1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disable ABS Control module or buy used, 2001 Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Impulsetacoma, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Aug 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM
    Impulsetacoma

Impulsetacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Donahoe Racing Extended Travel Coilovers, Donahoe Racing Rear Reservoir Shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, 8 Leaf Deavers, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, BG Goodrich A/T's 285/75/R16, Demello Off-Road Custom Front Tube Bumper with winch housing
    I've got a 2001 4x4, 3.4 liter V6 Tacoma. I had an incident earlier in the year that caused my ABS Control module to engage in low speeds and it becomes annoying and dangerous all the time.

Does anyone have an extra ABS control module part # 89541-04010 that I can buy from them for around $200?

Either that or does anyone know how to pull the fuse that controls the ABS control module? I tried pulling the fuse and it won't budge. I also read in another forum that the fuse for the ABS control module is actually soldered on the fuse box. Anyone have any recommendations on how to disable it?

2. Aug 10, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  3. Aug 11, 2015 at 11:35 AM
    cruiserkev

cruiserkev Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Lakewood, WA
    I had the same issue and nearly rear ended a few cars at slow speeds. Unplug the ABS harness on the passenger side of the engine bay just enough so it can't make contact. ABS light will stay on all the time but the unit can't engage this way. 5 years and no issues since doing this on my '99. Much cheaper alternative to the replacing all those sensors and control module. ABS is overrated anyway, I have had my Taco 13 years and can't think of one instance it came in handy. Good luck! :)

4. Aug 11, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    and you can also take out the gauge cluster and remove the ABS light bulb so you don't have to look at it

5. Aug 11, 2015 at 1:27 PM
    Impulsetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Donahoe Racing Extended Travel Coilovers, Donahoe Racing Rear Reservoir Shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, 8 Leaf Deavers, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, BG Goodrich A/T's 285/75/R16, Demello Off-Road Custom Front Tube Bumper with winch housing
    I just unplugged and stopped messing with the fuses. I looked at car-parts.com before and actually asked for some quotes some time ago. When I called some places they didn't seem to confident that it would work and didn't even know the part# to it. But i'll call some of these places again and maybe I'll have better luck this time around.

6. Aug 11, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    Impulsetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Yea unplugging it is much cheaper way to go. The ABS light doesn't bother me. But it does remind me that I would need to replace it down the road some time. I already replaced one of the sensors on the drivers side front wheel and it still had the slow speed engagement issue. I had my mechanic take a look at it and he recommended getting another ABS control module. Didn't realize it was so expensive, he quoted me $1000, I found one online at toyotaartszone.com for $500, still expenseive...currently looking for other cheaper alternative buys.

7. Aug 11, 2015 at 9:06 PM
    CodeSeven

CodeSeven LOC: 33.781461, -115.867251

Member:
    First Name:
    Serge.
    Coachella Valley
    Vehicle:
    '00 Taco 3.4 4x4 TRD ( <3), '06 Taco Prerunner 4.0 (totaled)
    3 inch lift. bluetooth stereo. blue transparent skulls shift knobs
    i bought my truck with a bad abs module. costs over 1k just for the part, f-that! so i just left it and accidently burnt the ABS bulb when swapping my gauge bulbs to blue. i like it this way anyways. when im off roading, i don't want ABS to kick in while i'm trying to go up or down a hill or rocks.

8. Aug 11, 2015 at 9:12 PM
    Impulsetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Ya I was riding that messed up ABS since Feb, dam thing is annoying as hell. I got to unplug the wiring today so now it doesn't engage anymore. I looked on car-parts.com and it seems that they have some cheap ABS modules. Just gota make sure they have the right part number as some Ive called already seem sketchy.

9. Aug 11, 2015 at 11:32 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    I had an issue with my ABS module and picked a used one up from someone on here parting out a truck. I still need to install it (I set it on top of the workbench earlier this evening).

In the meantime, I removed the ABS main fuse (has an 8mm bolt I think) holding it in the main fuse panel. I can't remember why, but I decided it was a BAD idea to just unplug the harness on the unit itself - maybe it was just because it would leave the contacts exposed and would get dirty, maybe it was more. I can't remember, but I read everything in the FSM and decided it was best to just remove the main ABS fuse.

10. Aug 12, 2015 at 12:47 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Well at least as of now here in Pa you don`t need the ABS to work to pass inspection.

As long as the rest of the brake system works.

I guess if one learned to drive with ABS you don`t know anything else.

I have a hard time not using braking application from muscle memory

11. Aug 12, 2015 at 10:41 PM
    Impulsetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I tried to check mine, maybe I overlooked it, where's that bolt located exactly that's holding it in the main fuse panel?

12. Aug 12, 2015 at 10:43 PM
    Impulsetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I been driving around with the ABS disabled, it feels rather the same. Maybe the brakes are not as smooth, but mostly not too much of a difference.

13. Aug 13, 2015 at 7:42 AM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    The bolt is underneath I believe. There may even be two. I can't remember as it's been many months.

14. Aug 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Abs modules are fairly prone to failing, depending on the model it's almost always because of a cold solder joint cracking. My mustang had the abs light on for about 6 months before I got tired of looking at it and because ford uses the abs for traction control, that light was on non stop as well.. New module was 1100-1200. I've driven non abs, no traction contol vehicles most of my life so no biggie, I know how to drive.

But the lights were annoying :) Anyway, pulled the module and sent it in for repair. $65, everything works as intended and no lights.

On most vehicles you can disconnect it and you'll just have regular brakes + the idiot light. ABS only fires under specific circumstances, normal braking will be identical. You'll have to learn to actually work the brakes on hard stops and you'll get some tire squeal until then. It won't disable the vehicle in any other way.

15. Sep 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    Who does ABS module repairs? I may send in my old one to see if it's fixable for not that much money and put it up for sale here for someone that needs one.

16. Sep 22, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    Indy

Member:
    My mustang went to "myairbags.com" if memory serves. Still have 0 issues with it since the repair. I 'won' one of their ebay auctions, it was $30 (about) cheaper than going through their website. Just search abs repair and they pop up.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Nov 16, 2015 at 2:17 PM
    Marcus

Marcus Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Double Cab V6 4x4
    Pioneer 6965r 6x9's in the front Pioneer TSA1675 6.5's in the rear Kenwood Excleon Deck Kicker 200.4 Amp Dual RF Shallow mount Prime Subwoofers
    Older forum I know, but it looks like I'm joining the club of shot abs modules. Mechanic quoted me 750 for a used one installed, on top of a right rear wheel sensor that needs replaced. Is that a decent price? Or is it rather easy to install myself? Any thoughts?

18. Nov 16, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    Trukboy1

Trukboy1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    99 tacoma trd black, like new condition
    Toyota dealer charged me 490.00 for one speed sensor, didn,t fix problem. Mechanic checked for codes and said the module was showing bad,. For that he wanted 1800.00 for the part 89541-04010 and 200.00 labor. This is for a 99 TRD. I can drive without it, but it has actuated a couple times and scared me, I think pulling the fuse is smart.

19. Nov 17, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    JasonLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    If you are asking, it sounds like you are already unsure if you want to or can do the job yourself. I'll leave that up to you, but the short of it is the following:
    Keep the unit, "disable" ABS
    Pull the fuses. Look at the FSM for details (it may be in this thread as well). There are TWO fuses - one of them is bolted in from the bottom. The brake fluid will still flow through the ABS actuator like before, but the ABS motors and brains will not function to pulse the brakes if they detect any wheels locking up. Effectively you have a paperweight under the hood and your truck does not have ABS for now. I've run my truck like this for at least 6 months now.

Remove ABS unit and "permanently" remove ABS from your truck
    Since the brake master cylinder is routed to the ABS actuator and then from there the brake lines go out to the truck, you will need to do some splitting and adapters/joiners, or probably more ideally, re-plumb your brake system to pretend like the actuator never existed under the hood.

*Have someone rebuild the ABS unit
    Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that they shipped the unit off to have it rebuilt for a few hundred dollars.

*Find a junkyard one
    This is what I did - a bit risky as you won't know for sure if it functions correctly until you install it.

*Buy a new one
    This is expensive.

** All of these options that beginning with a * will require you to bleed your brake system before it is safe to use your truck again.

20. Nov 18, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    Indy

Member:
    IF the abs 'brain' is what needs rebuilt, and if it's like the bosche unit, the computer part separates from the actual plumbing part. You don't need to bleed or do anything else to remove/install it. It's not directly attached to the pressure system.

Products Discussed in

To Top