1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Direct (gas) Impingement vs. Piston

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Xshark, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Feb 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    Xshark

Xshark [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    A whole lotta ink has been spilled in this debate.

I've read lots about it, but I'd like some first-hand experience from the 'Team Piston' group.

2. Feb 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    well, as you alluded to this is quite a debate... i dunno, from what i've heard DI should be plenty reliable for most uses, ...i've heard the piston systems can have problems of their own..

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
  4. Feb 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    ^^^ +1.

I got 2 DI AR's and 2 piston AR's.....I'll take the piston gun over the DI anyday. Less lube, less potential for failure, and most importantly (practical reasons) less cleaning. :D

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    I love Piston over DI, however there is a larger debate raging with Long stroke piston vs short stroke.

Short stroke is more accurate, given the energy is applied as a single momentary impulse. Long stroke is more reliable, given that all components are connected and the only form of blockage would be a destroyed gas tube...

6. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    Murph

Murph Go Pack Go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fox Valley, WI
    Vehicle:
    2000 Extra Cab TRD O/R
    3" lift. American racing 15'' rims. 33x12.50 BFG A/T tires. tool box. ARB bumper, mile marker winch, kc highlights. No carpet inside sprayed with bed liner. Kicker door speakers. Alpine head unit.
    The piston ar's have seen key fractures, but the HK MR 556 A1 is too legit to quit! Leave it up to the Germans to over engineer :D.

7. Feb 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Skimafia

Skimafia Well-Known Member

Member:
    I sold a DI gun for a piston gun for two reasons. The first is the amount of time it took to clean. Every time I shot it I would have to dedicate an hour or more to cleaning it out.
    The second reason was reliability. I am sure a major reason I had issues with my gun was because it wasnt the best AR brand out there. I had a Bushmaster Predator that was an amazingly accurate gun. But I had failure to feed issues from day one. Probably one out of every 30-40 shots wouldnt cycle. I tried different ammo, different amount of oils in the gun, and still had problems. There is nothing worse in my opinion than a gun that isnt reliable. So I sold it and bought a Ruger SR556. I have put 1000+ rounds through it with not a single problem. And its is so so easy to clean!

Products Discussed in

To Top