1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disappointed...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AWorthyOpponent, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Okay, I need somewhere to vent. This is your warning...

I am completely disappointed with the entire Toyota line-up. I have had toyotas my entire life. 91 corolla, 01 Tacoma PreRunner, 99 camry, and my last car...a 2005 camry. All of the previous cars have lasted - went to he'll and back, with no problems. Naturally, I wanted another Toyota, and really loved my previous Tacoma, so I took the plunge. 2011 Tacoma, with just about every optioni I could get. I even got the super duper platinum elite protection plan that will cover everything for 6 years. I have had the truck 29 days, and have experienced the following:

Problems From the Dealer
    1. Alignment was out, vehicle pulled to the right
    2. All tires had less than 20lbs of air, including the spare, which had 10lbs.
    3. One key (out of three) had not programmed the RFID Chip.

Problems that came about
    1. Within 100 miles, the AC began to chirp.
    2. First time on the highway, the windshield whistled louder than the radio, which was at about volume 50/64 (stock radio)
    3. Loud ticking from the engine, beyond the infamous tick. Dealer replaced injectors and fixed it.

This is all within 1000 miles mind you. Has Toyota's customer base settled for this kind of workmanship? Even though this hasn't cost me anything extra other than a trip to the dealership per week, it isn't acceptable. The stealership has tried to make me pay for the repair each time, and I've had to bitch and moan for almost two hours today for them to give me a rental car while they repaired my blower motor. I know that there are a couple of known issues, but you think that they're known, they would at least ATTEMPT to put the updated parts in new models, rather than putting the same crap into them. I mean, most of these trucks run around $30k - more after mods and upgrades. Am I the only one that feels this way? I am actually debating returning the truck while I still can and getting something else. I wish I didn't love to drive it soo much.

Update: I am keeping the truck. The dealer and Toyota have made things right by me. The dealership gave me three complete details. Owner of the dealership told me to get it as dirty as I could and they would have it professionally cleaned inside, outside, and undercarriage, clay bar outside and shampoo carpets (something they charge about $250 for if you have them do it during a service appointment). When i got the truck, the dealership had a special where they also included tires and batteries for the life of the vehicle (as long as the routine maintenance is done through them), but they just replace the rugged fails. The dealership agreed to replace my tires with "my choice of BF Goodrich Tire".

And yes, they gave it all to me in writing. It doesn't make my experience better, but at least they recognize their faults and are taking responsibility.

2. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers //TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    265/70/17 BFG KO2/17"x7" Pro Sema Wheels/OME 884/Bilstein 5100 front & rear/HeadStrong 1/4" TP spacer/Deaver 1.5"-2" AAL/Mud-Flap delete/Westin Bed mat/UltraGauge/ WeatherTechs/AFE Pro Dry Drop in Filter/debadged/AVS in-channel window visors/color-matched OEM grille/Kicker 6.75" Components in front door/Alpine KTP-445U power pack behind factory head unit/
    Man sorry for your bad luck!

3. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I do agree with you, Toyota doesn't seem to learn from previous issues.

My 96 Tacoma had the "clutch chirp", A/C blower squeal, as well as had the 3 leaf leaf springs replaced with a 4 leaf leaf springs.
    12 years later, it's deja vu with my new Tacoma, very frustrating.

I still do feel that Toyota makes a superior product when compared to the competition, but they are far from perfect.

Shawn

4. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    thats the only thing I hate about my 05, it sounds like it has an exhaust leak, but its just the motor ticking

5. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Sounds like you need a new dealership... Sorry about the problems you are having. Almost 7 years later and I haven't had any issues with my truck.

6. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Just take that bitch back and get a new one!

7. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Sorry to hear about the issues.

8. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    creedler

creedler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Old build in sig
    I'm sorry about your misfortunes. Unfortunately several of the problems you mentioned are somewhat typical (AC Chirp, Engine Tick) however yours sound like they may be a bit more severe. As several others mentioned I think that you ran into a dealership with poor customer service. The problems with the truck are minor and shouldn't be a hassle to fix as you described. Look at the bright side. You bought a Toyota it has decades of life left and it's going to hold it's resale value like no other vehicle on the market. Good luck luck with your issues I suggest finding a new dealership if possible.

9. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    lol yeah. and OP, sorry for your misfortune. i had never owned a nice vehicle till my taco, so there could be a flock of birds chirping away in my AC and a small midget tap dancing under my hood before i noticed some of those things you mentioned and decided to complain about. hope your luck gets better.

10. Sep 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    OP i suggest getting a new dealership, that one sounds like it's the definition of SUCK.

11. Sep 21, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    On track:

All the problems are minor, and fixed, but I just expect more for $32k. I could see the issues on their base models, but with the reputation the Tacoma has, I expected more from the TRD top of the line whatever.

And this place doesn't help..now all I wanna do is lift and mod and fix Toyota's downfalls. I can't return a modded truck. Looks like I'm going to have to spend hours and hours on here coming up with new ideas. I just got my Weathertech mats in the mail. Have an appt to price exhausts right after I pick up my truck from the shop tomorrow.

And the rental car I got...a Nissan Frontier...REALLY!!!

12. Sep 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    So how does the Nissan compare? My 08 Prerunner is the is my last Toyota. Too much time at the dealer with the same problems over & over & over.......

13. Sep 21, 2011 at 10:30 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Majority of those complaints are petty and have nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle (you seriously complained about tire pressure?). Mine has had one issue that ended up not smattering since I wanted a lift anyway: weak rear springs. Other than that, I have 62k miles and no problems.

Good luck.

14. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    Sounds like you need a new dealer. Bitching for a rental for 2 hours for the heater fan repair is ridiculous. I can pull the heater fan, disassemble it, lube it, re-assemble, reinstall and have a beer in that kind of time. A straight up re&re should take like 15 minutes tops. It's 3 screws and a plug-in.

15. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Your 'from the dealer' list may be viewed in a positive light - maybe you got such a steal of a deal on the truck that they sabotaged it? Lol, it's more likely they were just dumb and didn't bother checking before delivery...

The problems that 'came about' sound pretty bad too - namely a windshield whistle louder than the radio at volume 50! Assuming you have the JBL, that is NOT quiet at all!

I'd have been furious if I dealt with any of that let alone all of it if I were you. I also have a Double Cab (built in Baja "California" aka Mexico), but it's a long-bed and I have had no problems to report (knock on wood) for 12,5xx miles!

I'm glad to hear it's all resolved for now and I wish you better luck in the future with your Taco Truck!

P.S. Lol on getting a Nissan Frontier as a rental - they must be like the Chevy HHRs/Nissan Cubes, nobody buys them, so companies rent them out instead.

16. Sep 22, 2011 at 4:23 AM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    Minor Problems?

17. Sep 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    ontarioyota

ontarioyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    @scott777taco INSTAGRAM
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    Blacked out badges-rims OME lift with 881's & dakar pacs, summer tires=BFG 31x10.5x15 on 93 4runner rims,winter= 265 75 16 DURATRACS on stock steelies,Flowmaster exhaust, deck plate mod, ARB front bumper
    The early Yotas were much better then they are now...IMO

18. Sep 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Isn't that the truth, the clutch squeak! I also have driven a toyota product since 1987 but hey at least Toyota steps up to the plate more than other mfgs. I hear it at work all the time. Every brand has its nuances. Good luck with your new truck.

19. Sep 22, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    leveltwo

leveltwo Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have the ac squeak and the engine tick while under acceleration, tick is normal and ac can be fixed

20. Sep 22, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Toyota's quality has definitely slipped.

Products Discussed in

To Top