1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diff/driveshaft "slap" ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gtrotter, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Feb 11, 2011 at 11:56 PM
    gtrotter

gtrotter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interlake, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular cab 4x4, ARB's, 4.88's, bumpers, 2017 DCSB SR5 stock,2008 Reg. Cab 4x4
    locker,mud tires, lifted, toolbox
    See original thread here:
    Having some issues here fellas, any help is appreciated. I don't want to start just throwing parts at it if I don't have to, ya know?;)

For the clicky impaired:

Hey guys, just a quick tech question here.
    Little info first, it is a 2009 tacoma regular cab 4x4, lockright rear locker, 5 speed

After leaving work tonight, I heard a "slap," alomost like a flatspotted tire,coming from somewhere beneath/behind me. It goes away when either the clutch is in, trans in neutral, or coasting in gear. It is speed dependent, and the gear I am in doesn't matter. The slap seems to get faster, the faster I go, but goes away when I let off and coast, even in gear.

When taking off it doesn't quite seem like it has that "engagement/grab" feel like when the locker engages. Is it possible that the springs or something are worn out or broken? I took it up a ramp on the way home and I could lift a wheel off without slipping a tire in 2wd. Could it be a u joint going bad? I thought I detected a minute amount of play in the front u joint of the driveshaft.

I'm kind of stumped and I am going to park it until I figure it out and can get it fixed.

2. Feb 12, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    bdd151

bdd151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit with Dakar Rear Springs, LR UCA's, AFE Catback, Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover, Tacoma bed mat, Katzkin Leather interior, heated seats, Nfab nerf bars and light bar.
    I would look at a U-joint first, that would be your cheapest route. I had the same sympton your describing on my jeep and it ended up being the u-joint. The needle bearings were worn down/non-existent on the one side of the cup.

3. Feb 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM
    gtrotter

Member:
    Interlake, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular cab 4x4, ARB's, 4.88's, bumpers, 2017 DCSB SR5 stock,2008 Reg. Cab 4x4

Well, this morning I went out for some investigative work. I checked the slop in the driveshaft, and it had a good inch and a half of rotational slop before you couldn't turn it anymore. Is that normal? I think the front u joint is bad, but couldn't drop the driveshaft to drive around in 4hi to check. Talk about overtightened bolts.

4. Feb 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    gtrotter

Member:
    Interlake, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Well, I dropped the rear driveshaft to locate the proble fore or aft today. Drove around, and sure enough I couldn't get the noise to rear its' ugly head. So, I went ahead and replace the u joints and put the driveshaft back in. Took it for a drive, and guess what? Still had that damn noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top