1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

deckplate mod question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by HerNameIsLucy, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Aug 8, 2008 at 9:59 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy [OP] I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    I'm fixing to do the deckplate mod tomorrow, and I want to tape off the silencers too.

There is a hose that hooks to the big honkin silencer that's on the front of the intake hose. It starts off rubber, turns to metal, goes under the intake manifold, then turns to rubber again and hooks to the top of what I believe is the EGR valve at the back of the engine.

Far as I can tell all it does is supply fresh filtered air to the EGR valve. If I block that silencer off I'll cut off that air supply.

This is on an 02 with the 3.4

Anybody else have that hose, that has done the silencer tape-off, and figured where that hose can be diverted to?

If I can't figure it out I'll go to the fish tank store and get a little in-line foam filter, plug it into that and tie-wrap it to something that looks nice.

2. Aug 8, 2008 at 12:03 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What's the purpose of sealing off the silencer hose?

I did the deckplate mod on my 3.4L (96) and I didn't do anything but cut the airbox and install the deckplate.

3. Aug 8, 2008 at 12:19 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy [OP] I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Silencer boxes get sealed off....it's the hose that is hooked to one of them that concerns me.

Supposed to give the intake a more pronounced rumble. No perf gain from what I read though. Look through this http://www.trdoffroad.com/articles/deckplate/index.php article. In the 8th picture down you can see the hose hooked to the silencer box.

Think I figured out how to solve it though, I'll hit autozone and get a fuel filter that fits the hose, tie wrap it under something so it's not obvious.

4. Sep 8, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    Silverbritches

Silverbritches Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PK
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner DC SR5 TRD
    K&N, Deck plate mod,alarm mod,power outlet mod, vent shades,bug guard, 6k slim bi xenon HID kit and Bedrug also the cold 12 pack mod with a few good friends on the tailgate on college game day.
    That write up on trdoffroad has the best instructions I have seen yet.
    I have been looking to do this mod but I have not found a clear install prossess that shows the plate and the silencers for the 3.4 Nice!

5. Sep 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    hey guys i did the deck plate mod awhile back, but i sealed it a bit different. im a plumber so i had some plumbers putty at the house and used it for the seal, instead of sensor safe silicone, between the deck plate and the air box. first i worked the putty in my hand until the putty got warm so it would work easier, then i just rolled a thin "snake" out of the putty, then smashed it kinda thin on the back side of the deck plate. then when you screw it down some will squish out around the edges, so i just took my knife and trimmed it up. and you've got a nice water tight seal!

Edit: I also just left the putty that squished inside the air box alone so i didnt mess up the seal it made.

IMG_0842.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top