1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diamondback Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by 3mw, May 11, 2021.

1. May 11, 2021 at 5:00 PM
    3mw

3mw [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Grey Tacoma SR Access Cab
    I really like the Diamondback covers from what I’ve seen on TW and YouTube, but it’s very difficult to drop 2K on something that you’ve never been able to put your hands on. Before I decide to bite the bullet, I would appreciate your help, suggestions, recommendations and any tips please. I have a 3rd Gen LONG bed.

1. What is the ACTUAL weight of the HD and SE for the 3rd Gen Tacoma?

2. Smooth or diamond plate? I think both look great, but I think that the diamond plate would be more rigid and less likely to flex, but I’m not sure. Which would you choose? Why?

3. With or without Diamondback cleats? I was thinking of adding an aftermarket tie down cargo track with adjustable tie down loops instead. Your thoughts or suggestions?

4. I’ve read that Diamondback has a great track record, but I recently read on TW about some issues with the covers leaking around the center part that clamps down, warped panel, and uneven coatings. Is anybody here currently having any issues with their cover? If so, what’s your experience been like dealing with Diamondback?

THANKS

2. May 20, 2021 at 6:32 PM
    PhamDee

PhamDee Active Member

Member:
    1. I have the HD. I haven't weighed it but each panel feels like 40-50lbs more or less?

2. I personally like smooth. I'm honestly not sure if the finish has anything to do with how rigid the cover is or the flex but someone here can correct me if I'm wrong. I think the smooth finish is just cleaner and it's still "grippy" if you're walking on top of it.

3. Cleats have been useful for me. I haven't tied anything down on top of the cover but when I go camping, it's nice to hang stuff on it like camping or hammocks. I'm not aware of the aftermarket cargo track but really, it's what's most beneficial to you.

4. I haven't had any issues with mine. I'm in SoCal so we don't get any harsh rain but I drove up to Colorado for a snowboarding trip and saw some harsh weather but everything was protected in my bed. No leaks either when I pressure wash my truck, haven't experienced any warp panels, and the coating is even to what I can see. In terms of DB customer service, I called them about express shipping because I didn't realize how soon I needed my cover. They were very helpful in guiding me on it (though it was pricey) but besides that, I haven't had a need to call them.

If you're in SoCal and local, I can show you mine? I remember when I bought mine, I was struggling on dropping the money on something I've never seen. I love this cover cause everything is protected inside it, I don't have to worry about things getting wet, people breaking in, or anything breaking. On the other hand, I have been debating on selling mine because I need the height lol I've been folding one panel every day and it works out so that's good but might end up just selling it if I'm going to be needing the height every day.

3. Dec 20, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    DerrickO

DerrickO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x2 Inferno 4x2 3rd Gen

Products Discussed in

To Top