1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did Weapons Fail U.S. Troops During Afghanistan Assault?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Packman73, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Oct 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    40204ever

40204ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caldwell, TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco racing development
    The platform has evolved and it works. We are not fielding the same rifle that was issued in Vietnam. Its not just our rifle, it's the weapon of the free world. There is a huge legacy factor. Even if you get a new battle implement, It must work within the system. The rifles out there fighting to replace the M4 all take the same round and magazines as any AR type rifle. This is just like when the M1 Garand was introduced, it was specified to take the 30-06 cartridge. In world war II there were alot of bolt action '03's still fighting. 40 plus years after their adoption. The Garand saw service in Vietnam as a sniper platform and it was also chambered in 7.62 Nato and sold to our allies. The M14 is still issued (50 plus years and counting). I think our speed of adaptation has stayed about the same.

If I have left something out, let me know.

2. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    AVTOMAT

AVTOMAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DBL Cab Super White
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research
    So what you are saying is it would be rare to find an AR(carbine length) type to group above 1"? Does the shooter have anything to do with this?Like if you took human errors while shooting out of it?Wouldn't most of both types be very accurate?Most important to me , WHAT makes the AK type inaccurate? If a person has an AK with under 3" groups at 100 yds they should hang on to it?What type of AK is able to shoot under 3" groups?

3. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    What makes an AK reliable is the same thing that makes it less accurate; loose tolerances.
    Tighter tolerances with the AR gives it remarkable accuracy but makes it more likely to jam than an AK.
    People like to compare them but to me they're apples and oranges.

4. Oct 13, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I saw you driving on Scottsdale Road today. I followed you up to Acoma.. you didn't see me :(

5. Oct 13, 2009 at 3:46 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    FWIW on the AK thing...just like the AR, there are numerous manufacterers and quality levels. a better comparison would be an AR & AK74 that fires the 5.45mmx39mm catridge. Arsenal Inc. out of Nevada is making some pretty sweet Kalashnikovs.

6. Oct 13, 2009 at 4:15 AM
    40204ever

40204ever Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caldwell, TX
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco racing development
  7. Oct 13, 2009 at 4:38 AM
    sparklegrease

sparklegrease Baller Outrageous

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 AT 2WD AC 2.4L
    235x75x15 Kuhmos. SnugTop Tonneau. Blacked out some interior parts. Pioneer head unit. Ammo can mod, deck plate mod and sandbox mod from not putting my deck plate back in.
    I can tell you from experience that even when cleaning your weapon every 3 days (the text book recommended amount) while in the field, it only takes one sandstorm to clog up your weapon. I am very adamant about weapons maintenance with my Marines and hold myself to the same standard, but quite frankly if you are rolling out on convoy or patrolling for a week or so it's not always feasible to clean your weapon everyday or several times a day (weather/situation dictating) and we need a weapon that won't get all finicky in the event that a situation like that arises. Don't mistake this for laziness as I have seen Marines sacrifice sleep and chow for weapons maintenance.
    Unfortunately, the M249 SAW (machine gun) is notorious for jamming regardless of how often it is cleaned and I have been pushing for an improved light machine gun for years. I have fired the SAW plenty of times in my career thus far and I have not ever been make it through an entire belt w/o a jam or stovepipe.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a direct line to the Commandant so I haven't gotten my agenda very far.:D

8. Oct 13, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    That was me. I was on my way home from a side job. All I was thinking about was a shower. ;)

9. Oct 13, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    De-badge.Pro Comp 7089.White front emblem.AFE pro dry air filter.Full Wet Okole covers.The rest in progress pending research
    WOW.Those guys can't shoot for shit! They should go teach all Iraqis and Afgahns.....help keep our guys safer.

10. Oct 14, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    What it really sounds like happened over there is that of the two M4s mentioned in the article one M4 took a round to the receiver and the other M4 worked until it got too hot to hold.

How would a piston design have helped either situation?

11. Oct 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    It might not have but between the two, the piston doesn't transfer heat back to the receiver and may not have gotten the second rifle as hot. Who knows. It's theory and speculation as far as I'm concerned.

12. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:40 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Thanks for the update. I knew that the 1903's were still being used in WW2 (my grandfather had one issued), and that the M14 is still a used weapon, but didn't realize the Garand made it all the way to Vietnam. My point was that the M-16 had lots of jamming problems when it came out (reportedly), and this article just brings up old issues with the basic platform (or at least, similar problems). A shame that after 40 years these problems are making news again. FWIW, last time I shot a (civilian) AR, I stovepiped 3 out of 5 rounds. However, when I qual'd on a M16 it worked fine.

Thanks to the ones that replied without getting defensive - I wasn't trying to implicate any of you personally. I'll be the first to admit that I love killing paper targets, but I'm not the best at cleaning after. Of course, my weapons are all war-surplus and pretty dirty to begin with! Kudos to you for staying up on your men.

13. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    NCTacoma09

NCTacoma09 Stand for Nothing or Die for Something

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Double Cab 4x4 V6
    I dont agree with that article at all. I was an Infantryman with the 82nd Airborne and served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. My weapons never failed me when I needed them. If weapons do fail it is almost always a direct result of the soldier and their failure to do what is needed to maintain the weapon. Should a weapon fail, any good soldier should be able to determine the problem and take the proper action.

14. Oct 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    Voos

Voos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Dbl Cab SB TRD Off Road
    Icon CO's, Total Chaos UCA's All-Pro 3" leaf packs w/ U bolt flip +Timbren, Rear Bilstein 5100's, Dick Cepek DC1's Black, 285/70R17 BFG ATko, ProDryS drop in, Dynomax Super Turbo
    The Stoner design is top notch.. Unfortunately these weapons don't get the care required for a design with such tight tolerances...

15. Oct 18, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    AVTOMAT

Member:
    Behind you
    Vehicle:
    I wonder why he never used the DI again.....

16. Oct 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    Voos

Voos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Dbl Cab SB TRD Off Road
    Icon CO's, Total Chaos UCA's All-Pro 3" leaf packs w/ U bolt flip +Timbren, Rear Bilstein 5100's, Dick Cepek DC1's Black, 285/70R17 BFG ATko, ProDryS drop in, Dynomax Super Turbo
    NO doubt gas piston is a great addition to the design

17. Oct 21, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
  18. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
  19. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    damn it! blocked from work because it is classified as "weapons". i'll have to check it out later in order to intelligently debate with you. but until i can do that i will have to settle for unintelligently debating with you. so i'll start by saying "nuh uh, glock is better"

20. Oct 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Haha, well we'll say that the XD was put through a 20,000 round torture test and it came through with flying colors. I'm sure Glock would as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top