1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DiamondBack Covers | Modifications

Discussion in 'DiamondBack Covers' started by catastrofe, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Nov 2, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    kwolf9202

kwolf9202 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morrison, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB
    The towers are Yakima Skylines with the #6 landing pads. Only rated for 165# so I wouldn't recommend it for a RTT. Once camping season rolls back around I'll probably go with a KB Voodoo Rack and Tonneau brackets for a RTT.

coloradobuckeye likes this.
  2. Nov 8, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    mbae

mbae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tacoma TRD Off Road
  3. Nov 18, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    gregdeezey

gregdeezey Active Member

Member:
    Awesome set up, I need to get this without the tray.. I just hit them up about the legs, only thing I couldn't find on their site..

BattlecryTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 19, 2018 at 4:59 PM
    BattlecryTaco

BattlecryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen TRD Off Road DCSB
    Thank you. Ya, I think it's better to just hit them up on the phone or drop in for a visit. Their website doesn't list all the individual parts for mounting the legs onto the tracks. I believe that Mike from the LLOD youtube channel already installed his FRO load bars onto his DiamondBack. I saw it in that video he posted truck camping in the snow recently. He didn't mention the load bars in that video, but he did list them in the description. The customer service at Front Runner should be able to reference his and my order to help you with your build.

5. Nov 19, 2018 at 11:03 PM
    Prowlah

Prowlah Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    So what's the largest recommended cooler that will fit under a Diamondback?
    Edit: With the oem bed mat.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    mauidogg and CAPacificSurfliner like this.
  6. Nov 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    orion808

orion808 Jack of all trades. Master of none.

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tacoma Off-Road (Premium & Tech)
    Interior LEDs Hardwired DashCam/Extra USB Black "Tacoma" on tailgate Blackened Badges Nerf Bars Mud Guards Rear Diff. Breather Mod Plasti-dipped Grille Glovebox Vinyl LED Bed Lights LED soft glow flooring accent lights Custom switches Diamondback Tonneau 3rd Bed Rail Sill Protectors w/ Vinyl Tweeter Upgrades Tint windows Husky Floor Mats Molle Panel behind seats Speaker Upgrades Anytime Camera Mod w/ Secondary Rear Camera Plan: Clazzios 2-3" Lift
    Be mindful of the locking mechanisms. I tend to put my cooler in the middle so it has the most clearance. It's one of the square Coleman's with wheels. Helps to also roll it out while the top is still secure. Will look up size later. It's not the biggest though, so I'll wait to see what others comment.

7. Nov 21, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    Yota74

Yota74 Member

Member:
    Northeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I was annoyed with the Diamondback Tool Bin sliding back and forth while driving so I used the holes in the bin to insert a tie down on both sides. This eliminated my issue. Thought I would pass this simple solution on.

IMG_4463.jpg
    IMG_4464.jpg

8. Nov 21, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Interior LEDs Hardwired DashCam/Extra USB Black "Tacoma" on tailgate Blackened Badges Nerf Bars Mud Guards Rear Diff. Breather Mod Plasti-dipped Grille Glovebox Vinyl LED Bed Lights LED soft glow flooring accent lights Custom switches Diamondback Tonneau 3rd Bed Rail Sill Protectors w/ Vinyl Tweeter Upgrades Tint windows Husky Floor Mats Molle Panel behind seats Speaker Upgrades Anytime Camera Mod w/ Secondary Rear Camera Plan: Clazzios 2-3" Lift
    Nice simple solution. How do you like the bins? Finding them very useful?

9. Nov 21, 2018 at 6:42 AM
    Yota74

Yota74 Member

Member:
    Northeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I really like mine! I use the 8" so I can still use the bed underneath for longer items I may need to carry. I was afraid the 8" would not be big enough but it holds a surprising amount of gear. I found mine on ebay for $140 NIB so I couldn't pass it up! I also lined the inside with Drymate Truck Box Liner that I purchased at our local Walmart. Helps with the rattling/clanking sounds.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    TacoTim85 and shiftd like this.
  10. Nov 21, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    BattlecryTaco

BattlecryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen TRD Off Road DCSB
    I don't have the oem bed mat, so this may not be as helpful. If you want to store it "fixed", closest to the tailgate, and clear the "locking rods", I suggest measuring the distance from the bed mat to the lowest point of the locking rods. Take off at least a 1/4" from that measurement to allow the rods to operate and move freely when unlocking/locking. Without the bed mat, I think I measured that a cooler or fridge (w/ or w/o a slide out tray) needed to either be 19"H or 18"H total (sorry, I forget) or shorter. If you don't need to store it right underneath the locking rods and are okay to keep it further inside the bed on the left or right side, then you can slide the cooler or fridge down the middle (has more clearance) and move it over to the desired side after clearing the rods. You can also store it straight down the middle (w/ or w/o a slide tray), but side spaces will be more limited for the types of bins, gear, etc. that you'd like to store there.

This was able to fit in the bed under the DiamondBack w/ out an oem bed mat:
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/col...4cu9Esf7t8V9W8caiiRoCS5IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also have this, but haven't tried storing it in the bed yet:
    https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pr...ers/electric-coolers/dometic-cfx-50w-_-152178
    I'm pretty sure it should fit under the cover, no problem. I don't have a DC outlet back there and I've heard it's not good to plug into the AC outlet in the bed. Besides, I like having it in the backseat to be able to access snacks and refreshments while on the move (no need to stop if wifey/a passenger is with me or no need to get out if I must stop). Ideally, I'd like to be able to plug it into a DC outlet wired to a second battery in the bed (maybe, recharged by solar power system) or hard wired to the battery up front (but with some aftermarket heavy duty battery).

I'll try to post pics of the cooler and fridge/freezer under the DiamondBack when I can.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    CAPacificSurfliner likes this.
  11. Nov 21, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Pilvr83

Pilvr83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Panhandle, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Limited
    Spiker struts, tailgate step, MESO...$$
    I am thinking about getting the bin as I use milk crates now and constantly have to remove them to add lumber.

Can you tell me what the purpose of the holes in the bin are for? I like your idea and would do the same.

12. Nov 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Yota74

Yota74 Member

Member:
    Northeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I think they are just handles to make lifting it out easier. The other thing I thought was if there were no tie down, like the silver one on the side of my bed in my pic, the bin could slide completely forward and the opening in the bin would allow the bed cover to lock. I'm really not sure though.

13. Nov 21, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, considering this for all my staps and tie downs. They add up and i can't put them in the bed side cubbies unless i waterproof them.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Yota74[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    That orange and grey Coleman is the exact cooler i have. Works great. Lid sticks a little bit requiring 2 hands to open though. Probably just mine.

BattlecryTaco likes this.
  15. Nov 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    savin yours

savin yours Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    SE Tx
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    You work on your truck in a parking garage? I’ve never heard of someone doing that.....is this where you work?

16. Nov 22, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    the_taco_times

the_taco_times Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco TRD OFF ROAD
    6" BDS performance lift with Fox shocks and UCAs Fab Four Vengeance Bumpers Black Oak lights all around Universal Spod with touch screen Full exterior color matched Bed Liner Toyo MT 35" tires with Fuel Trophy D551 Wheels

17. Nov 22, 2018 at 9:31 PM
    Papadave418

Papadave418 Well-Known Member

Member:
  18. Nov 22, 2018 at 9:37 PM
    Papadave418

Member:
    I just did a Death Valley CA run and I fit my Dometic 75DZ under the cover with the OEM bed mat. It just barely fits, the Dometic 50 fits as well, they are the same height. We did 5 nights and 6 days of driving and the fridge never got my battery down to the cut off protection point. I put a power panel in the back using ARB’s locking cig lighter adapter as the Dometic cord opens up to screw in.
    CBE546A4-4C3C-4207-81E0-5E7CCFC6E649.jpg

19. Nov 22, 2018 at 9:43 PM
    Papadave418

Member:
  20. Nov 25, 2018 at 8:25 PM
    Matty0317

Matty0317 @taco.hog

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD O/R DCSB 4x4
    Dirt King +3.5 LT, RCV Axles, Mobtown Sliders, BAMF skids, 4.88's, Relentless Fabrication Front/Rear, Archive Garage Rear, Baja Designs

Products Discussed in

To Top