1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer said can't diagnose heavy cabin vibration because I have aftermarket wheels and tires

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 17trdoffroadbel, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jul 1, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    17trdoffroadbel

17trdoffroadbel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    What do you guys think?

Had this vibration building up till now it's very bad at 70+mph. Steering wheel shaking, cabin vibrating, plastic water bottles shaking in the bottle holders, pedal vibrating, stickshift vibrating visibly. Does the same thing on two different sets of wheels and tires, one of which were nearly new tires on TRD Pro wheels.

Took it into the dealer and surprisingly, the service manager himself bounce right out, all smiles and stuff. Asked a bunch of fairly technical questions, like are the wheels hub centric, have you done any suspension mods, is it doing it in certain gears, under power, does it vibrate more on one set of wheels and tires or the other, etc. Like he was coached. Believe me, the average service manager doesn't know any of this because he's a glorified salesman, not a tech.

Ran to the tech after I talked to him, and came back and said that the tech think's it a driveline issue, BUT, because I have aftermarket wheels & tires (purchased new and roadbalanced TWICE at Discount Tire), they cannot do any warranty diagnosis or repairs, because Toyota "requires the vehicle be returned to stock condition". I told him it did the same thing on the TRD Pro wheels that I PURCHASED THERE, and he smiled and said well I believe you but those wheels aren't what's on it now.

He also said that they can't check it at the speeds I told him it happens at because it's not legal to drive at those speeds, and Toyota doesn't promise it will perform adequately or as promised at speeds above the legal limit.

I was sitting there getting irritated, and he went on to imply that should a set of stock wheels be purchased from there, a warranty repair could be authorized. Then, when I said that was unreasonable, he offered a alignment and alignment check, and then if that didn't solve it, a wheel balance on already perfectly balanced wheels, at a cool 20 bucks a wheel (discount tire roadforce balances on request for free on wheels & tires you bought there). But basically, the implication seems to be that until I put a set of Toyota wheels, preferably purchased from them, on the truck, NO warranty diagnosis or repair of the vibration.

Again, both the TRD Pro wheel/tire combo and the aftermarket set (which has Blizzaks that were purchased new) on them, were both roadforce balanced twice each, recently, at discount tire.

Thoughts?

2. Jul 1, 2019 at 10:42 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    Sounds about right. If they won't budge then try another dealer. Magnuson moss act whatever ain't going to save you.

Find another dealer

Find another dealer

/Thread

12TRDTacoma, Madtown, hyphur and 3 others like this.
  3. Jul 1, 2019 at 10:45 PM
    Jonkim

Jonkim Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB sport
    I would take my car there. Sounds like that service department is on top of their stuff.

If I were you I would put your stock wheels back on and take it to them.

You can tell him all you want that it still shakes with stock wheels but if the dealer can not replicate it with the stock wheels they don’t have to warranty anything on your vehicle.

4. Jul 1, 2019 at 10:50 PM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    I no longer have the wheels. My issue is that sure it's possible the wheels are causing it (remotely, since the TRD pro wheels, which I sold, also do it), but they're supposed to diagnose it and let me know, and if it's my part's fault, sure, I'll pay for it, that's fair, I agree. But they're actually refusing to do diagnosis of any sort until the stock parts are on. This place has some burr up its ass about any aftermarket parts or fluids of any sort. One of the service advisers refused to do a check on my transmission because I had perfectly adequate, compatible aftermarket fluid in there, and told me to go to another dealer for service from then on.

5. Jul 1, 2019 at 11:38 PM
    Kevin8se7en

Kevin8se7en Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno OR
    Lift kit and/or bigger wheels/tires often leads to warranty issues. This is nothing new.

That said - try a different dealer.

6. Jul 1, 2019 at 11:40 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 4WD TRD Off Road in White
    They do not have to do anything and they were entirely correct. Their job is to get a stock vehicle operating like a stock vehicle. Unless they sold and installed the wheels and tires then they are right on.

7. Jul 1, 2019 at 11:41 PM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    They're actually exactly OEM size, both wheels and tires, fyi. And no suspension or drivetrain hardware mods of any kind. I agreed to the alignment because they gave me a discount and it's plausible one might be required by now, but if that doesn't solve it, that's what I'm worried about. Sick of dealer shopping just to find one that isn't a complete asshole.

QuicksandTaco and FFBlack like this.
  8. Jul 1, 2019 at 11:53 PM
    Ronzio

Ronzio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRDOR
    The warranty is a performance contract between the owner of the vehicle and Toyota...the dealer is not a party to that contract they are only the authorized agent to perform such work. Yes the can deny the work because they are not a party to the performance contract just go to another dealer or request thru the dealer to have the Toyota regional rep look at the vehicle but if you give them the evidence to deny a claim then that’s going to be on you.

Boghog1 likes this.
  9. Jul 2, 2019 at 12:51 AM
    Qwack

Qwack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4 2017 4Runner
    you just convinced me to stay stock until my warranty is up

El Tano, Lit_ORTaco and BookieBob like this.
  10. Jul 2, 2019 at 1:36 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    They don’t have a set of stock wheels sitting around that they could swap on for a test run?

Taco1.1 and Big tall dave like this.
  11. Jul 2, 2019 at 3:14 AM
    Hinker25

Hinker25 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Access Cab
    I’m sure they would be happy to diagnose if you paid them.

Bottom line, you changed something on the vehicle and now complain it has problems related to what you changed. No dealer is under obligation to do anything until it is stock. Nobody likes a whiner.

12. Jul 2, 2019 at 3:29 AM
    808veedub

808veedub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 tundra crewmax 2016 trd sport tacoma
    Did it vibrate when truck was bone stock and had the original rims and tires?

13. Jul 2, 2019 at 3:37 AM
    Pyrotech

Pyrotech Well-Known Member

Member:

Speed limit is 85 in parts of Texas.. 130 toll south of Austin to San Antonio. And 80 north of austin to I35

xxTacocaTxx and GreyBaldTaco like this.
  14. Jul 2, 2019 at 5:59 AM
    Chew

Chew Not so well known user

Member:
    First Name:
    Chewy
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
    Amazon dog poo bed mat mod
    The dealer is there to turn a profit, if they don't think they can, they refuse the work. They know what they can and cannot claim under warranty, for reimbursement from Toyota. If they can't get reimbursed, and they can tell you already think you don't owe anything, then that's most likely why they're passing

The dealer doesn't have to look at your vehicle, but Toyota is required to warranty per their contract.

15. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:00 AM
    Chew

Chew Not so well known user

Member:
    First Name:
    Chewy
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
    Amazon dog poo bed mat mod
    Very good question!
    Best bet, is to try another dealer, and start looking for takeoffs.

17trdoffroadbel[OP] likes this.
  16. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:06 AM
    Chad_QS18

Chad_QS18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Quicksand Tacoma Offroad
    Slammed on 16s
    A winter tire on summer temp roads is never really a good idea. As everyone else has said, the dealer is not in the wrong here. Id check the regional forum for your area and see if a TW member has some stock wheels to throw on for a couple of days to get your issues diagnosed.

Dryfly24, th3118, Madtown and 2 others like this.
  17. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:07 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    I’m sure they would be happy to diagnose if you paid them.

I think people might be confused about what is going on here. I have a vibration, that occured both with the Toyota wheels I bought at the dealer, and with the ones I bought at discount tire. Both sets are stock size and have stock sized tires on them. Both sets are perfectly straight, not even curb rash on them or any bends. Both sets have been roadforce balanced twice a piece at discount tire, recently. I have no suspension or driveline mods of any sort.

The way I expected the dealer conversation to go:

We will be happy to diagnose this issue and let you know what's going on, including repair estimate and options. However, if the issue does end up being your aftermarket wheels and tires, you will be responsible for the diagnosis and repair costs.

The way the dealer conversation actually went:

We cannot diagnose the vehicle condition at all until it is in bone stock condition with the wheels and tires, per Toyota. You will need to buy a set of wheels and put them on, preferably from us. We can throw money at the problem, such as doing alignment and balancing, which you pay for, but no diagnosis.

18. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:08 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill
    I was thinking the same thing.

17trdoffroadbel[OP] likes this.
  19. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:10 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    Did it vibrate when truck was bone stock and had the original rims and tires?

No. Vibration started about 10k miles ago on the TRD wheels (these are the 16in TRD Pro wheels DESIGNED for the Tacoma, NOT the 17in from the 4runner) and has gotten progressively worse on either set of wheels and tires.

20. Jul 2, 2019 at 6:12 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill
    Who is the dealer involved?

Products Discussed in

To Top