1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difference between Rough Country/RCD DB Lift? [Moved]

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by NeonHeights, May 29, 2017.

1. May 29, 2017 at 5:38 PM
    NeonHeights

NeonHeights [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well posted in the wrong forum section so reposting here..

Im in the market right now for a 4 to 5" DB lift. I am aware that Rough Country is definitely not the highest quality lift on the market and in most cases people hate the ride quality of the lift. Ive been looking at the RCD and Fabtech lifts which get way better ratings but are double and in some cases triple the price of the RC lift.

These DB lifts are pretty much Heavy Duty extensions and metal brackets with a set of new shocks/struts. Unlike the 2 and 3" lifts which are all springs/shocks/struts, the DB lifts all rely on the cross-member replacements, brackets etc. These brackets are essentially just chunks painted metal and unlike shocks/struts which have a huge quality gap between the really good/expensive shit and the garbage, the brackets I imagine are fairly consistent between brands.

My question is this: Could I not just buy a cheap Rough Country DB lift and use the brackets/metal parts but not the shitty RC shocks, and buy much better shocks/struts such as 5100s like the ones that the RCD and Fabtech comes with? The brackets/cross members seem like they will all be fairly similar from brand to brand and its the shock quality that really makes the difference. So if I can save myself $1000 by buying a $900 RC lift with $600 worth of great shocks on top of that instead of a $2500 RCD lift doesnt that make more sense?

All input is welcome

2. May 31, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    Bump, anyone have any idea if this would work?

3. May 31, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    The steering knuckles design varies from brand to brand. Also the amount of drop varies.

One difference is RCD comes with lateral compression struts, RC does not.

I have an RCD, so if you need anything measured, let me know. It gave me exactly 5" in the front and 4" in the rear when I installed it.

4. May 31, 2017 at 4:46 PM
    NeonHeights

Member:
    How much did you pay for the full lift? Are you liking it? Im definitely leaning towards the RCD lift but its a fortune compared to other 6" lifts like RC which obviously are lower quality but still. Im seeing the full rcd lift for $2500 which isnt far off from a more functional and great looking all pro long-travel build

5. Jun 1, 2017 at 1:59 PM
    wobble

wobble Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ridgefield, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR
    Modified RCD Lift, 315/70R17 STT Pros
    I think it was around $1800, 3 years ago.

I liked it when I was running 33s. I think 6" lifts look silly with 33s.

Since going with 35s, I've had to modify it to gain more lift. I wish I'd have gone with a 6" lift since shock options are limited for me and CV angles would be slightly better with a 6" lift.

6. Jun 4, 2017 at 8:44 AM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    Good idea, I've done that too with my FJ. First Bilstein 5100 and then updates them to FOX 2.5/2.0. Never installed the shocks and springs which came in the kit.

Rough Country crossmembers/spindles are ok quality. I like the design, the drop brackets are not so high than in other brands, so the ground clearance is better and it looks better too.

Products Discussed in

To Top