1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I Buy a Lemon?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SoftwareRoader, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    SoftwareRoader

SoftwareRoader [OP] Tacoma's blow

Member:
    I understand that they want to make me happy, but the biggest issue I have is having to interact with them in the first place. All of my experiences have been extremely negative with their service department. I have to deal with service reps who have no clue what they're talking about. I am not able to speak to a tech, or choose who I want to work on my truck.

Also, there are no loaner vehicles, or even rental cars available right now. I specifically bought this truck so that I didn't have to rent a truck for my needs.

I would love it if I could take the truck and just get it fixed for free, but this doesn't take into account the time and gas spent on this.

Like I responded to another comment, I bought this truck to have something that doesn't waste all of my time. I figured a brand new Toyota would be problem-free. I would have bought an old Lexus GX if I wanted something to spend all my time on

2. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:18 AM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    Yes, but people want to joke about me mentioning a lawyer. When you're dealing with 10s of 1,000s of dollars it is serious stuff, and sometimes it takes legal action to have things move along.

From all the responses and reading I've done, I don't think I have a lemon, but it is good to hear of other stories. I avoided all other brands due to poor quality so I'm pretty bummed to be having issues with a brand new Toyota truck

3. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    My only remorse is not leasing it

4. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    philth

philth .

Member:
    You do realize that there is one common denominator in all your experiences right? … and you for sure seem like a reasonable person.

I’m not gonna sit here and go through your post history to call you out on the inane ramblings about lawyers and boogeymen dealers and your mechanical expertise, then back tracking, then re-tracking.
    But, my dude, you started this [second] thread at 9:20pm last night. It’s now 1:30ish my time. You have provided exactly ZERO proof of anything, ZERO willingness to actually SOLVE this apparent issue, and you keep replies steady…. In circles.. just moaning and crying. We’re all sorry that you didn’t buy a Ridgeline, but cut us some slack here, there are people trying to help you and you shoot it all down.

I’m calling this out as a troll thread. OP is a troll. First thread didn’t get the reaction he wanted, this one managed to gain traction.

jayuu, Lt. Dangle, blu92in99 and 5 others like this.
  5. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    You are a real Columbo.

Besides a bunch of sarcastic comments, I've actually gotten some helpful advice. If you want to see this as a troll then thats fine. I haven't mentioned another brand one single time. My previous vehicle was a Toyota, and this is my first brand new Toyota.

I tried to record video last night, but it is tough trying to drive, make the noise happen, and record. I found more issues when in 4hi, after some people recommended me try driving like that.

I'm sorry that I am not just jumping at the idea of taking my brand new vehicle to the dealer and leaving it there. I don't have another vehicle. I bought a brand new truck to have no issues/time sinks, and this is the total opposite of that.

I literally said that my other option was to buy an old Lexus truck, but you want to mention a Ridgeline. I'm not gunna let the few sh*tposters derail me trying to get some advice. I'm sorry that you don't like the way I've responded or handled my own thread, but there's nothing keeping you here.

6. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:38 AM
    Kev250R

Kev250R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Orange, So.Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
    Floor mats, junk in center console
    I’m only here for the whining and totally relevant cultural references :popcorn:

7. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:44 AM
    philth

philth .

Member:

8. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    Matte Black burnt rust

Matte Black burnt rust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Don't wait take it back to the dealership and document the issues.Sorry to hear this about a Toyota. Make sure that you connect with Toyota and not just the dealership.

9. Jul 21, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    pinem56

pinem56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB AT
    I think the reason you are getting so many sh*tposts is due to your handle and that fact you seem to be playing to type. I'm on the spectrum too, so I realize those that are not, don't overanalyze things to a point of intransigence.

Just go to the dealer and see what happens. Be polite, work out your delivery in advance so you don't come off as a douche/dweeb. Maybe game plan with someone who is normal, to work on how to approach the dealership.

wiggler, philth and Kev250R like this.
  10. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:03 AM
    SoftwareRoader

Member:
    Lol I could definitely see my handle impacting the responses

I am pretty normal in person, as hard as that is to believe haha, but I am definitely not in the best mood having to deal with issues on a brand new truck.

I will most likely call the dealer later today and see what they think. I'm hoping it is just something simple like normal break-in, or even low fluid levels.

11. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:06 AM
    holvey

holvey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD OR
    The only thing preventing it from moving along is the fact that you have not been in contact with a dealer to get them to take a look at it. I'm not sure how you know that the dealer doesn't have loaner cars, if you haven't tried to make an appointment with them in the first place. You've said you are in Seattle, and there has to be like 10-15 Toyota dealers in town. If you don't like one, then try another.

You have received a lot of good advice on here, but the best advice you have received is "Take it to a dealer".

If I were in your shoe's, I would call the salesperson that walked you through the buying process of your truck. Tell them about the issue and you concerns about your needing a vehicle if the can't immediately diagnose the problem. They will try and work with you to keep you happy.

SOSHeloPilot likes this.
  12. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I'm not sure what you mean by normal break-in. My truck sounds and drives the same after 20K miles, although the shifting is a bit better -- not smoother, but timing-wise. Don't let them tell you it is normal break-in and will go away, that isn't going to happen.

Tell them what you are experiencing, how to replicate it, and offer to take the tech for a drive to show him.

SOSHeloPilot likes this.
  13. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Your insurance should be able to supply you with a loaner. Or tell the stealership that they need to go get a rental for you.

14. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:11 AM
    SteveinFL

SteveinFL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Hard folding tonneau cover, running boards, mud flaps, locking tailgate, tinted windows
  15. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:23 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Working my way through this thread here... I'll probably post again...

No, video/audio is NOT your next step. As people have said 1000 times, taking it to a dealer is the next step.

16. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150
    My 2021 recently started doing the same thing. I'll get it to the dealership sooner or later. Mine has just under 4k mi on the clock.

You need help replicating the issue...no problem. I've noticed it happens most frequently when humidity is extremely high, get the transmission good and warm, then engage ECT, get up to a cruising speed of 45-50 plus, and give the gas a moderate stab while you're still above 1900 rpm's. When those conditions are met mine does it pretty consistently...easily 75% plus.

I have an educated suspicion on what the issue is, but I'll let Toyota deal with it when I have the time.

Mastiffsrule likes this.
  17. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    Grindstone

Grindstone Requires Adult Supervision

Member:
    Imagine all the time one could spend talking to a dealer to fix the perceived problem rather than replying to every. single. post.

jayuu, philth, Lt. Dangle and 4 others like this.
  18. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    averagejp

averagejp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Black Tacoma Extended Cab
    Work in progress
    OP,

I understand your frustration with having a new truck and having a problem with it already. I feel bad for you. You have a brand new, shiny truck and you might have something wrong with it. That has to be disappointing. But if you don't fix it right away I can assure you that your frustration and disappointment will only get much worse!

But, as Eleanor Roosevelt famously said, "I would rather light a candle than curse the darkness."

Two things for you to consider:

First, get to the dealer immediately. You mentioned that you are in Seattle. There are a ton of Tacomas in Seattle and numerous dealers (check out Dealer Rater for the one with the highest service rating and go to that one). Only two possibilities here. First, the issue is minor. If you get it taken care of you can then get on to enjoying your new truck. Second, there is a major issue here. If that is the case you are under warranty and you want to get the dealer to open a service ticket immediately. If there is an issue the sooner you start a paper trail the better off you are. That's just how this works ...

Second, you say you don't have the time, you don't like dealers, you don't want to spend the money for gas to go there, etc. I get it. It is frustrating. Even maddening. I want to say this in the most constructive and kind way possible -- you need to grow up. None of us want to spend time in the service department at a car dealer -- even ones that offer free coffee, donuts and wifi. It sucks. None of us want to take the time out of our busy schedules to do that. None of us want to have to fix something we purchased as new. But that is all part of being an adult and functioning in society. Bitch about it. Complain about it. I am right there with you. But get over it and get it done. Welcome to life.

I would ignore any of the snarky comments here. Get the truck to the dealer or a dealer. Get the problem on record. The sooner you do that the sooner it will be diagnosed and fixed. Tacomas are great but every once in a while they come off the line and there is a problem. It happens.

Please post back after you visit a dealer and start the process. Look at all of these dealers in the greater Seattle area. This should get you started.

Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 2.47.15 PM.jpg

yotadude520, Shark and philth like this.
  19. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    Taco_757

Taco_757 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport 4X
    OP,
    Have you ever thought that maybe you are the lemon?

Kev250R, philth and Lt. Dangle like this.
  20. Jul 21, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Only one thing is gonna fix this. Op jump in that truck and drive straight to a therapist. Good luck but man you’re all over the place.

philth likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top