1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM tuning HID's -venting!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by erion109, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    BradleyJ33

BradleyJ33 Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB S/C'd
    TRD Supercharger with URD 2.825" Pulley, Toytec Ultimate Lift, LR UCAs, BFG All Terrain 275/70R17s on Procomp 7089 17" wheels, BAMF rock sliders, Viper 5902 alarm/remote start with smartstart, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT dvd/navi head unit, 2 Pioneer 7" monitors in headrests, 2 Rockford Fosgate Shallow-mount 10" subs pushed by RF Punch 500.2 amp, RF 5.25 components (front doors) and 5.25 full range (back doors) pushed by RF Power 400.4 amp, sound deadened, Whistler pro remote radar detector, scangauge II, debadged, Sockmonkey decals, blacked headlights with FX-R projectors, DDM Tuning HID fogs, Grillcraft upper and lower MX grill with Hella 500ffs converted to HIDs behind, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump upgrade, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, Bestop Supertop, Wet Okole seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Pop & Lock tailgate handle, Lighted 4x4 switch mod, 2 110v AC outlets in cab mod, Always at 400W mod, Maplights on with dome light mod, homelink in headliner mod, foglight
    I've had similar issues. Gotten one ballast replaced, then the hi/lo relay melted inside on the plugs and so they replaced that, but it's still having issues. Now high beams aren't working. I'm ordering the stuff for my retro this week and scrapping all the DDM crap as soon as I get the retro completed.

2. Jun 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    UPDATE:

They called me back today and we went over some trouble shooting. All I had to do was switch the plug from the relay 180 degrees into the ballast. He said sometimes the ballast have opposite currents (idk why).

But in any case, idk why I didn't think of doing that in the first place. I just automatically assumed that plugging in the harness the correct way was right :rolleyes:

end result:

HPIM2037_430bceb789cb44149aea44eb96677f8d1ae552fd.jpg

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. I just thought I'd provide a rebuttal to what I said earlier.

3. Jun 22, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    My theory is that most people assume that it shines forward and not outward. If that was the case the shield up top would effectively work like a projector shield, however with reflectors, it does just that and reflects so you need to block the bottom.

Doesnt matter for my anymore, Im running Fx-r projectors :D

4. Jun 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    just installed my 55w hi/low kit and it works amazing
    i have had the fogs done for about 6 months and no problems...
    been under salt water, snow, mud...ect no problems at all
    most people get mad about the shipping times....everyone wants everything yesterday...
    but if you can get over that then these are great...and the price.....lifetime warranty...
    well worth it i think

5. Jun 23, 2010 at 12:02 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    What is the difference between forward and outward? A projector does not have a shield neither on top or bottom of the capsule. The shield is in front of the capsule between the bowl and the glass in a projector.

6. Jun 23, 2010 at 2:47 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    idk why people are getting all crazy cause their HIDs burn out...most kits in general are hit or miss. ive known some of my friends to buy the crappiest ebay kits and they work fine for the longest time and no problems, and some buy better quality kits and they crap out fast, or have problems with them.

it's just a fact about HIDs in general, unless you go with a phillips kit or something (baller status), they are pretty finicky, but you will get some good ones. my old kit (not DDM) lasted around a year, which is alright, not great but i do almost all my driving at night

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jun 23, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    ^^^^ well said.

8. Jun 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    [FONT=&quot]Sorry for confusion in what I am saying.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    I was telling the other guy that most people would assume the shield on those aftermarket HID kits would go on top to block that light that would shine up into traffic, neglecting the fact that the light is reflected. What I am referring to on forward vs outward is that, at least in my experience, most people assumed that the light is output in the direction along the length of the bulb instead of shining outward from all glass surfaces of the bulb. But in any case, I digress, this is just from people I have been dealing with.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Yea, the shield is as you described for sure in a projector, which is how you achieve the cutoff. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My reference about forward to outward was just assumption most people make when putting aftermarket PNP kits into reflector housings. This point is moot when using true HID like my FX-r’s with D2s bulbs or whatever setup you are running. (I am pretty sure you are retro’d too right? I think i used your pictures as inspiration to do mine)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In any case, back to the thread topic. I like my DDM ballasts, but I haven’t heard the greatest about their D2s bulbs.[/FONT]

9. Jun 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    erion109

erion109 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT
    Weathertech FR & RR, DDM Tuning HID 55W 5000k Bi-Xenon, ARE topper, Yellow painted fog-lamp mod, anytime fog-lamp, Ipod interface, Red Top OPTIMA, Bilstein 5100s and 1.5 Toytech AAL, Redline Hoodstruts and EZdown tailgate.
    Well here's my update. Got the replacement ballast very quickly, installed them and the worked perfectly. Then two days later, the right side would not fire. I was left in a parking lot for about 30 minutes. Double checking all my connections and ground. After cycling the switch about 30 times, the light finally fired. So, I'm back at square one. Now I'm out a $15 admin fee and probably $60 for the advance replacement on the ballast which made no difference. All of this at DDMs recommendation. VERY frustrated! I'm leaving in the morning for military training, so I guess I'll deal with it in a month when I get back.

10. Jun 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    One of my ballast gave out in the first five minutes i turned them on! Just got off the phone with ddm waiting for them to call me back about sending me a new ballast. I wonder if they will call back?

11. Jun 28, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Ha! Don't hold your breath.

12. Jun 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    They actually called me back within 24 hours when I had my problem

13. Jun 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i have had mine headlights a2 weeks and my fogs 6 months and they work great....
    shipping is a lil long but the price makes up for it.....
    hope everything works out
    and i have had them under salt water and been powerwashed many times..
    just my 2 Cents

14. Jul 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Sorry to hear that. I LOVE MINE personally

15. Jul 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    6 sets here and all have worked no problem. Remember they have a lifetime warranty

16. Jul 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    phillips, denso, or matsushita are not "baller status" HID components, they are just quality! HIDs are NOT supposed to only last a year (or less in many cases w/ DDM!) or have burned out ballasts even if you do all your driving at night! they dont have to be finicky at all.

you just need to not buy crappy kits. i like to say it like this...kit HIDs are like harbor freight tools...cheap, good if you only need a few times, but for a little more, you can get a tool that will last a much longer time and not give you so many headaches!

17. Jul 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    CRfofiddyF

CRfofiddyF Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD OR 4x4
    yosh - can you make any recommendations or suggestions on where to get the kits?

18. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    My question for you, since you said you went with the 55w lo/hi kit, would be.......Did you bother to get the battery harness and/or did you bother wiring it up? I would be concerned with wiring issues/ballasts burning out and such with a 55w kit and no battery harness. I even used that harness with the 35w kit in mine. I have had no issues whatsoever, knock on wood, with the ones on the car or the truck.

19. Jul 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    theretrofitsource.com. matt will take good care of you! be aware, the kits in this site are NOT PNP, they are retrofit kits. acually, w/ the exception of the new morrimoto minis (but you still need to take apart your headlights to get them in there).

20. Jul 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    I disagree with this somewhat. I have a few HF tools that I use very often with no problems and I am glad I saved a good amount of money just as I am happy with the DDM products

Products Discussed in

To Top