1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dim temperature/ compass display

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Tector, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Mar 12, 2018 at 6:51 AM
    Tector

Tector [OP] Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD V6
    I have a 2005 TRD Sport, access cab (not standard or crew cab), V6, 6-speed manual, trailer towing prep package (don't know how much of this is germane to my question). Lately I've noticed that the temp/ compass display is dim. Before this I had noticed that it can be difficult to see on real bright sunny days, but lately it seems still more difficult-- and not all the time, either. So it is an intermittent problem (which I know can be a bugger to track down). When the display appears dim, it seems to get dimmer still (as it should) when I turn on the headlights. Obviously this is not a major problem, but I'd still like to know if there is an inexpensive and not-too-difficult way to fix it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. Mar 13, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    stefanlg55

stefanlg55 Toyota Master Technician

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD OffRoad
    This is a known issue with the solder points for the resistors on the circuit board. All you need to do is re soldier them. Should be a few videos on youtube for this exact issue.

3. Mar 16, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    Tector

Tector [OP] Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5 TRD V6
    When I bought this truck (a little less than 5 years ago), that display puked. I found out then from this forum that the resistors were the problem; soldered them, problem solved. I wondered about them when this "dim" display problem came up; I would have thought the resistors would either kill the display completely, or leave it full bright. So, I learned something. I'll have to get to soldering them again. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top