1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership runaround

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 363110, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Dec 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM

363110 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norfolk VA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 v6 Manual Towing
    A few weeks ago I put my name and $500 on a 2016 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 V6 Towing, Manual transmission in Blue. He told he me had a truck on the way so I asked for a print out with the Options, Vin, etc. I made it clear to him I do not want a truck with a whole bunch of options I don't care about. IE, Hood graphics, tonneau cover, etc (I'm trying to keep the price down by not getting/paying for options I don't want). What I wanted was the above with V6 Towing and if possible the Technology package.
    After asking for this print out twice via e-mail (he claimed he e-mailed it. But I never got it) I went in on Black friday to talk to him. He was busy with a customer but his manager (his dad. I think) gave me a print out of 'A' Tacoma but he said that's not the EXACT one coming. They'll get me the actual VIN once they have it.
    Two days ago I got an e-mail from the guy with a link to my 'brochure'. I clicked the link (it went to https://wd.eleadcrm.com/evo2/[snipped]) and it showed a 2016 with the right specs. It did have a Tonneau cover but that's not a deal breaker.
    He e-mailed me today asking if I saw the link so I clicked on it again. NOW it's showing a 2016 with the same specs but now it has the following post production options:
    Glass Breakage Sensor (PPO)
    Hood Graphic
    V.I.P. RS3200 Plus Security System

This is NOT what I want. Did they just swap trucks on me?

I'm just about to just go get my $500 back and tell them good day. I currently have a 2013 TRD Sport 4x4 V6 Towing Auto which is a great truck. Barely any miles on it. I'm not dieing to get in a 2016 but it would be nice.

Is this a NORMAL experience? When I bought my 2013 it was a 1 day done deal. None of this back and forth. What do you guys think?

2. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    SamChieftan

SamChieftan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AUTO 4x4 Super White
    Interior LEDs, Truck Mat, Door sills
    Well just a note ... a few years ago that WAS exactly how I was treated with some DALLAS TOYOTA dealerships ... enough that I vowed to NEVER own a Toyota. Fast forward a few years and a friend trades in a Lexus for an Avalon at a new dealership. He is the hardest customer to have, and they treat him right and the impossible happens and he is happy. I rethink my strategy and the rest is History and I have a 2016 Tacoma Dealership and employees are awesome at this place from the Top down.

Don't settle for the run around .... find someone you like. I had to drive 30 miles out of the way to this dealership. A little bit extra for gas goes a long way.

WyoRoam likes this.
  3. Dec 1, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
  4. Dec 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM
    TroutCommanderX

TroutCommanderX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR DCSB 4x4
    30 miles out of the way is nothing. When it comes to a good deal I'm willing to travel out of state. You obviously have to weigh the cost of the trip compared to the money you'll be saving on the new vehicle but you shouldn't be afraid to travel great distances if the deal justifies it. I traveled out of state for my last vehicle (2015 2 dr Jeep Wrangler Rubicon) and was able to save thousands over my lowest local offer. In some cases it isn't worth the trouble. I negotiated a great deal in Texas on a new Tacoma but after travel expenses it would of only saved me about $500 so I bought locally. Some people don't have a schedule that allows them to travel great distances for a good deal and that's fine. You can put a value on time as well and some would gladly spend an extra $500 or more to not have to haggle for days or in my case not have to drive to Texas. Any deal local or not should be negotiated entirely over the phone or email. Once you've reached a deal get a copy of everything emailed to you prior to going to the dealership to sign paperwork. That should save you some time and any potential "runaround"

5. Dec 1, 2015 at 1:30 PM
    Daytona Coupe

Daytona Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Visalia CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport DCSB
    The bottom line is, you're the one with the money and they need to earn it. If they won't give you what you want, then find someone who will. I went around in circles with a local dealer and they eventually got me what I wanted - the hardest part was finding a truck in that spec with such short supply. They kept trying to sell me what they could get - not what I wanted. Sounds like you need to make it clear what you want, and if they still jerk you around, find another dealer.

6. Dec 1, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    Kentuckytaco2006

Kentuckytaco2006 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red Prerunner Doublecab
    Or u could just tell them IF they can't find what u want...ur willing to take what they have IF they throw in the extra's for FREE! That usually gets them motivated to find what u WANT!

7. Dec 3, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    Yes, that is what is happening with me right now. My dealer is telling me the only sports he can get have the black oval tube steps, I say I do not want those. I tell him either take them off, or give them to me at no charge, or the dealer in the bordering town can get it for me. He is now locating the truck that I want, funny how that works.

8. Dec 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    they are going to try to sell you what they have coming in

you may need to wait 4 months if you -want a specific truck-

it is not a scam but sales goons must make monthly sales numbers that is how
    it is all tracked....they try to move vehicles that come in off the hauler and they don't have a ton of control on that...unless you want to wait a long time for a special order

9. Jan 5, 2016 at 10:02 PM

363110 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norfolk VA
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 v6 Manual Towing
    Bump / necroing this thread. I'm getting a new truck today! I test drove it yesterday and they put my name on it. I'm going in after work today to finish the paperwork.
    http://imgur.com/DZ7u2Fw&8ROKDoF

Robb_D likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top