1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback .380

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by FLtaco, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    FLtaco

FLtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    Haha
    Magazine that's better

2. Dec 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab TRD OR
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    How'de he know I was talking about paper clips jamming my .380? LOL

3. Dec 30, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    pyroskier

pyroskier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    x fucking 2. Most annoying thing ever....

4. Dec 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    Haha that got me laughing

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Update gentleman. Put 94 rounds of Winchester white box target rounds through it. First mag first round failed to feed but the other 5 went great. The next couple mags had FTF occasionally untill I realized I was releasing magazine with thumb accidentally. After correcting that ran a couple more mags through with only the first round I chamber failing to feed. So after adjusting my method of pulling slide with a quicker release it was almost flawless the last mags. Only one stovepipe.

6. Jan 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Another update. I've decided after reading many stories online about people experiencing same issue then sending it back for warranty work and issues persisting after that I can't trust my wifes,5 month old son or my own life on a gun that could fail me in a worse case scenario. So I'm selling gun and purchasing a SIG P238.

Other than the issues though gun felt great, was accurate and I loved the look of it. But looks and feel alone won't kill a intruder in my house. But don't let this thread deter anyone who wants a real expensive paper weight or a fidgety range gun lol

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    My dad has one and so does one of my buddies. Both run great after a little"fluff and buff". I polished the ramps on both till they were slicker then snot. Both guns went through a 300 round break in period. Now they run fine.

How are you holding the gun? If your getting stove pipes it sounds like your grip isn't firm enough on the gun.

My advise is send the gun back and have the factory look at it. Then try to shoot it again and bring a shooting buddy who knows what he is doing with you. Both of you shoot the gun and see how it runs.

Good luck.

8. Jan 7, 2012 at 3:23 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    I would not carry a firearm I had "lost" confidence in. Situations can be stressful enough without the predictability of your weapon adding to it. Don't be disheartened. The Sig P238 sounds great. If you still have the occassional FTF practice until you are comfortable enough with the weapon to work the slide "recycle" and go again. Your confidence in your abilities and the firearm will prepare you for the "what ifs".

9. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    I've got close to two hundred rounds thought it now.and I've only encountered a couple stove pipes so I don't think it's my grip but I could be wrong. What did you use to polish the slides?

10. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    That's how I feel man. I just want a gun I know will work every time. Maybe polishing slide will improve that first round fed in. Or maybe it's how I'm doing it. Going to try and put another hundred down range today

11. Jan 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    I polished the feed ramp, not the slide. Harbor Freight sells a polishing compound called jewlers red. That and a buffing wheel or a dremel and polish the feed ramp. It's ok from the factory, but after the polish it will look like chrome and be super slick. Should take you no more then 20 min. That includes taking the gun apart, polishing and cleaning the barrel and putting it back together.

12. Jan 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Feed ramp is what I meant my bad. Well I bought another 50 rounds today and put one magazine down range no issues and then first round second magazine fired and round ejected but trigger got stuck down like a spring came loose. Took 3+ min to field strip because it didnt want to cooperate( has a glock style field strip. So trigger pulling is mandatory to strip it. And without trigger working it was being fussy. )
    After field stripping trigger would reset fine. So I shot another round and same thing happened again. So I will be sending this gun back to diamond back and then selling shortly.

13. Jan 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    There's a reason they have a pretty poor reputation. If you're looking for an inexpensive but reliable .380 in that size range take a look at the Bersa's. They're based off the Walther design (as are the Sig P230 and P232; the Sig 238 is a copy of the Colt Mustang) but they're less expensive. If you want a pocket sized .380 take a look at the Ruger LCPs. Any gun should have around 200rnds or so run through it before you trust it. That allows time for parts to wear together, springs to seat fully, etc.

I wouldn't exactly call WWB ammo high quality either- it usually works fine, but it tends to be dirty and gum up smaller pistols faster that some of the other stuff out there.

14. Jan 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    I'll take a look at those 380s you mention. My brother owns a lcp so I've had the chance to shoot and like them. You can tell the quality difference when his lcp was eating the bullets like nothing when my Diamondback was having tons of trouble

15. Jan 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    Front sight

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    After the trigger gets fixed drop me a PM when you get ready to sell the gun.

16. Jan 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Supposedly DB is making strides in improving the quality of their guns

I've heard far too many horror stories to even consider purchasing, and if I were you OP...I'd sell it as soon as it's fixed and buy one of the many fine, quality pocket .380 options that exist

Sig, Ruger, S&W all make quality stuff

I've owned 2 LCPs...traded one on a Glock 19 and regretted getting rid of it...replaced it with a S&W bodyguard...missed my LCP still...traded my BG on a like new LCP...

17. Jan 8, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    i gave my mom my sig p238 for christmas...ive taken to ccarryign a J-frame for any pocket type of situation plus 357 is a lot hotter than a 380

18. Jan 8, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Will do. They Diamond Back said 3 weeks once I send it out till I get it back but that was before the trigger issue occurred not sure if that will delay it more

19. Jan 8, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Yea I've herd the newer serial numbers are supposivley better than the first set they released. But like you said after all this I find it hard to put my life in the hands of this. I left it at my brothers house this week and grabbed my 12gauge for home protection. After shooting my brothers lcp it's definetly in the running when I get a new one.
    Personally I love the 1911 look of the p238. And it is a sig of course.
    I'm even considering a medium frame gun and jumping up to 9 mm but I'm a small frame fella so that's going to be harder to conceal.

20. Jan 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    CaliforniaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. Very, very reliable in 9mm or 40 right out of the box.

Products Discussed in

To Top