1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

De-badging/Painting badges/ Re-badging

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by NumNutz, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Aug 28, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I did mine in gloss black, and to be honest, it's really not very shiney. The parts are so small there's really not much surface area to reflect the light off of to make them look glossy.

If you're worries about them looking too glossy, don't. ;)

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    not near as tedious as peeling the red off the tape! :D now THAT was stinkin' tedious!!!! And, after doing mine, I realized that the paint won't stand up to a high pressure washer after a good mudding - so I got a few more decals and am getting them powder coated black alongside my tubes and arctic bull bar.

3. Sep 3, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    that sucks here is mine i will debadge and not put any thing on if the paint comes off i have 4 coats on these with 2 to 4 hours of intervals between each coat.

IMG00295.jpg
    IMG00298.jpg

4. Sep 4, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    Sweet I think I'll give it a try this weekend some time then. I need to work on my painting skills and I think this would be a perfect little exercise before I start doing things to my interior and possibly grill in the near future.

5. Sep 4, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    thestrangebrew

thestrangebrew AlphaPlanner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Dos Palos CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Rugged Trail Edition
    Black Badges, Black Center Console
    Has anyone used Motsenbockers (sp?) Lift off to remove the adhesives from the badges? Looking online, I don't see any goo gone carried in my area.

6. Sep 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    Wing

Wing 2015 World Series Champions!

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TSS
    YELLOW LAMINEX FOGS K&N 63 SERIES CAI WINDOW FLARES STUBBY ANTENNA WEATHERTECH MATS
    IYO, what would the best color be for badges on a MGM Taco? Trying to get some ideas here.

Also, has anyone used decal sheets on their badges? For instance, after debadging, sanding, and priming, cutting to fit and adhering an American flag on the badges? Just thought that a well thought out theme scheme on the badges wouldn't look too bad.

7. Sep 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    I have a MGM, I think I'm going to use a flat black paint

8. Sep 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    Homewrecker

Homewrecker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco Access cab TRD sport 4x4
    Thanks OP for the great DIY. I'm definitely going to try this project on my Super white taco. One question for anyone that used the 3m tape...how thick is the tape? would it protrude too much to be noticeable when you stick the emblems back on?

Thanks peeps!

9. Sep 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    +1

I just cleaned up my tailgate and it looks GREAT with out the chrome!!!!!

Yuma Taco,

PS: will do the rest later and maybe paint the Tocoma's black.

10. Sep 14, 2009 at 4:53 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Not sure about the actual thickness of the 3M tape, but you will be able to see it.

Someone posted a tip earlier about taking a sharpie marker and colring the edge of the tape black before reapplying the badges.

If I did mine again, I'd apply the tape before painting them. That way the edge of the tape would be painted the same color as the badges., and you don't take the chance of damaging the paint while putting the tape on the back of them.

11. Sep 14, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    jaylow

jaylow New Member

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport
    I second that, apply the tape before painting. That way the edges get painted to match the badge and you won't scratch the new paint either.

12. Sep 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM
    Homewrecker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys for the tip! What do you guys think about the "emblem glue" that they sell at auto parts stores? I better just stick with 3m tape...I'll post oics up after. Thanks for your time!

13. Sep 14, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:

NOOOOOO!!!!! Absolutely do not use the emblem glue. It's messy and from what I have heard it's a bit to strong. Just use the 3M RED double sided tape, NOT the green plaid backed stuff.

14. Sep 14, 2009 at 8:40 PM
    Homewrecker

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the warning Snyper! :smack: I will listen. I'll post up pics after!

15. Sep 16, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    00YotaComa

00YotaComa HAWAII SELLS MORE TACOMAS THAN ANY OTHER STATE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    1in. leveling kit, Deck plate mod, grey wire mod, K&N Filter , custom paint, Cyron LED lighting, head and tail blackouts
    Hey Socal, great job! Just a couple of suggestions that might help u or the next guy. Instead of the heating up ur panels and using fishing line, maybe try heating up a paint scraper and use it like a "hot knife thru butter". Reason being, it's better NOT to expose ur plastic, metal and paint to that much concentrated heat. Let the scraper take all that. Also, maybe run over ur badging with some Scotch Brite before adhesion promoter, just to give it the best possible surface to stick too. Not trying to "show you up" in any way, just used to paint cars and have taken off my fair share of badges.....wait,......."Badges,.....we don't need no stinking badges!":D

16. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:

I just want to toss this out there. If you do use a paint scrapper, assuming you are talking a metal one, you more than likely will damage the paint as you use it. The fishing line is much more forgiving on the paint surface behind the badges. Also I used a heat gun on the low setting and as long as you are careful and not putting the heat gun right up on the plastic you will be fine. IF you try and use the heat gun on the highest setting only 3 inches from the truck, yes, you will potentially damage the badge as well as the paint on the truck. I used 15 lb test line and it worked perfect.

17. Sep 16, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    James08

James08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO
    I did mine with 6 lb line and a girls hair dryer set on low heat. It worked well.

18. Sep 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    sdel82

sdel82 Active Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    09 dbl cab
    Just finished taking off the badges. I used Berkley Trilene 25lb. It was easy. I was able to just rub the residual off with my fingers. Both the truck and badges. After that I used some alchohol prep pads and cleaned the areas as there was a small amount of residual left. Not sure if i'm gonna paint them or leave them off. Silver streak w/ black badges or nothing? Gonna sleep on it.

19. Sep 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    I used 20lb braided fishing line. No heat.

20. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    i did mine, but when i put my emblems back on i can see holes through the top and the white edge of the tape is showing i think i might just take them off and be debadged

Products Discussed in

To Top