1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DECKED Storage System

Discussion in 'DECKED' started by DECKEDUSA, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Dec 16, 2018 at 6:47 PM
    DECKEDUSA

DECKEDUSA [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    OVERLAND_DSC_9342.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    DECKED1.jpg
    DECKED2.jpg

KEY FEATURES:

• 3-Year Warranty
    • Built from 100% recycled HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) co-molded to a galvanized recycled steel subframe
    • System payload rating: 2000 lbs evenly distributed on the deck
    • Drawer payload rating: 200 lbs per drawer
    • Two full bed-length drawers. Note: Drawers do not fully extend. See the TECHNICAL SPECS tab for details.
    • Drawers are weatherproof. System itself is impervious to moisture, extreme UV light exposure and severe temperatures
    • Oversized cast aluminum handles for ease of operation with gloves
    • Will work with a spray-in bed liner, but not a drop-in plastic bed liner
    • Will work with a BedRug mat, but not with a BedRug full liner. LEARN MORE
    • The midsize system features one full-size drawer and one narrow drawer. The full-size drawer fits regular dividers, the D-Box and the Crossbox. The Narrow drawer fits narrow dividers and the Crossbox. The midsize system is also compatible with locks, drain plugs and CoreTrax.
    • PLEASE NOTE: Some Tacoma/Tundra's come with aftermarket bed lighting kits. Light modification of your system may be required if you have this option. A small sliver of the deck may need to be cut away or shaved down (using a keyhole saw or surform) to create space for your lights.

Click the links below to get DECKED for your Tacoma!

DECKED | Toyota Tacoma 5’1” Bed | 2005-Current - $1149.99

DECKED | Toyota Tacoma 6’2” Bed | 2005-Current - $1249.99

Check out this full line of accessories if you want to increase your level of awesome :cool:

DECKED | Accessories

Uncle Chair and mcharfauros like this.
  2. Dec 18, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
  3. Dec 27, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
    What are YOU using your DECKED system for?

TACOMA_KXP_6355.jpg

Uncle Chair likes this.
  4. Jan 2, 2019 at 9:28 PM
    Rob Daman

Rob Daman The Taco Formerly Known as Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    17 OR 6MT
    a lot
    When my wife likes to overprepare I put stuff on and inside Decked.

This is what I put:

2 Costco size bins
    2 Plano boxes stacked
    1 suitcase
    1 clear bin
    2 big sleeping bags
    misc other bags
    1 box of chips
    1 case of water

And still have some room.

Also when I want to keep my gear dry and safe when offroading, it's gotta be Decked!

decked.jpg

Califor2A, Willbeck and Landpirate like this.
  5. Jan 4, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    JWongy

JWongy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Definitely interested in something like this - I can't watch the YouTube video since I'm on my work computer which blocks the site, but how easy is it to remove in case I need access to the full depth of the bed? Can just one side/drawer be removed if need be, or does it all have to come out in one piece? Thanks!

6. Jan 5, 2019 at 6:31 AM
    Landpirate

Landpirate Strong like horse, smart like tractor

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma BBP SR5 4x4 DCSB
    OME HD leafs, 5100s, CaliRaised skids, UpTop Overland Bravo, KB Voodoo rack, Overlander RTT/awning, DECKED
    I like that inverter relocate. I've got an SR5 so I don't have the option, but it is one thing I actually wish my truck had that it doesn't.
    Should be getting my parts in next week for my Decked system. Looking forward to getting it installed and have a few mods I'm looking at.

Rob Daman[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    GC4x4

GC4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB Limited 4x4
    Suspension: Front: King Coilovers SPC UCAs Rear: Deaver U402 Stage I King RR 2.5 Shocks Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Other: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit Diff Drop Kit Wheels: OEM SEMA 4Runner TRD Pro Wheels 285/70r17 Falken Wildpeaks Other: TRD Pro Grille Chrome Delete (mirrors, handles, badges, fogs) Bike Storage: Dakine DXL Tailgate Pad and RockyMounts
    How much does this system weigh for the tacomas?

8. Jan 8, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    White Elephant

White Elephant New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 White DCLB Offroad
    Well it is heavy.... I just installed mine this week (DCLB). If I remember the shipping weight was about 250 lbs.... yikes! Time will tell whether the convenience out weighs the weight issue and lost storage capacity. But its cool as anything!

9. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
    Great question!
    205lbs for the short bed and 229lbs for the long bed

10. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:34 AM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
    It's assembled in multiple pieces and can be removed fairly easily. Once DECKED is installed in the vehicle, removal or re-installation only requires about 15-20 minutes using basic hand tools. DECKED comes apart into four major pieces and can be stacked neatly until it’s time to reinstall.

DECKED
    www.decked.com

Ryan188 likes this.
  11. Jan 9, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
    I know you don't have the inverter but I'd like to post a few more details on the relocation for others to see. You could relocate like Rob has done or do something like the following:

CAN I ACCESS THE STORAGE COMPARTMENT AND/OR OUTLET IN A TACOMA?
    Access to the outlet and both storage compartments will be compromised.

You may remove the storage compartment doors for limited access. Use will be compromised, but hey, life ain't always fair, right?! NOTE: you must do this before you install the DECKED system into your Tacoma.

The power outlet can still be used if you insert a flat head pigtail extension cord BEFORE you install the decks. Make sure to have the outlet capped to keep water out. A low profile pigtail such as one like this will work. See images below. One can install a weather proof cover over female end of the pigtail when not in use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  12. Jan 9, 2019 at 11:08 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    @DECKEDUSA I really like your product and know a few friends that are very impressed! Only thing from stopping me from getting one is I would lose the ability to keep a mountain bike over the tailgate for solo trips. Being based in Ketchum / Sun Valley, I'm sure you can sympathize.

If you guys were looking for a growth opportunity, you could make a secondary / factory optional OEM left-half top plate that was canoed out and replaced with a sliding bike tray, I would shell out the $$$ in a heartbeat. I know the molds and tooling wouldn't be cheap (I also work in injection molding), but I feel like the market is there. I've heard my same sorrowful comment come from quite a few people at the SLC and Park City trailheads when they see one.

exploded_LX_8706_1000x.jpg
    [​IMG]

Height limited = no Decked for me :(

20170826_092957.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Tacomags and mcrhode like this.
  13. Jan 9, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    GC4x4

GC4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB Limited 4x4
    Suspension: Front: King Coilovers SPC UCAs Rear: Deaver U402 Stage I King RR 2.5 Shocks Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Other: OME Carrier Bearing Drop Kit Diff Drop Kit Wheels: OEM SEMA 4Runner TRD Pro Wheels 285/70r17 Falken Wildpeaks Other: TRD Pro Grille Chrome Delete (mirrors, handles, badges, fogs) Bike Storage: Dakine DXL Tailgate Pad and RockyMounts
    Can you install decked on one half of the bed, leaving some depth in the other half? Doubt it, but worth asking, especially for bikes, etc

WRDD Taco and Gunshot-6A like this.
  14. Jan 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
    The system wouldn't have the same load rating and wouldn't be weatherproof. It's recommended to keep the entire system in use and remove when necessary.

15. Jan 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    DECKEDUSA

Member:
    Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate the input as well as the idea. Could you possibly re-post the photos? They aren't showing up

DECKED
    www.decked.com

Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 10, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    I went back and fixed them. Not sure why they broke. Always glad to give feedback to rad USA companies!

17. Jan 10, 2019 at 9:19 PM
    Landpirate

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME HD leafs, 5100s, CaliRaised skids, UpTop Overland Bravo, KB Voodoo rack, Overlander RTT/awning, DECKED
    The shipping box was too long to shut the tailgate, so I took everything out of the box and put it in the bed and back seat. Left work early and then started putting it together when I got home. Just got done with the MT5, lock set, and D Box. Too dark for pics, but I'll have them up soon.
    It would have gotten done faster but my helper is a hungry teen male that has difficulty putting a phone down.

Greenbean and Willbeck like this.
  18. Jan 11, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Landpirate

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    This is a pretty solid mod. I still have some things left to do (Core Trax, dividers, maybe some other stuff) but I've already freed up my interior stowage from the cab, and put in some tools that I didn't have room for. It's very securely attached and I'm not disappointed in the equipment at all.

Found the perfect space filler. This keeps my traction mats secure, and also prevents anybody from being able to mess with the drawers. I have the lock kits installed, but there isn't any room to reach down in the bed with the mats carried in this position. I plan on running a security cable along the rear tie-downs that I can secure the mats with just for complete security, but with the tailgate closed they are in there rather tightly.

Here is a view of how the mats fit into that dead space between the tailgate and the rear of the deck.

With the mats oriented this way, the teeth on the traction surface basically interlock with the rear of the drawer overhang. They are in there tight, and with the cable I don't think they will be very easy to rip out.

When I have more time I'll put up some more pics and my thoughts on everything.

Highly impressed with the quality of manufacturing, clarity of printed instructions, and the components. Having a list of the tools needed is something that isn't always included, but it makes prep go much easier. The modularity of the system is genius, and I really appreciate being able to buy only what I want, and potentially extras of things that I need (boxes, cargo locks).

I will say that installing the lock set is not fun, and if you have somebody with tiny little fingers they would be of much benefit. Also, chase the threads on the lock cylinder body with the lock nut a few times before you actually install the parts. It makes that step go much easier, and it is still meticulous and challenging with big pasty Mick fingers.

19. Jan 12, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    Landpirate

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Installed Core Trax. @DECKEDUSA, does the load on the Load Locks have to be perpendicular to the Core Trax? It seems that if there is a slight angle to the pull the Load Locks slide.

Install was easy. I used some Gorilla tape to hold the Trax down on each end as I started the pilot holes on the ends of each. Had no problems until the very last hole. The drill bit broke off when I was drilling the pilot hole. With a bit that small I was concerned about that happening, so I was glad I made it to the very last hole to do that. Getting the shard out was not a lot of fun, but I was able to get it out. And like the instructions state, make sure you use a #3. Even with that you might need to watch how you run the screws in to keep from stripping the head.

Really like the Decked system.

Today I went back and used a small flat screwdriver and hammer to rotate the locking ring onto the lock cylinder body.

Thoughts on install:
    When you unload the parts, it is a little daunting as there are a ton of parts/hardware. The instruction manual is very clear, and very-well illustrated. Probably one of the best install guides I've ever used.
    The short bed version is slightly different than the Youtube install video. There are two brackets that bolt together between the studs and the wheel well. Got a little nervous that the assembly would shift while we were putting it in and drilling the holes for the brackets in the wheel well. I departed slightly from the install guide and went ahead and loosely attached the bracket and assembly on the driver side and then did the same on the passenger side, made sure the index line was still on the notch, and then tightened everything down. After that was done, assembly really picked up.
    Make sure that you put the black rubber washers in the deck screws where indicated in the O ring bag, the install guide does not have that part (the install video does) and there is a small card in the O ring bag with the instructions.
    The brace in the drawers was fairly easy on the wide drawer, but more difficult on the narrow drawer. It seemed like one of the nuts welded to the end of the brace was just slightly off. It finally went together, but I had to leave one end unseated while I screwed the first end to the side of the drawer and then jimmy the other end into place.
    I found the ammo can lid helpful in installing the wheels on the underside of the drawers, however I did it differently than what was shown in the video. I found it easier to have the lid under the drawer, with my son lifting up on the lid to lever the drawer up. Getting the axle screwed in was a little awkward due to angles affecting clearance for the hex wrench; it was tedious, but not really difficult.

I'm planning on adding a small switched power outlet to one of the ammo boxes, and I'll probably add the Cali Raised bed brackets. Still working on adding a power inverter, so that may go inside one of the ammo boxes.

Very happy with the product. I'm picking up my dividers and Cross Box on Monday.

ricardohollman likes this.
  20. Jan 14, 2019 at 9:17 AM
    Landpirate

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    I thought there had to be something I was missing and that when I found out what it was it would be fairly obvious. Thanks for the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top