1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disable ABS for heavy snow

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 12tinker, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Jan 4, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    Move to warmer climate. No snow/ice = no fun.

2. Jan 4, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    The obvious solution is to slow down when conditions result in poor traction. And FWIW, ABS does not operate until the truck has exceeded 6 mph and will not operate once speed drops below 3 mph. (page 277 of the manual for an '06 Tacoma.) The manual also lists situations where ABS will result in longer stopping distance than non-ABS equipped vehicles. It includes snow and gravel. The reason for that is that maximum braking on loose material results when the wheel is allowed to lock and build up a wedge of material in front of it. ABS defeats that by detecting lock up and releasing the brakes, allowing the tire to roll over the wedge that is starting to build.

And ABS cannot provide traction where none exists.

3. Jan 10, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    Trowber24

Trowber24 Marquette Fence Masher...

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Marquette, MI
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4wd
    3" Toytec lift, 286/75/R16 BFGoodrich Mud Terrains
    I agree that the ABS in my truck should be redesigned. For those of you that like your ABS, more power to you. It always seems mine comes on when its not needed and actually speeds me up rather than slows me down. Usually its when I'm just putting slight pressure on my brakes when preparing to come to an intersection. The next thing I know I have to stomp on my break pedal because the ABS has kicked in. Theres no question in my mind that in most situations I would have stopped much earlier without the ABS.

4. Jan 10, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    It's the trucks fault!:rolleyes:

Anyhow, just because the ABS is operating, doesn't necessarily mean you are skidding. Most of the time one wheel has locked or slowed, and that is why it is cycling. After the ABS kicks in, sometimes you need to push the brake pedal harder. This will send max braking power to all wheels.
    On smooth surfaces, ABS will generally never yield a longer stopping distance. Usually it will be shorter, (better brake force distribution, and ability to hit 100% braking instantly). On loose surfaces, where material (gravel, snow, etc) can accumulate in front of the tire, ABS can lengthen the stopping distance, but not a lot.

5. Jan 10, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Sorry, didn't realize you knew it all.

6. Jan 11, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    I was respnding to the above with some facts, thats all.
    A lot of people seem to suggest they never slid out of control before ABS. I take issue with that. A lot of people hate ABS, fine. Suggesting it`s ineffective or that we are better off without it is intellectually lazy.

7. Jan 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    ABS is fine for what it was designed for - preventing wheel lock up and allowing the steering axle to direct the vehicle under heavy braking. In addition to this, it has been tested, retested, and proven by many agencies that ABS does not provide the best (ie: shortest distance) braking 100% of the time. Straight line stops on loose surfaces or packed snow,ice, etc are achieved in a shorter distance by conventional braking.

End of story, PERIOD.

8. Jan 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    And I was responding primarily to your "It's the truck's fault!" line with the rolling eyes. There seem to be a hell of a lot of people here who complain of the ABS causing the exact same situation as I described. And yet you still assumed the ABS worked fine and it was somehow my incompetence that led to the problem.

ABS has it's place. But in this truck, there is no doubt it comes on at times it shouldn't, and in some cases is more of a danger than a benefit.

9. Jan 12, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    09Tacomania

09Tacomania Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Little Rhody
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver Streak Dbl cab 4x4
    Icon CO's, LR UCA's, Icon rear 2.0 rear resi's, Wheelers 1.5" 3 pk aal, blacked out badges, Andre's devil horn's, Extang tonneau. Oem racks
    If i was you, I'd just sell the damn thing or move to a place without snow and ice. Your beating a dead horse. Good luck

10. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Flare

Flare Member

Member:
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    None
    Actually thresshold braking will out brake ABS. Most people cannot or are not very good at it.

Corey

11. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    That used to be the case, in theory anyhow. But in practice, with ABS you can go to 100% instantly. Most research suggests that this is a bigger factor, than being at threshold. Add in the fixed brake force distribution (of non ABS), that will generally lock one tire at threshold, whereas ABS sends 100% to all wheels. (in a 4 channel EBD system anyhow)

12. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    russell@stone-creek.com

russell@stone-creek.com Member

Member:
    It's a trade-off for sure.

I drove 20 years before ABS. My old fart beefs:

1. It scares the driver when it actuates. I read where even trained drivers (cops) instinctively let off the brakes when ABS kicks in.

2. It takes away too much braking power if one of the wheels just *touches* a patch of gravel or ice.

I'm glad it's on my wife's car. I'm glad it's on my kid's car.

But personally, I'd rather risk a spin. ;)

13. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    #2 is my big issue. But my personal instinctive reaction is to press much harder on the brakes when ABS kicks in, because it suddenly feels like my brakes aren't doing anything.

14. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I'm going to give this a shot. Your solution is even easier than the one posted in the cheap/free mods thread. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. :thumbsup:

15. Feb 9, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    1101 mobsquad

1101 mobsquad Active Member

Member:
    America
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Sport
    STOCKER....
  16. Feb 9, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Mobsquad, No it will not work. You must find another way. Only works for those with TRD E-lockers.

I should also tell you that if you pull your ABS fuse you can disable the system that way. The fuse in under the hood in the fuse-block by the battery.

17. Feb 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Right on...glad my Abs is totally disabled now.

18. Feb 9, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    cwrose

cwrose Don't spreadsheet this...

Member:
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB in MGM
    So I know that my experience doesn't parallel many of the other members here, but I've been driving in Alaska for a little over 8 years now. Between my vehicles (private and company), I have about 300k miles clocked with roughly half done in a winter climate. I agree with many that the ABS on Tacomas are extremely sensitive with too low of a threshold. But from my experience, I am glad that I've had it on most of my vehicles.

The ice that I drive on won't make a difference whether you have ABS or not. Fortunately, the ABS has allowed me to gently steer away from any solid object (i.e. the car in front of me). Now it never happened often because I think that I've "learned" the threshold to an extent. But when the ABS did go off, I simply steered the truck left or right to catch a bit of traction from snow, gravel, or some less slippery surface and I would immediately regain braking power and stop as normal.

I'm basically just saying that it takes a bit to get used to. Whether it's a Tacoma, 4runner, Camry, or 2 ton delivery truck, I hardly have the ABS activate during the winter. My $.02 I guess

It's wonderful that you can stop in a shorter distance when performing a straight line stop, but more often than not, the time you need to stop fast is when some hazard is in front of you. Thus, the straight line stop only works if that hazard is far enough away. When it isn't, I'm sure glad I have ABS to steer out of the way without having to let off of the brakes to regain traction to avoid said hazard.

19. Feb 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    X2 - Stopping without steering is seldom the solution.

20. Mar 2, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    12tinker

12tinker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road
    engine swap (stuck valve @260K)
    Better tires is the best solution. The origional "Rugged Trail" are shiett. I only got 35K. The tires were horrible in snow when new! I now have Mich with 70 K warrantee and they stop like I have chains on. They should not allow Toyota to OEM these Rugged Trail in the North where there is snow.

Products Discussed in

To Top