1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Delta between TRD Off-road vs TRD Sport?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoKing, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Jan 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    IN EASY TO UNDERSTAND TERMS:

1) 2WD + Rear Locker is twice the traction of 2WD

2) 4WD is twice the traction of 2WD

3) 4WD + Rear Locker is twice the traction of 4WD and no locker

4) 4WD + A-TRAC (or front and rear lockers) is twice the traction of rear locker only 4WD.

Another KEY advantage the Off Road TRD has over the Sport for traction, is the Hydraulic Brake Booster that enhances the traction system over the vacuum brake booster.

Sport is an appearance package.
    Off Road is a function/ ability package.

2. Jan 2, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    David..get of your atrac box again...he's talking about his 07

3. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    What does explaining the levels of traction control (to everyone reading this) have to with what year Tacoma one person has?

He is wondering if a locker alone will do what a 4x4 will do... I think what I posted helps anyone to see the steps up in traction... IF you read closely, I also included front lockers into the list so he CAN have ultimate traction with an '07 and not need an '09+ with A-TRAC.

Okay, no box, just data. Peace!

4. Jan 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    gpend5.7sport

gpend5.7sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport
    too damn many
    when i was looking at new trucks i was dead set on a 08 trd sport dclb tacoma with 4x4 because i didnt know of a all color matched tundra. low and behold they did make a trd sport tundra they just dont make too many of them. when i test drove tacos the sport's ride was muuuuch stiffer than the off road and the same was true for the sport tundra vs. the off road. my only problem with my sport at least is that it is not offered with 4x4 but o well still looks good. i think the scoop on my dads sport taco is a little much id rather of had a flat hood but i really like the color matched parts of em, i cant stand chrome on my vehicles, its gotta match for me to like it.

5. May 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    SMarti018

SMarti018 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Arlington, WA
    Vehicle:
    Gathering info on forum for my first taco
    i really dont mind guys driving with big lifts its there money they can do what they want... I mean hell we could all get by with driving a 100 some HP hybrid vehicle for gas millage but where is the fun in this? i just sold my 400 WHP Subaru STi i spent over 30G's getting it to go as fast as humanly possible. necessary?... absolutely not... but a whole heck of alot of fun :D

6. Jul 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    You make it sound like the sport package isn't capable at all. With 4x4 they are still very capable just not as many great features as the Off road for serious off roading. I have seen som TRT Sport DCLB doing some crazy stuff that other "offroad" vehicles couldn't touch. I know they don't have ATRAC or the locker, But compared to ther competition, they are definatly not just an "appearance package."

Thats my thoughts for what it's worth.

7. Jul 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Hi Travis,

Thanks for your opinion... Let me ask, just what does a Sport 4WD have over an SR5 or a Base 4WD that makes it any different in ability?

Nothing, right?

That is why I said the Sport is an appearance package (things that make the truck look a certain way)... and Off Road is an ability package (things that make it MORE able to drive off pavement than all other 4WD Tacoma models (as delivered from Toyota). Sport owners who want it to be more able sink a lot of $$$ into it for lockers, etc. The Off Road comes ready to take on the toughest of conditions.

Nothing is 'wrong' with a Sport... It has a LOT of fans... Just be aware that the Off Road needs nothing added to go many more places than all other Tacomas.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Christian, please base your comments on facts... okay?

8. Jul 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    David squirts his pants every time he sees a Sport cumming down the road

9. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I don't read that at all in his post. What he says is this: The sport 4x4 and the SR5 4x4 are identical in off road capability. The OR 4x4 has several added features that make it better, more off road capability, than the stock, SR5, or Sport package.

IMO, I would rather turn an OR into a Sport just because it's so much cheaper to buy color matched body parts than lockers, etc. than to try and turn a Sport into an OR.

10. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Many of my friends have Sports... some wish they knew how much more the Off Road can do, so I am helping RAISE the knowledge among all Tacomans if any want a factory ready off road truck... that's all.

Christian, I am trying very hard to only state facts and not bring up the hood scoop issues (I used to comment about)... OK? I know a lot of you young people like the hood scoop look... If it actually did scoop air to increase horse power, then I would call that a functional unit... but it doesn't... it is just for 'looks'.

I hate it that Toyota has anything 'fake' on this great truck, that's all. If you are going to spend money, it seems better to spend it on something that actually works (locker, A-TRAC, hydraulic brake booster)... doesn't it? Yes, that is my opinion... and I am not 'down' on Sport owners... I will help them get unstuck, anytime! Maybe I will need help getting unstuck, someday... I keep trying to find places this truck won't go, no luck yet.

11. Jul 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    The OR edition is hardly a "factory ready offroad truck". That's about as far into this as I'm getting. This shit has been beat to death enough times already.

12. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    all i have to say to david k again......

[​IMG]

13. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    clearly only someone that didnt have ATRAC

14. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i want to install a fully functioning shitter in the back of my truck. i'll get an ATRAC button to use as the flusher.

(side note though, i seriously wanna get one to hook up to my yellow wire mod....lol)

15. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Heh. Naked Gun quote sig.

16. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    I like the idea of hooking it up to the shitter better and calling it G.I.-TRAC

17. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    por que?

18. Jul 26, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

I would argue you are wheeling with the wrong people.

19. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    The Sport has Sport Suspension with Bilstein Shocks, 17" Alloy Wheels with P265/65R17 Tires. Thats not much compared the Off Road that I will remain "aware" of, but you cant get the Off Road with a long bed...and if you had a long bed with those Bilstein Shocks...you might be able to fit that big horse in the back... Dave. But thats just my opinion too.

20. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Coming from a sport owner. I would get the off road ver. in heart beat over the sport.

Products Discussed in

To Top