1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer gave me the finger on diff vibration issue...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Frostbyte, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Toyota customer service won't do everything. I had a disagreement with my dealership about the rear leaf TSB. They refused to do it even after I called and complained to Toyota corp. They said their hands were tied.

I ended up loading the bed full of 1200lb of quickrete concrete mix to show them the truck cannot carry its full capacity due to issues with the leaf pack.

They finally took care of it, after I returned the 1200lb back to Lowes. I got my workout that day.

2. Nov 27, 2011 at 11:03 AM
    spidy3

spidy3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    10 DC TRD Off Road
    Good to hear your truck is fixed!

Btw... Im a tech at a Toyota dealer and I personally go for about 2 rides per week (and only work 3 days a wk) with customers complaining of a squeak, rattle, vibration, etc. If we cant make the noise or not sure which noise out of 10 noises they want fixed, the customer gets asked if they want a tech to go for a ride with them when they come pick up their car.

That dealer is why other ones lose business and people go to midas

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    Hard

Hard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    H
    Vehicle:
    4X4X4
    ^^^This case is about the rear vibe....

O.P. Since you say it went away after 4WD is engaged I assume you are talking about the front differential vibe. I am anxious to hear what the TSB says as well. Is your truck modified at all?

4. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD OR Manual
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    I read the tsb at the dealership, it doesn't have to do anything with the driveline and it specifically mentions the 4x4 differential

5. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    How many miles on your 07?

6. Nov 28, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Can you post the TSB number?

7. Nov 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels
    31k and some change

read post 16

8. Nov 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB

Thanks, actually read the post and for some reason didn't register that you would do it later this week. Thanks!

9. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    Frostbyte

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    sorry for the late reply guys, worked 73.5 hours last week, and have 48 this week already. still trying to recover.

Whatever TSB the dealer did to my truck actually made it worse, so they are going to order me up a new front end and it should arrive at the dealership tomorrow.

I didnt get a chance to get the TSB number.... sorry guys.

10. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    I was a tech at Toyota here and we were the same. I would go out at least once a week with customers about squeeks, vibrations, rattles, clicks, ticks, whatever.
    I dont see why the other dealer wouldnt look closer. Techs get paid for warranty repairs at the same pay rate as non-warranty work. And paying for diagnostic on a warranty item is ridiculous.

I dont get why some dealers cause such a stink about warranty issues. We loved them because we got paid without having to deal with customers hemming and hawing over prices and stuff. Warranty was win/win/win. Customer wins because they get free stuff, tech is happy because its work, and dealer was happy because warranty paid them more than they pay out to the tech.

11. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    holy crap, what an ordeal!

12. Dec 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    yodaman

yodaman Active Member

Member:
    Bellingham
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4 V6 Automatic
    Yokohama tires Skyjacker canopy add more later
    Had the same issue with my 07 Tacoma. I purchased it from the dealership with a leveling kit. Took it in within 7 days to complain about the vibrations at 20 and 40 mph that go away in 4x4. Took it in a total of 4 times. One visit they said it was a driveline issue but charged me $90 because they couldn't diagnose it. My mechanic found the same TSB you had done. Had it done with a refund of my $90. It didn't help. Finally took it to a driveline shop. Within a half n hour and $0 dollars charged to me he diagnosed it as the front differential. He has replaced them on Tacomas 2005 and newer. Went back to the stealership a 5th time and threw a fit. Finally they said they would replace the differential one time. After waiting for days due to the wrong parts being ordered it was replaced. On the bottom of my paperwork they capitalized that I have a leveling kit and that the noise is fixed for now! Jerk move. Anywho, truck rides amazing and I fixed my fan and seat squeak. Needless to say I am now buying my wife an Odysssey instead of a Sienna. PM if you have any questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top