1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diff Lock ?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoDawgs, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.
    So this may be a dumb question but please humor me. Why is the differential locker on the rear? It seems to me the locker should be on the front where the most weight, and subsequently the most traction. Maybe I don't completely understand how 4wd works but here goes. With open differentials, the easiest to spin tire in the rear gets traction, and the easiest to spin in the front gets traction. Would make more sense to me to have both tires in the front get traction with a locker. Or, in 4wd is the front not acting like an open differential anymore? Thanks for the help.

2. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Locker comes on TRD Off Road, not all TRD Off Road models have 4wd, thus from the factory the locker comes on the rear. Just cuz the factory doesn't install that way doesnt mean you cant :thumbsup:

3. Sep 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Also with a locked front end it's harder to turn the truck and really a locker in the front and not the rear would not be the greatest setup locked front & rear nice but Toyota didn't do that.

And honestly you would need to be wheeling hard to even need a front locker I have made some pretty extreme lines open in the front.

4. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The locker is most useful when climbing steep, rough trails... Going uphill, the center of gravity shifts towards the rear. Having the locker on the rear would be my first choice if it wasn't already provided.

Naturally, the 2WD Off Road TRDs don't have a front differential, so those only could be on the rear... the drive wheels.

Just to clear up the OP's statement in the first post... traction happens when the tires are NOT spinning, when they actually move the truck. When one tire looses traction it spins (gets the 'power'). A locker divides the power equally across the axle, both tires must turn at the same rate so a better chance of moving you if one of the two tires is on firmer ground. If both are in the air or in slime, both will spin the same... as they would with an open differential if the amount of traction is equal.

The fact that engine weight is in the front reduces the need for a front locker over a rear locker... That weight helps both front tires to have more traction.

One thing for sure, having at least one locker makes a big difference in traction and driving ability. The 2009+ Off Road 4WD Tacomas have Active Traction Control which is a much stronger limited slip (really a non-slip) system than TRAC or ALSD. Because it functions on all 4 tires you will have the kind of traction that only otherwise come from front and rear lockers.

5. Sep 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    TacoDawgs

TacoDawgs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Radiant Red DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Front 5100s at 1.75. Rear TSB. LoRider tonneau cover. OEM bed mat. OEM bug deflector. Illuminated 4x4 switch. In cab AC outlets. 400W anytime. EGR in channel window visors. Black badges. Rear weathertech liners.
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Makes sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top