1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discount Tire scratched my rim, fix or replace?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Notoneiota, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Nov 22, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    Notoneiota

Notoneiota [OP] Claud Bawls molested my cat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oakdale & Grand Rapids, MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Mostly stock with a few minor mods.
    What a flippin' nightmare. What started a few weeks ago with the excitement of getting a sweet deal on a new set of tires from the $100 off $400 promotion that Discount Tire Direct ran on Ebay, ended in frustration and anger this evening.

Long story short, I sat in the store for 7 hours and 15 minutes today waiting for my tires to get mounted. Apparently when the manager says, "It will be a little wait," he really means it could take his entire shift to get it done. When they handed my keys back to me this evening, I inspected the situation with my flashlight and discovered one rim has circular scratches/gouges around the lug nut holes. I immediately showed the manager and his reply was, "Yeah, that looks like something we did. I'll call a tire re-finishing place tomorrow and they'll fix it for you."

So, can they be fixed? They're the shiney aluminum 17" alloy rims that come on a TRD Sport. Do I give them a shot at it or demand a new Toyota rim? What would a "re-finishing" place do to scratched rims?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    ChadsPride and SOSHeloPilot like this.
  2. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:46 AM
    3coma

3coma my kid says my truck is "Boss"

Member:
    First Name:
    rob
    Vehicle:
    19 dcsb sport cement 4x4
    Meh, buff it out with some scotchbrite. I have the same wheels, they won't be worth much when you upgrade anyways.

3. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    My issue is that I don't think it'll buff out. The gouges are kind of deep. And I don't plan on buying new rims later on. This is my drive to work and take me camping and hunting vehicle. I get it dirty, but clean it up when I do. Now I have 3 rims in great shape and one with circular gouges around the lug hole area.

4. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:13 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got new wheels when they scratched mine.

If you're married to your factory wheels ask them to replace the scratched one. If they won't then you'll have to either have a refinish job or have them order you new wheels of your choice with lugs and center caps and free install, like they did to me.

Blais03 likes this.
  5. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:14 PM
    IamJorgeEdward

IamJorgeEdward Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge Edward
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    Completely stock
    You'll be surprised how good some refinishing places can be. I once curb rashed the hell out of my rims on my 1st gear. Took it to a local shop and didnt expect much BUT when they were done, couldnt tell at all. See what they can do...if you're still not happy, have them replace the rim.

6. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    02YotaGuy

02YotaGuy Guy With A Red 80 Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Springfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    94 FZJ80
    Bumper, Winch, 315s, Sliders, OME HD lift, Custom rear swingout, roof rack, drawers, way too much to list.
    My dad had a similar issue with his old BMW M5 where a shop damaged one wheel (1 cost abut the same as a full set of TRD) it was refinished and you couldn't even tell which one was ever damaged.

7. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:27 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Well. Guess I'll give the refinishing shop a try. I just want it back the way it was. Thanks for the input. I'll update some before and afyer shots if I can remember to take them.

8. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:33 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ...^^^... About 8 years ago Discount Tire screwed up 2 rims ... they let pick out a new set of 4 rims in their store ... also gave me 1 Michelin tire free ... had previously purchased 4.

Also .. they let me keep the old 4 OEM wheels.

This was cheaper for them to do this than to buy 2 OEM wheels from the Toyota dealer. The free tire I got was a bonus I guess.

We have good "wheel refinish shops" here ... but I had 2 rims damaged and had to have a vehicle to drive.

EDIT ... It took D/T about 2 hours total to install the tires and damage the OEM wheels ... then I drove off and noticed the damage when i got home about 30 minutes later ... my saving grace was I took some pics of the wheels and told the D/C rep the wheels had no damage before they started. I do the same when i go to any dealership for service or valet parking ... pics and vehicle condition discussion.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:37 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Tire Kingdom scratched all four of my wheels. Didn't notice it until I got home. Called the shop and the regional manager sent me a check for the price of a brand new set a few weeks later.

T4RFTMFW likes this.
  10. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    That sucks man .. i have brand new wheels sitting here in my garage waiting to take and get mounted. I paid over $800 for them and they are the dark satin alloy Toyota wheels .. i'm still trying to decide where to take them to as we have NTB, Discount Tire as well as a few other small tire shops in town .. i think where ever i go i will stress nicely that they please be careful not to scratch the new wheels all up

11. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Oh and ..... over 7hrs ??? you have way more patience than me and i'm a pretty patient person

Justinlhc and PVT Pablo like this.
  12. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    Yeah. Their next appointment was over a week out. They said they could do it but I'd have to wait. I didn't have any other options than maybe an Uber ride home. I started at 10 am and got my keys at 5:20 pm. I walked to lunch. Walked to a few nearby shops. Even walked to Walmart and got some oil for my next change this weekend.

13. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    have pictures of the scratched rim?

14. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    OhioTaco68

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I knew someone would eventually ask

:worthless:

15. Nov 23, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    Notoneiota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    I'll try to snap one tomorrow. Was deer hunting today. And going out again tomorrow.

16. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    They should replace them in my opinion and it should not have taken that long at all.

jeff b likes this.
  17. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:10 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    same thing happened to me a few years ago in my previous tacoma build. They bought me a whole new set of wheels.

18. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    As common as this is and as costly as it is, I can't believe they still hire dipshits to perform services. I pretty much expect my wheels to get fucked up when I take them in to get worked on. I found an old guy ~60 miles away that I'm willing to travel to and pay extra(tip) for. How sad is that? :annoyed:

19. Nov 23, 2016 at 7:40 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's pretty inexpensive to give a set of wheels away at wholesale for a large company.

Accidents happen.

You're not going to be hiring precision skilled laborers to change tires all day, especially not for $10/hr in a place where $550k buys an average starter home.

20. Nov 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Im sure it's not going to put them out of business having to buy a set of wheels here and there, but it would be nice if they would hire a more skilled group of people to do this work even if it means at a higher rate and they would save that money on buying new wheels every so often. Look how many people were skimming by this thread and commented about having damaged wheels(twice for myself).

I fail to see what housing costs have to do with the situation.

Products Discussed in

To Top