1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diff Grenade with Pics

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BirdTRD, May 7, 2010.

1. May 8, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD [OP] Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Actually it already has been done by the dealership. I have the truck back now. Unfortunately, I have a drive shaft shudder at 5 mph now.:mad: I never did before but for some reason removing the drive shaft and putting it back on caused a vibe. Time for a CB bearing drop.

I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Free is free. If it hadn't been done under warranty, yes, I would have definitely searched for beefier parts. Who's ECGS?

2. May 8, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    East Coast Gear Supply. Randy's Ring and Pinion also supplies R&Ps along with rebuild kits for our trucks. The difference between the two is that ECGS will warranty there work and send you a completed third (just like your dealer gets sent) and you can simply slap it into your housing. So easy a cave man could do it.

As for the vibe, are you sure it didn't get hit while you were transporting it? It doesn't take a whole lot to throw one out of balance.

3. May 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    and if you are going to go east coast gear supply might as well regear due to your bigger tires but then there's the problem of having to do the front as well and then if you do the front might as well get a locker and then you need a compressor. Oh man see the circles.

4. May 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...It's beautiful isn't it??

5. May 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Sure is just not for the bank account.:)

6. May 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    WRrider450

WRrider450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Torranceish
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    13" Wicked Flow Muffler
    dude that hill climb is insane

7. May 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Better parts from ECGS will help, but it's not like the Toyota parts are not high quality, it's just quite under sized for the truck.

8. May 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Just out of curiosity, when you removed the drive shaft, did you happen to mark the shaft and the flanges at both ends? This technique ensures that the drive shaft was reinstalled exactly how it was for balancing purposes. This may be a moot point since the dealer did the work and they should know what they are doing... Just a thought.

9. May 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    No, I didn't. I have an appointment next week at the dealer. They said to bring it in and they'll work on the shudder. I keep you all posted.

10. May 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    cmack, how in the hell do you have over 17,000 posts in less than one year????????????????? don't you have a job?

11. May 17, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    I think the call it phasing the drive shaft and I can verify that this, if not done, can cause problems

BTW -- great photos! By the looks of the first photo my ass woulda be chewing on the seat on a climb that steep but it Looks like fun. The other photos don't look as bad as the first

12. May 22, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Update: I took the truck back to the dealership regarding the shudder. They had a hard time finding the problem but eventually with the truck on the lift, a tech in it power braking, and a second tech and the service manager standing underneath watching, they found some play in the carrier bearing. They have a new cb on order for me that will also be taken care of under warranty. I'll let you know if it fixes it. They also recommended I buy a cb drop.

I'm very fortunate to have a damn fine dealership right here in town!

13. Nov 1, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Holy crap

14. Jun 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    Fivespeed

Fivespeed Well-Known Member

Member: