1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I Buy a Lemon?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SoftwareRoader, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jul 24, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    SoftwareRoader

SoftwareRoader [OP] Tacoma's blow

Member:
    Update for anyone who cares:

Took it to Toyota of Renton today. Explained the issues that were happening. Emphasized the issues were mostly happening under load and during shifts.

They told me it would be 4 hours to check everything over, so I stuffed my giant body into their Corolla loaner and left.

3.5 hours later, and some text messages with the service guy and they say it's ready to pick up. They said that they didn't experience any issues, and that everything they checked is fine.

This would have put me at ease, but I asked them what they checked specifically. They said all of the fluids, belts, hoses, battery, brakes, etc.

I know the trans is sealed and somewhat difficult to check, so I pressed them asking to verify they checked the fluid and that it was full. This is when it got super enjoyable.

They start to explain that it's a sealed trans (no sh*t) and they say it's impossible to check. I explain the process I've read (adding fluid to overfill, heating it up, letting it drain out till at right level, check how much came out).

They then tell me that this would have been a charge and they didn't do this to save me money. I started to get frustrated because they basically had my truck for the entire day to check the oil dipstick and drive it around. I said I would have paid for the check, but they never even told me. This is when they said to check the trans they need to do a complete service, including a full drain and fill (lol)

Safe to say, I was not pleased. Even checking their report it lists all of the items that were checked. It specifically says the trans fluid was checked and that it was good. So basically they didn't do the work, and then checked off that it was all good.

I decided to take my truck to another dealer (the one I bought it from). Unfortunately, after wasting all these hours with the other dealer, the service center stopped accepting new vehicles for the day.

I am basically now back right where I started. The grinding noise happened again about 15 mins after I left dealer no. 1.

TLDR: Wasted entire day at dealer for them to check oil dipstick. Truck still having issues

2. Jul 24, 2021 at 9:01 PM
    Sasquatchian

Sasquatchian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Doesn't matter where you take it, you're never going to be happy.

3. Jul 24, 2021 at 9:22 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

You need to go with the tech and show them the noise. If they dont know how to replicate it, they cant do anything.

As for the BS about the transmission fluid, next place ask right when you bring it in about the level.

4. Jul 24, 2021 at 9:40 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    At the least, I would bring up the issue to corporate about them stating they cannot check the trans fluid and still checking it off. Toyota will be paying for a service that was not done and specifically discussed as such..not cool.

5. Jul 24, 2021 at 9:49 PM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    Yes, I will definitely be driving with the tech next time. The issue is that it happens almost every drive, but maybe only once or twice within a 30-45 minute span.

For the trans fluid I'll make sure that gets done even if I have to pay for it. It's not worth having something that simple cause issues if that's actually the source.

6. Jul 24, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    I definitely thought about going to corporate. I know Toyota is a great company, but the dealers are not great to interact with. I have all of the paperwork saying they checked the fluid, so I might go this route.

7. Jul 25, 2021 at 3:26 AM
    CrispyTacoLover

CrispyTacoLover Well-Known Member

Member:
    Was one of the dealers Michaels’s Toyota of Bellevue?

8. Jul 25, 2021 at 3:49 AM
    Hook78

Hook78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    Bilstein 6112/5160 Icon RXT
    Here are some additional steps I would accomplish if I were in your shoes:
    -Try to record the grinding sound with your phone video, so you can play it for the dealership, post here, provide to Toyota corporate etc.
    -As said before attempt to drive with a tech so the tech can hear it. Try to figure out under what circumstances it typically happens so you have a better chance of duplicating with a tech.
    -Figure out who the best independent mechanic is in your area and take it to them. If they agree there’s a problem ask them to put it in writing, this will be enormously helpful ammo.
    -Read ever word of the state lemon law so that you understand what it covers and what’s required. Pay particular attention to what defects it covers, because the defect has to be substantial. Assuming you live in WA state, here it is:

https://www.atg.wa.gov/general-lemon-law

-As far as remedying the issue, I would stick with the dealership who sold you the vehicle if logistically possible. I’d angle nicely for a free transmission service. Ask if there are any TSBs that could be applicable to the symptoms you describe and if they could please be applied.

9. Jul 25, 2021 at 4:31 AM
    trucknh

trucknh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern NH
    First I have not read all the posts here.

It is hard when you have such a major investment and something does not seem right. The last post with the recording the sound like a great idea.

I think you may have gotten more un helpful advice and attention because of the lemon title. Post updates if you can. I am interested how it turns out.

Good luck and don't worry in the grand scheme of things it will be a minor bump in the road. ( but still a pain, granted).

SoftwareRoader[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 25, 2021 at 4:38 AM
    Stoked4

Stoked4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2017 trd sport DCLB (OVtuned)
    I had a 13 sti brand new and experienced a similar issue. After many trips to the dealer I myself figured it out. The motor mounts were loose to the point one nut came off and the grinding noise I was hearing was the threads grinding on the Mount hole. Worth a look

11. Jul 25, 2021 at 5:22 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Beginning to think the op is a hypochondriac, and will never be happy with any outcome. To begin with these trucks are not perfect, no vehicle imo is. Thats what the initial warranty is for. If you think theres still an issue get another evaluation from a different dealership.

12. Jul 25, 2021 at 5:41 AM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hmm you wasted "your" entire day 4 hours despite being put in a loaner vehicle? What did you do sit in their parking lot in said loaner and listen to Cardi B and Halsey?

13. Jul 25, 2021 at 7:27 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    Sometimes....you need to handle tasks on your own.

OP, you say you know the procedure to check the trans fluid....right? So, why don't you squeeze 30 minutes from your busy schedule to check yourself? The check should be very simple. Get the truck into Temp Check mode, pull the check plug on the transmission, you should get a trickle of fluid. Seems to me you could have had this answer 2 weeks ago.

Many times a service crew is responsive to the clients demeanor. You asked them to check the fluids.....they did and they drove it. They can't diagnose something that doesn't manifest. Intermittent problems are the worst to find and sort.

blu92in99, philth, HV101 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jul 25, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    Vlady

Vlady Well-Known Member

Member:
    Issy, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCSB V6 4x4
    For my 25 years living here, I've been to all Seattle dealerships (from Edmonds to Burien) with new and old cars. I've been treated fairly at all of them.
    The issue is not a dealer....

15. Jul 25, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    asuchemist

asuchemist My Hamstrings Hurt!

Member:
    South South Dirty Gilbert
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Sport V6, 23' TRD Pro 4Runner, 23' Tacoma TRD Pro
    NONE
    Have you taken their master mechanic on a ride along with you? You drive the vehicle and when you hear the issue tell the mechanic this what you are talking about along with the tranny shifts etc.

16. Jul 25, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    Exactly this ^ OP, it seems like you know what's wrong with your truck and what's wrong with your truck is what you know so handle it yourself or find an independent shop which can do an auto trans fluid check.

BTW How was that Corolla? Pretty swanky, right? :D

17. Jul 25, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    Knute

Knute Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4.0L Tacoma TRD Sport
    Stock, 4WD, Access Cab, White,
    He doesn't know. He just sat in the parking lot listening to the audio system.

18. Jul 25, 2021 at 9:53 AM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^.... Video and audio the problem with your phone and take that in to prove your point ... you can tape or wire tie your phone to the engine bay to catch good sounds and videos if necessary ...

My buddy wire tied his phone under his truck to show and hear his driveline vibrations.

19. Jul 25, 2021 at 10:16 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    If nothing else I would for that reason. I suspect Toyota won't like to be paying the dealer for work not being done.

20. Jul 25, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    Was able to record a video of it happening. The noise only lasts for a second or two, and is louder the faster you're driving.

I was only going 25mph when I recorded, so it isn't super loud, but definitely noticeable. The noise happened again later in the drive on the highway, and was louder, but I was not recording.

https://youtu.be/n3oXug1TFGw

Products Discussed in

To Top