1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Devil's Punchbowl and Taylor Pass Colorado

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by DizzyZ, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jul 15, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    DizzyZ

DizzyZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Paragould, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Has anyone done these two trails? I am thinking of doing them in early August if no one says not to...

I have a 2010 double cab TRD Off Road tacoma with a 3" front lift and 1" rear... and Nitto Trail Grappler tires.... Factory skid plate.

I will be taking Taylor Pass from Ashcroft Ghost Town to Italian Creek to Crested Butte.

Then taking Paradise Divide and Devil's Punchbowl (Shofield Pass?) from Crested Butte to Marble...

Anyone think this is a bad idea? Will I be risking too much damage with only factory skids?

thanks.

P.S. Here is my route I plan to take from Canon City to Grand Junction. If anyone is interested in attending all or part of the trail send me a PM. It starts out easy because my father-in-law is going to be following in his Chevy Silverado 4x4...

August 2

Day 1 (easy day to get used to the trail ratings):
    • From Canon City, take Shelf Road to Cripple Creek.
    • Then take Co Rd 1 to Hwy 24 to Hwy 9 to Hwy 285.
    • Mosquito Pass to Leadville.
    • Depending on the trail conditions, and if time permits, we may break off of Mosquito Pass to Birdseye Gulch.
    Either camp near Turquoise Lake in Leadville, or take Hagerman Pass to Basalt and camp there.

Day 2:
    • If we didn't do it on day 1, do Hagerman Pass to Basalt.
    • Hwy 82 to Aspen, then Aspen Mountain, Richmond Hill to Ashcroft Ghost Town (Eat lunch here)
    • Taylor Pass (possible camp @ Dorchester Campground after Taylor Pass if getting late)
    • Italian Creek, Reno Divide (depending on how late it gets, there are 4 possible spots to camp along this route)
    Day 3:
    • From Crested Butte, take Pardise Divide
    • Devil's Punchbowl to Marble (I am a little concerned about this one, We will be going against the recomended direction, If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know!)
    • Easy roads the rest of the way to Grand Junction.
    If anyone is interested in doing these trails with us let me know... You just must be family friendly and be willing to stop to play along the way (we have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old).

2. Jul 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    hkbeliever

hkbeliever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport
    That is a very difficult trail that is underrated in my opinion. Not sure I would go against the grain on that one but check with those who know more. Never taken my tacoma up there but I suggest talking to the Eric Isenhart at the high country 4 wheelers about your route. http://hicountry4wheelers.com/

3. Jul 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    DizzyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Paragould, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Well, I think we will avoid the Devil's Punchbowl, but I think I would still like to try Taylor Pass... Any recomendations on that trail would be helpful...

4. Jul 15, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Schofield is still closed. I haven't been over Taylor yet but your truck should be fine. Wheeling experience is key. That is a lot of trails to run in a few days, especially with a wife and 2 little ones. I like to run a lot like that too but my wife doesn't. If you burn her out she won't want to come back and do it again.
    I'd get to Grand Junction in 2 days then hit Moab for a day. Or at least do Top Of The World.

5. Jul 16, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    DizzyZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Paragould, AR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Day 3 is out... We will make it as far as we can on day 2, then finish the day 2 trails on day 3 morning then head on easy road from Crested Butte to Grand Junction. My wife is really excited about the Taylor Pass trail, so we pretty much have to do them all to do that one. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top