1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Delta between TRD Off-road vs TRD Sport?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoKing, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Dec 8, 2006 at 2:56 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Therefore, do whatever turns you on (suits your terrain ;) ) . Its your money. Eat Steak. :hungry:

2. Dec 8, 2006 at 12:03 PM
    rockn06sport

rockn06sport Active Member

Member:
  3. Dec 15, 2006 at 11:28 AM
    natrlyst

natrlyst Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry to piss an one off with that post, it did sound quite offensive after I just read it again, only meant for humour and a little poke, not to ire anyone. So on a serious note, buy what you want, just remember what it is you buy and what you bought it for. If image is what you are attempting to attain with your truck well so be it but there will be people such as myself that think buying a two wheel drive truck and lifting it for image is a waste of time and money. I think it is a little too "poserish". Buying a two wheel drive truck and lowering it, well that I can understand, wouldnt do it myself, but I understand.

There are lots of people (even up here in redneck Alberta) that buy 4wheel drive trucks and raise them 8 inches and only drive them on the highway or even purchase two wheel drive trucks and raise them for image, it does not only happen in the OC. I just don't understand it personally. He asked if he should raise his truck, I say no, unless you want to blow your cash on something.

But what do I know, I bought a brand new truck 07 taco trd or ($42K CA), put a slight raise in it (3"), some bigger tires and I beat the shit out of it pretty much everyday for work and then on weekends take it out for fun. That is what I think trucks are made for. So I do aplogise for offending anyone and again "to each their own..."

nat

4. Dec 15, 2006 at 2:28 PM
    rockn06sport

rockn06sport Active Member

Member:
    you didn't offend anybody bud. We all on the same team here. Lifting trucks is a trend right now, just like tattoos. It is at its peak and in the future it will fade away (and probably start back up again). History repeats itself.

5. Dec 16, 2006 at 10:18 PM
    mptaco

mptaco New Member

Member:
    Another significant difference is that you can not get locking rear with a db cab long bed, I know.. I tried. I just purchased a 07 and with everything they offer, but couldn't get the locker. I went ahead an got the truck I felt would satisfy my everyday needs with the long bed, and figured if I ever decided to get serious with off-road (and the LSD didn't work) I would then purchase the after market 4X4 stuff later. Purchasing after market locker, lift, suspension are all possible, getting a long bed add-on isn't.

-D

6. Dec 17, 2006 at 4:00 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    What type of after market 4X4 stuff is available for Taco's out there? Can you provide some links if possible. BTW, welcome to TW.

7. Dec 17, 2006 at 7:37 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    You mean you can't go to a junk yard, or possibly buy a standard/longbed and add it to the chassis of your shortbox Tacoma? I thought chassis length was the same throughout all body styles.....hmm....you learn something new eveyday.:confused:

8. Feb 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    toubad

toubad Bagdad

Member:
    western slope colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD sport
    These postings really helped me. I'm looking for an 05 Taco TRD and wanted an off road, but the perfect one came to my attention, except that it is a SPORT. I wanted to know if it would do for me since I work in the forest, pull a 16' camper trailer and am on dirt much of the time. Since tire size, trim, and rear dif seem to be the main differences I think it will be OK. Anybody have a thought on it.
    And what about the limited slip vs the lock. I really dont understand the pitfalls of one over the other. Any help there?

Touffic

9. Feb 6, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Locker causes the rear wheels to spin at exactly the same time regardless if one is off the ground or not. (Which with any other type of vehicle would cause the lifted wheel to receive all the power and spin uselessly)
    LSD is like a clutch that engages when it senses one wheel spinning. It limits the slipping of the wheel and causes the power to go to the wheel that is not spinning.

Lockers are more for off roading. LSD is more of a drag strip thing (As far as I'm concerned)

Lockers have to be used in 4lo (Unless you mod your truck) while LSD just kicks in automatically. 08's get mechanical LSDs. Sport and OR from 09 have an electronic LSD which is utilized via the vehicles breaks. So the 09 OR will have both a Locker and electronic LSD.

BTW Delta means change not difference.

10. Feb 6, 2009 at 11:06 AM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Nope, I think only the DCSB and access cab use the same chassis. The DCLB is longer than a suburban!

11. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    to each his/her own...

in my opinion they are both great trucks, just depends on what you like...

i would have went either way..

i wanted the locker on the off road, but after getting the sport i love the LSD for everyday driving during inclement weather..

if you get a tacoma you win no matter what!

12. Feb 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    toubad

toubad Bagdad

Member:
    western slope colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD sport
    I'm confused about the auto LSD. The manual shows an auto LSD switch on thelower left dash, between the fog light and power outlet switches. That is just a blank on my 2005 TRD Sport. DOes this mean that I dont have LSD? If it is auto, why the switch?
    Thanks for the response.

13. Feb 25, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You have a LSD on your Sport. It requires no electricity to function. The "LSD" you are referring to on the Offroads is fired electrically. It isn't a LSD but a Locker, and only functions in 4lo. The LSD functions when ever it needs to. It is probably just a misprint in the manual.

14. Feb 25, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    toubad

toubad Bagdad

Member:
    western slope colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD sport
    Yeah! that makes more sense than having to flip a switch on something called "auto". On p. 5 of the 2005 booklet for #2 arrow, says it is- either the rear diff lock switch OR "Auto LSD" switch (their quotes and caps). In my readings I never saw it mentioned as an "option".

15. Feb 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Sorry but I have to add.. Prerunners are not 'poser'ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WdhXlLCFgY

They have their uses, and a diffrent application. To the desert rats, why waste time with 4wd when you can do 80 in the desert. You still need clearence, and a lift is not a waste of time on a pre-runner. That said, only if you use it as such. (yes, I've taken mine out to the desert for some.. albiet slower... runs). Also wears some scratches proud at 13k on the odo.

And yes I know it's a ford... but regardless it's a beautifully built truck.

16. Oct 2, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    mari0

mari0 Member

Member:
    Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 Ranger POS Model :p
    Flowmaster Exhaust, 3inch Body Lift
    I was wondering the same thing what the differences are between Off Road/Sport. I want the sport, and don't really want to off road with the new truck. The furthest I'll probably go "off-road" is on a small trail to get somewhere haha. I really like the way sport looks so I think I'm going to jst get that :) The locker doesn't seem like it would make much a differance much for ex. in snow or something.

17. Oct 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    If you're not going to be doing any serious off roading you'll be fine with the Sport. I was originally looking at the off road but decided I'd likely never need the locker since it's going to see mostly snow and at the most some beach or light trail usage. 4x4 was my main requirement. Plus I preferred the looks of the Sport, primarily because I hate chrome and liked the color matched parts of the Sport.

18. Oct 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    this thread is almost 3 years old... lol

19. Oct 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    haha yes. At least I didn't dig it up. It's always funny when such old threads get dug up on forums. Then again, at least it shows some people actually do search.

20. Oct 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I wanted the TRD Sport for the simple fact of the color matching and hood scoop.. I like the looks of it.. I didnt want a Chrome or Metal-esk bumpers or grill..

Products Discussed in

To Top