1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealer said can't diagnose heavy cabin vibration because I have aftermarket wheels and tires

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 17trdoffroadbel, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:01 AM
    sigrooms

sigrooms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 Auto DCSB w/JBL
    You modified the vehicle in the specific area in which you're having issues.

You can either:
    1. Bring the vehicle to other dealers to try and get it looked at and possibly fixed under warranty
    2. Pony up the cash to get it investigated and fixed

A Toyota dealer is likely not required to investigate your issue(s) for free (read: their time/cost covered under warranty) in this case due to your modifications from stock, hence your initial denial. If you adamantly feel it should be covered under warranty and go route 2, then you can file a reimbursement claim with Toyota corporate.

/thread

BillsSR5 and 17trdoffroadbel[OP] like this.
  2. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

17trdoffroadbel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    ^It's not that. I am fully aware that maybe it's the wheels, even though I don't believe it is. What is going on is that they are REFUSING to diagnose period, even with my paying, until I put OEM wheels & tires on.

Like I said, if the alignment doesn't solve it, I'm taking it to another dealer and ripping this one a new one on dealer rater.

Like I said before, my posting here is to ask if they are bullshitting me when they say they aren't allowed to diagnose the vehicle PERIOD until it's returned to bone stock condition.

3. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    Wesintex

Wesintex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Tacoma TRD OR
    255/85R16 Toyo Open Country MT, Customish bed rack, CB radio
    The dealership you are going to is strange. The one I worked at, and all the ones I have had associations with (whether, commercially or privately), would have loved the chance to stick you with a diagnostic fee. Especially if they thought it was the modification. If its not warranty work, they could be up for a pretty penny paid for by you (OP), if it is warranty work, Toyota pays for it and it costs them relatively nothing (Toyota will reimburse them, albeit warranty rates suck for the tech usually). Unless all their techs have said, "if I get another warranty job chasing a sound or vibration, ill quit," they should be willing to pursue this for you. That said, I think some of the people reading your thread are missing your point.

4. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill
    On one hand, I understand the difficulty of diagnosing the issue at higher speed from a practical perspective and from a safety perspective. Back to that in a bit....

The best scenario would of course be if you still had the original or even the acceptable TRD wheels that they could use to replicate the issue.

The most reasonable solution is that the dealer work with you on getting to the point where they can attempt to replicate the circumstances and issue and find the root cause.

Now let's look at the other more extreme issue.

The vibration you describe is not normal, acceptable, but is it unsafe?

If it is unsafe then the situation must be remedied by you and the tire dealer, or by Toyota with the dealership being the contractor.

That is what I would emphasize to Toyota corporate.

"Look, I don't want to get injured or killed because the dealership you appoint to diagnose the situation can't figure out a way to compensate the tech.".

"I believet root cause lay with a vehicle component that is not performing to specification, and has never even received an entry level inspection."

"I believe the dealership is not acting in good faith and has failed to perform a reasonable diagnosis of the problem and has not provided me with an acceptable compromise for how we can make sure the vehicle is operating safely".

Now, I would consider opening a case with the NTSB. I would then write a factual post with the case number, on Yelp, Google Reviews, and DealerRater.com dealership reviews. Mention that the post will come down when the issue is resolved a reasonable effort is made / due diligence is applied.

5. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    It’s the dealer. My dealer where I’m at and my mechanic wouldnt hesitate to look at especially if I was willing to pay for it. For whatever reason the dealer has chosen to not work on it.

17trdoffroadbel[OP] likes this.
  6. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    The_devil,

yeah, I'm going to escalate with the service manager but I think I won't get anywhere. Because of my doc request and the subsequent subpoena, I think this behavior is a subtle "we're done with you" message. Just wanted to confirm that with the guys on here before I went somewhere else to deal with this issue.

Wesintex and gotoman1969 like this.
  7. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    nubbins

nubbins Member

Member:
    I got out of an '18 F-150 and this was almost exactly one of the reasons.

I had a set of 17" and 265/70 stockers that shook at highway speeds. A RFB later and one tire replacement later, the vibration toned down somewhat but was quite obviously still there. Since at that point I was getting nowhere with the dealer, I thought to swap out for Wildpeaks and fix it on my own money.

Big mistake. The Wildpeaks almost shook the truck apart, being heavier. I'm talking Ram and Ford solid front axle death wobble levels of "vibration". 2 RFBs later, nothing changed. I was told the tires were green on every machine the tire shop had, and the dealer rebalanced it once too.

The tire shop did me a solid and replaced them with new G015s at just the price difference. The vibration reduced, but again, was plain to see.

The dealer at one point gave a set of 18" takeoffs and they rode just fine, seemingly without vibration, though it was just for the weekend. The problem here is that although they can use the justification "you changed things on the truck", the 18"s weren't the same as my 17" wheels, and the 18" LT-C Adventures weren't the same tires as my 17" P Fortitudes. So it doesn't help me if one of my 17" rims is slightly bent, for example. Which they couldn't find either, typical.

SM gave me attitude after Ford was involved for the multitude of other issues, and told me to either buy the takeoffs off him or pound sand. I reminded him that in case he forgot, I had made 3 visits on the stock wheels and tires for this exact same vibration and the only thing that had changed was the tires, never wheels; he shrugged and went on his way.

Stock suspension. Stock wheels. Word of advice, feel free to change out your wheels and tires like every other Tom, Dick and Harry who loves to mod their truck. Just remember to keep your stock rims on stock tires sitting around, or you're setting yourself up for failure if anything isn't right with the truck.

In the end, I leaned towards suspecting front suspension or driveline. One of the very reputable driveline shops wouldn't look at it because it was still under warranty so I should bug Ford instead. Couldn't find anything wrong with alignment.

8. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    Cementoffroad

Cementoffroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR
    I bought my truck there. All of my visits have been terrible. (Wind noise coming through door seal blamed on wheels and tires) Head over to Michael's in Bellevue. They are somewhat mod friendly at least too.

9. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    Wesintex

Wesintex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Blazing Blue Tacoma TRD OR
    255/85R16 Toyo Open Country MT, Customish bed rack, CB radio
    Still strange, we had a small handful of very specific issues that were leading to lemon law/other court actions and as long as the customer wasn't irate we went out of our way to keep them happy. A happy person is probably more willing to settle or keep the problem quiet. Sorry about your experience. Best of luck to you.

10. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Yep. When you served them with a subpoena, they have no obligation to work with you directly anymore because now lawyers are involved. Maybe there acting on advice from there lawyer. Worst part it’s probably a simple fix if the time was just put into the diagnosis. Good luck.

11. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    oconnor

oconnor Where am I?

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport 4x4 AC 6MT/ '04 TJ Rubicon
    OP - what rims are on the truck?

12. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    Of course, they got the subpoena because they refused to willingly hand over the docs in the first place. I had no beef with them, this was all about Toyota Corporate.

13. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:17 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    They are MB racing in the stock 16" size. The wheels are perfectly fine, I am sure of it.

14. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    The_Devil

The_Devil Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    DIY Tonneau, Toolbox, Lift, TRD Wheels, TRD Grill
    The fact is that Toyota documentation going back to the 1990s claims you can get the vehicle service at ANY dealership within the region.

Now you can show up cussing and throwing poop and get your self banned, but the truck cannot be denied service.

I had a mouthy GM at a BMW dealership ban me for writing a negative review, but his dealership still had to service the car under warranty and the corporate satisfaction survey still came to me.....I would always write "the tech, the service advisor and the service manager made no effort to speak to me or explain any of the work done.

Also, since BMW guys look out for each other, there were plenty of people who had bad experiences who chose to leave a review daring them to ban them.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  15. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    No, but I suppose they can deny service on a very flimsy pretext like the one they are using. They know most people will just give up and go to another dealer.

16. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:26 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent
    Done in one. I agree.

You said that the dealer was involved in a subpoena with your name on it. People remember that kind of stuff, and it's a burned bridge if you make them respond to legal.

Ive been in the dealers shoes before. Whenever some asshat client thinks they are getting their way by playing the legal/document-everything game, then I have no choice but to respond by playing by the book. They get exactly what the book says and not an inch more. If they are dying of thirst, my job is to provide directions to the nearest soda shop. Now I could give them a sip from my canteen, but I won't, because it isn't explicitly outlined as part of my job, and deviating from my job will put me at legal risk. Here's your map, sir, best of luck to you.

Sounds like you burned your bridge with them, and now they are going by the book and only by the book.

You'd have better luck if you find another dealer.

17. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    17trdoffroadbel

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
    Yeah that's pretty much the consensus. Again, like I said, I asked for that stuff voluntarily before they decided not to respond at all. So I was pretty much forced to do it because the truck had so much of its service history there. I had no personal beef with that dealer, I just wanted the docs I was legally entitled to.

Rock Lobster likes this.
  18. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    I wanna move there...

19. Jul 2, 2019 at 7:30 AM
    The_Devil