1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Denso Spark Plug

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by InfamousTonyTaco7714, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:26 PM
    Gixerkiller

Gixerkiller TW...bye Felicia...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Pre Runner DCLB White
    decals, morale patches, headlights, tail lights, toytech lift w 5100s, Falken Wildpeaks.....
    after 20 years of turning wrenches, i have to agree with the no anti seize, instead a bit of axle grease, dielectric grease or Vaseline is preferred. Anti seize does not burn in the combustion chamber so any excess will end up as a sticky residue, as opposed to the greases, once they get hot the excess will liquefy and end up in the oil. not to mention, anti seize does not hold torque numbers well.

it is kind like silicone, cheap way to try and fix something instead of doing it right.

if it is water and rust getting in the holes and sticking the plugs, use dielectric grease on the coils, especially at the sealing gasket. it will help keep the water out and make it easier to remove the coil.

hope this helps

2. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sp
    2.5 inch lift; 5100's front; OME rear; Air Lift; dual batteries; Bestop bed cover; Nfab nerf steps; EBC rotors; Threadwright Claw MT tires; hood scoop LED light install.
    @Gixerkiller
    20 years? You youngster, you. 35+ years wrenching here; have always used anti-seize with none of the problems you mentioned. You're not supposed to put that much anti-seize. If you are gonna use any other lubricant, make sure it is rated for the temperature it is going to face.

Tex-Tac likes this.
  3. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    decals, morale patches, headlights, tail lights, toytech lift w 5100s, Falken Wildpeaks.....
    Maybe a youngster, but, the amount of stuff I have done makes it way more than 20 years, majority of mechanics never work on jets, do R&D for manufacturers, run race teams or things like that.

you are right that only a smidge of anti seize should be used.......how much is that exactly? I have found that it is better to tell people don't do that than to try and explain the intricate dance that we do to keep things running.

I have also found that telling people to follow the manufacturers requirements/recommendations avoids any messy legal crap or blown out arguments.

It just like that stuff Prussian blue for valve seat checks, just slight dab is all you need, I've seen "mechanics" coat the valves in this............

you know, the layman needs to be treated almost like a baby these days. most can't even tell you where the spare tire is.

(try the grease thing, does the same without the silvery residue all over your face,arms,hair,interior....:D)

Like is said in my newbie post....I know everything about fixing stuff, which means I know nothing at all.:thumbsup:

4. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:50 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sp
    2.5 inch lift; 5100's front; OME rear; Air Lift; dual batteries; Bestop bed cover; Nfab nerf steps; EBC rotors; Threadwright Claw MT tires; hood scoop LED light install.
    @Gixerkiller
    Well said. Many DIY'ers should not be working on their cars. Have you seen how many have drained the ATF instead of the motor oil?! Then added 5 fresh quarts of motor oil?! I'm sure they will never make that mistake again, but come on, pay attention to what you are doing.

5. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    Gixerkiller

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Taylor, TX
    Vehicle:
    I had one guy come in with a smoking issue and power loss, it was an Acura Integra, to make a long story short, every time he filled the fuel tank he put in a quart of oil, because someone told him that is what you do.......SO, the car had something like 30 or 40 qts of oil in it, tyres at 80lbs and huge oil leaks.......

a little more prying and the info to put oil in the car and inflate the tyres at every fill up came from his nephew who was in school to become an ASE certified mechanic........

UTI, WYOTECH, MMI, an the like are killing the industry. I actually met a "kid" (he was 23) who wore am "master" certified patch on his arm.

I asked him about it....he said he had been working on cars for 3 years and had just past his master test.......3 years and your a master? of what? reading books? I would love to see this kid in action on a Toyota Supra 1UZ with the stage 3 turbo kits.........kid would probably s**t himself.

20 years and I'm thought of as a "B" level.......

Chuy likes this.
  6. Aug 21, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    I was always using anti seize on my DENSO and NGK plugs, but now im not going to because the manufacturer says not necessary. although I never had any issues using anti seize on my trucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top