1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deep water issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mgrande, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    no warranty or ins company will pay for any off-road damage...unless you specifically have off road ins.

2. Oct 23, 2009 at 3:09 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    Funny. I have an insurance claim that begs to differ. Granted I think it went on the record as an "unimproved road with damage from military vehicles" but originally the claim stated offroad. I definitely don't have offroad insurance. This is the same insurance company that tried to reimburse me $300 for Icon c/os, TC UCAs, Dakar rear springs, and OME shocks.

Yup. In my situation it all happened pretty quick, I thought I cut the engine before it sucked any water, winched myself out, got towed to a parking lot and didn't crank it until I had the plugs out but the damage was already done. Water in the cylinders, water in the oil pan, that thing hydrolocked good.

3. Oct 23, 2009 at 3:51 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Isn't anybody gonna tell him about extending the vent lines on the axles after changing the watered down gear oil after going thru that much water?

4. Oct 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    That's up there with doubling the o-rings on dipsticks, coating electrical connections, and strapping a tarp over the hood. We're still stuck on hydrolocking ;)

5. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:12 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Consider yourself DAMN LUCKY that they covered it.
    I also know a guy who totalled his truck from hydrolocking the engine while he went into a deep mud hole.

I don't know what he told them, but they covered it and he's awefully lucky they did. I hope he told them the truth, because fraud can and will bite you in the ass later on.

6. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:14 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Amoung other things....

The only way to totally protect a vehicle is to design it properly in the first place. Get an H1

7. Oct 23, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    My truck should have been totalled. Had they found the fried ECU and stuck throttle body in the initial appraisal it would have been. ih8mud.

8. Oct 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Whoa, this thing got alot of attention! I took it in at 8 this morning and by 930 the dealer had a new idler pulley installed and as good as new:D Thanks for all your input guys. I just grew up with my old man doing this stuff with his trucks and buggie so I figured since my toyota was better than his chevy why not? I got some videos I'll put on here when I get a chance of how to ruin a idler pulley, but for now I have to go to the bar:cheers:

9. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Yeah, I'm waiting until I get out so I can have something to do with my old man. We haven't got to spend much time together the last 5 years, I figure the diff breather mod is a good project for us. I dont have any noise comming from either diff so I don't think I have water in them.

10. Oct 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Alright, so here's some of the water that ruined my idler pulley. It was fun, but I supose I learned my leason.
    http://www.vimeo.com/7243481

But can you really blame me? This is what I grew up doing back home, and this wasn't really much compared to some of the stuff we've been through.
    http://www.vimeo.com/7247294

And as luni mentioned, if my hood scoop was my snorkel, it would have been a funel.
    [​IMG]
    To all the guys that have snorkels, do you have gen1's or gen2's? Because it seems useless to get a snorkel for my truck if I'm going to ruin an idler pulley every time I drive through deep enough water to utilize it.

11. Oct 25, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    luni

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    The safari snorkel part number SS135HF designed for a hilux fits our trucks with a little extra effort. It wont save the idler pulleys but it will save your engine. Idler pulleys are just a poorly designed part. I have a bad pulley on my truck right now. Not in any hurry to fix it. Waiting to move into my new house and I'm closer to the dealership.

If your pulley is getting wet then your fan is getting under water and that has a whole mess of problems. I'm gonna start throwing a tarp over the front/hood when I hit deep water to make a better air pocket. Those aussies are crazy.

But with the amount of damage mud and fine silt do to bearings and seals I'd sooner just avoid the crap all together if I can help it.

12. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    mgrande

mgrande [OP] iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Yeah, when I was trouble shooting with my dad over the phone he said I could have bent my fan up. Turns out that's why he built our buggie with a electric fan and a cut off switch, that way he could just shut it off when the water got deep.

Products Discussed in

To Top