1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deep Differences between 1st & 2nd Gen

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RiverRatMatt, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    RiverRatMatt

RiverRatMatt [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 Manual Transmision
    1986 Front Tow Hook Yellow Wire Mod Fan squeak fix
    Howdy, my first Toyota was a 1986 4x4 Pickup with a 22R. It lasted 300k miles (I got it toward the end), but I did a lot of work and modification to the truck. I know the ins and outs of the second gen pickup like the back of my hand.

I knew the thrid gen pickup is a copy of the 2nd gen, just with different body panels. From there, the 1st Gen Tacomas, along with the new engines, the intake/exhaust sides got switched from exhaust on the driver's side to exhaust on the passenger side in the Tacoma (1st & 2nd), and a front suspension upgrade (if you like modifying it). Aside from that, I can't tell too many differences between the 1st Gen Tacomas and the original trucks. My girl has a 2003 Tacoma (4x4, 3.4L V6, manual tranny), and that's where my observations are coming from.

Now my 2nd Gen Tacoma (4x4, 2.7L I4, manual tranny) seems a little different, at least on the outside. It is significantly bigger than the 1st Gen, with maybe a few other minor differences. One thing that really surprised me though is my front tow hook off my 1986 has the same bolt pattern as the bolted on front loop (passenger side), and after cutting the little back hook off, it fit perfectly with longer bolts. [side note, why the hell did they only put loops on the front and rear of the 2nd Gens??]

Are there any major mechanical differences between the 1st and 2nd Gen Tacomas? I'm old fashioned.. I think stock is best (or close to) and that one should stick with what works - the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen pickups were awesome, and I'm wondering if they kept the base of the truck the same.

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    you didn't have any 22r in your 1986, did you? They sold 22rs in the united states in 86?
    I thought they had all gone RE in 84... 83?

THey are nothing alike other than they are both made by toyota america for the american market and NOT made by toyota for discerning customers.

They are as alike as any pickup is like another.
    Prolly seems a lot closer with the 2.7 against the 22r than it does with the 2rz vs the 1gr

Products Discussed in

To Top