1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decked Storage System

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SEAMONSTER401, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Aug 11, 2022 at 5:58 AM
    SEAMONSTER401

SEAMONSTER401 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mocksville, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab
    I’ve done a little research but can’t seem to come up with much. Was wondering if anyone has any information on whether a second gen decked system can be made to work in our first gen trucks. If one of you second gen guys has a decked system for a 6’ bed and wouldn’t mind getting some measurements of it to compare that might be helpful. Just looking for a solid storage solution for camping/fishing gear for trips to OBX.

2. Aug 11, 2022 at 9:52 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    I looked into this but just didn't want to dump the money on something that isn't designed to fit. If I could find a used one for cheap then maybe.

The 1st gen beds have a larger interior space than the 2nd gens, so you would most likely have gaps on the sides.

3. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:10 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    In theory the center drawer section should fit both width wise and length wise but you would have to come up with your own anchoring system and side fill plates.

The 1st gen bed also isn't as deep as the 2nd gens so you'd only have like 6" of 'bed' left on top.

Might be more prudent to follow one or two of the home built drawer platform threads on here and make your own that's purpose made.

SEAMONSTER401[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    SEAMONSTER401

SEAMONSTER401 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mocksville, NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab
    Thanks for the input. I’ve also explored building my own, but I’m not sure how successful I could be at getting the system water tight and sturdy enough to hold a load on top. Just curious as to how much gap you would have to deal with to make it fit.

5. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    codyjphoto

codyjphoto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    2015 gx460
    A bunch of junk
    Plus they weight like 205lbs

Key-Rei likes this.
  6. Aug 11, 2022 at 8:25 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Look at WeatherGuard Pack Rat units. They’re very similar and you can make your own fill plates for the side. I see them on Craigslist and Facebook for sale.

opteron likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top