1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Different take on an air intake

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lurkin, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    More like POKE! :rolleyes:

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    I have an Airaid and throttle spacer and anyone living near the Myrtle beach area is welcome to come and swap their stock one out for mine. It was on the truck when I bought it and discovered it after opening the hood a few weeks after buying the truck LOL..

3. Oct 10, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    tacoJAK

tacoJAK Nothin like a Toyota...

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Middleboro
    Vehicle:
    06 Base 4x4
    None yet...
    Ok so I have read all these posts on here and i have to burst a few bubbles here...

On normal modern vehicles NONE of these aftermarket intakes or mods are going to show noticeable improvements.

Anything you FEEL will most likely be in your head. Any MPG improvements of 1 to 5 MPG are most likely due simple things like changing weather (I.E. your initial test was in summer and your final test is in winter) or your in your initial test you had a lead foot and your final test you had a light foot (Or the opposite depending on your mods). SHOW ME DYNO RESULTS!

This youtube channel is awesome check out these videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8&list=TLvvowr7nB1ZtvTpmXaGxdfdblV8c3wujF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI&list=TLvvowr7nB1ZtvTpmXaGxdfdblV8c3wujF

Next topic an engine is like a giant air pump. People changing the exhaust to aftermarket CAT BACK systems helps...well it doesn't! Our vehicles need back-pressure to operate correctly. The only way to compensate for that is to reprogram the computer to maintain proper air fuel ratios. So just changing the exhaust is no good...

Now if you changed the exhaust and then added a cold air intake, THEN reprogrammed the computer you MIGHT see noticeable improvements. Now when I say NOTICEABLE i mean more than 15 HP, but most likely that will STILL NOT BE THE CASE. Now if you reprogrammed your ECM (The computer that runs your vehicle) using a DYNO then you will most definitely see improvements. This is because your engine will be able to suck in more air, add the correct amount of fuel to it, and then remove the exhaust gases efficiently.

Now when I mentioned the engine is like a giant air pump what I meant was this. Think about trying to suck air quickly through a regular straw. It is fairly easy because the diameter of the straw is fairly large. Now try to quickly suck air through a stirring straw (like the little brown ones at Dunkin Donuts), and you notice it is pretty hard. Now try to suck air quickly through an empty paper towel roll. It is kinda hard right? Because there is TOO MUCH air and not enough suction. This is the same for engines. If you put a Cold Air Intake or Ram Air intake on your vehicle you think "oh this smooth aluminum pipe will be less restrictive" and "oh this new round air filter has more surface area so it will allow more air to be sucked in". Well that is all well and good if your engine can make use of all that air...but I am sorry. It CAN'T.

Your engine is designed to have certain back pressure on the exhaust AND INTAKE. So these little mods hurt your HP if they do anything. Now if you had a Super Charger or a Turbo Charger then these mods are a must. But most of us do not have those so they are useless to us...

Lastly on my bubble bursting rant RAM AIR INTAKES are useless on normal daily drivers. The velocity of the air being sucked into your engine already is AT LEAST the same speed of you driving your car around at 40 MPH...so if you gain ANYTHING from a RAM AIR INTAKE it is on the highway ONLY. So in case this does not quiet make sense right now let me say this. The air being RAMMED into your intake needs to be FASTER the air already being sucked in by the engine running. Otherwise there is no benefit...

That is all I have to say. I do not design cars or anything for a living but I am an engineer. So take this or leave it. It does not matter to me. I just figured I would share some information.

dborrer likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/229882-n-power-gains-dynos-w-mods.html

Products Discussed in

To Top