1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Delete

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ace7196, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2018 at 10:24 PM
    PB FAB

PB FAB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR DCSB 4x4 v6
    You will never be able to fully charge a battery off of a 14 gauge wire from the trailer plug. The wire is not large enough to supply enough amps at the proper volts. You would have to run your truck for days to fully recharge a large battery.

Search for handy bob solar, long winded, but lots of good real world info on charging batteries and living off grid daily.

2. Jan 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    Good conversation OP, thanks for your post! It sounds like a great idea to use a harness plug as a temporary power source for charging an auxiliary battery in the bed- but I wanted verification on this- when the ignition is off, all power is cut off at the trailer harness? I was told by a trailer salesman that the truck battery could still be drained if the trailer was connected. Misinformation, or maybe only true for domestic trucks? Anyways, thanks for helping me with my power project![/QUOTE]

I couldn’t find any power back there when I was looking for some always on power.

For my situation I just bought a deep cycle battery and a portable jump pack. But that battery is bed charging off of something is a pretty sweet idea.

3. Jan 11, 2018 at 10:56 PM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    I'm pretty sure it's switched, at least on the '09's. My trailers charge controller would switch over when I switched off the engine.

4. Jan 12, 2018 at 1:37 AM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    It is switched. My interior lights on my enclosed only work when the truck is connected AND running. I have used the trailer plug for charging my spare battery. It isn’t going to charge it very quick but it helps top it off until I show up unload and switch to my solar panels.

5. Jan 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan
  6. Jan 12, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    YamaDirtrider

YamaDirtrider Custom bumpers @FORT-ifyRigs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Elizabeth CO
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB sport postrunner
    What hasn't been modified?
    No. Just no. That wire wound not handle the amount of amps needed. Let alone the voltage drop would never fully charge the battery. For what your wanting to run maybe a 4awg wire would suffice to charge a second battery in the bed but voltage would be to low still.

@DaveInDenver thoughts?

7. Jan 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    Jaque8

Jaque8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR
    I will eventually go dual battery but in the meantime I just keep a fully charged jumper box with me... I've ran my truck battery dead before while camping and I just jumpstart myself with the little jumper.

I work at a car dealership and if you get a good jumper a full charge will last a surprising amount of time. I've jump started about 12-15 cars on a single charge and it was still at 50% (although below 50% you won't be able to start a bigger engine like a V8 or maybe even our V6s)

8. Jan 12, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Yup, with a caveat.

If there's an unlimited amount of current that's allowed to flow then Josh is right on. Voltage drop is current x resistance. You can figure that out, 14 AWG wire has about 2.5 mΩ/foot or about 50 mΩ for a 20 foot run. So if you run a theoretical 20 amps through this you get V = .05 * 20 = 1 V of drop. Which, as Josh mentions, will mean the battery will be undercharging.

Using a 4 AWG is better because it's got about 5 mΩ of resistance for a 20 foot run, so 20 A is one order of magnitude improved or IOW, 0.1 V of drop. This is generally negligible in real life performance. It can also take 100 A safely, although that would get about 0.5V of drop, which is significant.

There's a way around this, which is to run a battery-to-battery or DC-to-DC charger that takes the power you supply and reconstruct it to make a suitable charging supply. It's transferring power, not current alone, so it will compensate for the wiring losses. It's the same principle as a solar controller, which in that case is taking a much higher voltage and making it work.

PB FAB and YamaDirtrider[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Jan 13, 2018 at 10:07 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    I have this 20.1 aH one and love it, great for camping trips, also when travelling with a tablet/laptop and phone. Good for a few day trip. they make a newer model 3 outlet 26.8 aH with 2 micro USB inputs, not sure it's worth the +50% price difference, though. Anker gear has good QC.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-20100mAh-Portable-Charger-PowerCore/dp/B00X5RV14Y

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  10. Jan 13, 2018 at 10:32 PM
    5 Lug Fury

5 Lug Fury Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    V8 5 lug
    Got a lot of stuff lol
    If you go on ebay there is plenty of 4 slot panels that im sure you'll find one that'll meet your needs. Its what I plan on putting in once I go dual bat

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Function...ash=item2f074061db:g:sqYAAOSwkttZZava&vxp=mtr

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Sep 30, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    67siia

67siia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DCLB aka Chupacabra
    Anything new? Having the same dilemma

To Top