1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did a cheap alternative to $$$ pillar pods

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chad68, May 23, 2009.

1. May 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM
    chad68

chad68 [OP] Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I was thinking of using a pillar gauge pod for my 2 gauges but decided I'm cheap and did something else. I have a pillar pod in my Z but the lights are a bit overpowering at night (kinda in your face too much), so decided to do something different with the truck.

Went to Tap Plastics with my sketch and had them make this for 11 bucks. I could have done it myself if I had a table saw and big enough drill but way easier to just have them make it up. There is a gap at the top, so that if I need to I can use an allen wrench to pop it off if I need to get to the gauges. It's just held in place with red 3M tape on the bottom and the 2 edges. I will probably get some kind of finishing rubber trim stuff so it looks cleaner around all the edges and hides the gap at the top. I had the length made a little longer, so I could finish sand it to the correct length and round the corners, plus there is a slight taper top to bottom.

I used a standard mini "add a circuit" fuse so it's all hard wired. Yes the standard mini add a circuit works perfectlly fine with our mini 'short' fuse blocks, with zero issues. I used a port in the fuse block where the coin holder is. Ran the sending wires through the firewall on the drivers side.

If you redo the sketch, you can fit three 2-1/16" gauges in the panel. originally I had them make up one with 1 hole in the center but then decided to add a digital temp gauge along with the volt meter. Kinda wish I had gotten both digital but I'm ok with it. besides they ain't cheap but the volt gauge was only $45. The dig gauge was like $90, plus 5/8" hose adapter $35 or so, the sheet adds up fast. I used the Autometer 5/8" hose adapter and tapped into the upper hose that goes to the heater core next to the firewall, since it is noticably hotter than the bottom hose, I could only asume it was the ingoing line (hotter from engine block) and the bottom cooler hose was the return line.

They are both wired as of now to be in night mod, so the dig gauge is dimmer and the light to the volt gauge is always on. When I get my hard wire cord for my radar detector, I'm going to wire the gauges to come on with the headlights.

Maybe later, I will order the angled Autometer trim rings to finsih the whole look and get the gauges angled more towards me.

By the way I need a new digital camera.

IMAG0014.jpg
    plate.jpg

2. May 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Looks really nice, maybe since you have figured it out, you should get a piece of aluminum and do it nicely by paint matching the color of your truck, or CF. But still nice to have the extra gauges. Nice though.

3. May 23, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That's pretty good thinking- I know those gauge pods are no cheap part.

To Top