1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer replaced the driveshaft on my '09 AC due to trans leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toast, May 7, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    toast

toast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So from first posting in this thread today my dealer replaced my driveshaft on my 09 Prerunner AC to fix a small trans leak. I don't know of a site where I can search for a TSB definition by TSB number so maybe someone can help me out.

TSB # 0088-10370021

Just an FYI in case anyone is noticing a trans leak. The tech said the TSB number I originally gave him is now outdated (TSB: 0173-09 or 90311-40034)

2. May 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    Scarab21

Scarab21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tint, tinted tails + 3rd brake light, shaved tailgate, painted calipers. TSB Leafs+ AAL, PA/CB, 5100 Bilsteins set @ 2.5 up front. Satoshi line-x'd grill.
    o man i gotta look this info up.. i have it.. just got mine done today..

3. May 6, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    This is an odd failure and I will get more specifics from the dealership once the repair is done but I have just over 54000 miles on my 2009 Taco and noticed some transmission fluid sprayed on the underbelly of the beast. Before even knowing about any of the TSBs I thought transmission oil seal for the drive shaft yoke (the part which fits into the rear of the transmission). It's an easy fix and I almost considered doing it myself but hell, I'm under warranty still so let those folks take care of it. They told me it was the drive shaft and it needs to be replaced and possibly 2 days to get the truck back to me (loaner car was offered).

So I'm not sure why the drive shaft needs to be replaced unless there was a manufacturing defect where maybe the yoke shaft is not perfectly round or slightly too small which would jeopardize the seal. Heck it could be crappy metal which rusts and that would cause premature seal failure too. Of course if it was the yoke, why not just replace the yoke instead of the entire drive shaft? Must be a money thing I'm sure. Lots of speculation on my part but I'll see if I can get that information out of the repair shop.

Products Discussed in

To Top