1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I get a busted or even the correct VSV?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TheMike515, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    TheMike515

TheMike515 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    OME Coilovers and Dakar Leafs
    So in order to pinpoint my Emissions CEL's I checked the VSV's behind the battery a few days ago w/ a 9v battery and some leads, one clicked, the other didn't. So it seemed simple enough to me that all i needed to do was replace it and I'd be on my way. Well, after much searching I couldn't find anything by either of the numbers on the part

25860-75230
    101362-2200

So after much more searching I finally settled on the Dorman 911-603 because from what I could see on the web pics it looked closest.

Today I finally get it in the mail from RockAuto... After opening it seems to have a slightly different mounting piece, but seems that I should still be able to make it work. So I decided to test it with my 9v battery and see what a working one of these should do... hooked it up and nothing! So...did I get a faulty part or is this part not even supposed to click open and allow airflow? Now I'm puzzled and about ready to go straight to Toyota and see what they sell me...(for probably 3x the price)

[​IMG]

2. Mar 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    Buggys3sgte

Buggys3sgte Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    !@$*
    Psycho state of AZ
    Vehicle:
    97 BUDGET Taco
    Newly rearranged front end, sick Hurst shifter yo gives it lightning fast shifts, thats it more to come.
    That is a vacuum valve of some sort probably for emissions equipment. The 25860-75230 i can get you one through toyota for about $65 but you may wanna test it with a toyota factory repair manuel, not all vacumm valves are tested exactly the same. Also the other # you posted doesn't even come up so it probably is of no concern i would give toyota the #25860-75230. Good Luck

3. Mar 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    These pages should help you test what you have. They are the 03 info, but should be same as 02 v6 so hope that is what you are working on. Hope these help. You'll need an ohm meter to test them, but if you don't have they can be bought pretty cheaply.

4. Mar 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Try using 12V form the battery. 9v is below the 10% threshold and may not cycle that particular VSV.

5. Mar 30, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    TheMike515

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks for the inspection docs HilingDoner... I've been looking through the downloadable FSM but was a little confused about navigating through it all. This is exactly what I needed. AS for the battery, I was using the 9v because I was afraid the car battery would fry it... but if you guys think it will work i'll power it straight off of that for the test.

It doesn't look like there's anything where I need a pressure gauge to test then.

6. Apr 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    TheMike515

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    Ok, So now I've checked all 3 valves properly and they all work fine. I don't need that wrong part I ordered anyway. Also I've visually inspected all of the vac lines and everything looks fine. I would assume that the next step be to check the charcoal canister.

But I'm in addition to my Emissions codes I'm throwing I'm also getting a PO300 misfire code and a P0171 lean code so It leads me to believe its related to the EGR and the Charcoal canister shouldn't be causing this. After doing quite a bit of searching it seems that the 3.4L's don't have an EGR....is this correct? If so I'm lost as to where to go from here ---- ICA or MAF? ...is there something else that recirculates Exhaust gas?

7. May 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    TheMike515

Member:
    Phoenix AZ
    So after a few weekends with a vac pump testing everything I could find and narrowing it down to the gas tank or Canister I finally decided to take it somewhere and have an expert look at it before I gave up and just threw a canister at it. They were able to pressurize the system and nail it down to the 'rollover valve' something I probably never would have found on my own... And i guess they had to remove the bed to replace it (still cheaper than a canister). So I'm planning on getting my truck tomorrow and crossing my fingers that its a good while before I see another CEL.

Products Discussed in

To Top