightness levels.

10. May 14, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:
    I think you're reading his intended use case incorrectly.

90% of the time when the truck is on and running (aka tied to ignition) he wants the backlights on. The only time he would like something different to occur is when he hits his high beams at which point the backlight turns off and the primary beam turns on. The SSC2 has a logic circuit inside of it where the backlight and the primary beam cannot be on at the same time anyway.

Also, SSC2 HARNESS UPDATE - I know that there has been some concern raised about the "new" SSC2 harnesses (let's call them v1.2). They feature an overmolded connector and stiffer wire sheathing that can lead to some pinching or binding effects when installed in a tighter clearance application. In most applications this leads to a more robust design which can be good. I raised the concerns that were driven from here, and there may have been others from external sources, but I am happy to report that there is a "v1.3" that has neared the end of engineering and is awaiting components for construction! It should be more pliable, but since I am not the OEM I don't have all of the details. A rep from DD allowed me to share that any folks who are experiencing issues will be afforded the opportunity to swap out their harness at no cost.

:cheers:

11. May 14, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    vorkuta775

vorkuta775 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    tesla truck
    maybe I am just a dumb army grunt remember?

12. May 14, 2021 at 7:39 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    I always knew. I just didn't want to hurt your feelers and tell everyone else about it :p

13. Sep 17, 2021 at 2:11 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE TIME!

The V1.3 Harnesses are LIVE. They feature a design which will allow you to plug in and turn the corner much more quickly than the outgoing overmolded harness would.

@swils & @CreoUCLA I know that you guys both need a new harness. Anyone else who is in the same scenario referenced above please ping me with your order number, what you ordered, and your shipping info (just so that I don't have to search for it again) and I will pass your information onto DD for processing!

I told you I hadn't given up! :fistbump:

14. Sep 17, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    swils

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR Blazing Blue, MT
    Haha, awesome! I've been far too busy to even deal with wiring these so they've sat as pretty hood decorations for now!

memario1214[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top