1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

discouraged by lack of build quality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011Streaker, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    Agreed. Every vehicle has quirks. But some have more than others... It seems to me that Toyota Trucks have been on decline. The 70s and 80s pickups were just about bomb-proof, First Gen Tacomas are less so but still very tough, and 2nd Gens even less--which understandable due to everything becoming automated and electronic. I've seen this trend in Ford trucks and others as well.

2. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Every vehicle has its design flaws. The flaws on the Tacoma are the easiest to fix out of any vehicle I've ever owned.

3. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Speaking the honest word

4. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    :laughing:

5. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    GM is the worst. Absolute worst. Their designs are ugly (hate that huge ugly square chrome chevy front end, *barf*.

Thanks for all of your feedback. Got an appt. with the dealer on Monday. HOPEFULLY some issues can be resolved.

6. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    Like I said I have had more prob with this truck than the last 2 fords put together, still a wicked truck though huh?

7. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    What a bunch of bull shit. The Internet told him to???? You have got to be shitting me.

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    PS shaking breaking the dealer won't fix. I'm almost positive my rotors are baaaarely warped and getting worse, as I feel the steering wheel and my ass shake when I break these days. Dealer said "it happens, not covered under warranty". awwww thanks Toyota, No, No, its totally cool, I paid you extra money for bumper to bumper warrantly, only for you to tell me rotor warp is natural and I'll have to pay out of pocket to fix it.

9. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    Doom Elk

Doom Elk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Spokane, WA
    Any car nowadays will have common issues, especially since they don't make em like they used to. Just want to throw as many out on the market as possible. Sadly, it may bring issues. But, I still love my Toyotas. Honestly, I feel that you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel soon enough. Especially if the miles start racking up on the truck and you'll be seeing less issues than you would have had with the Jeep.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Jeeps. But, I did buy a Tacoma for a reason...

Edit:
    Remembered this little jewel I found a while back on the interwebs. Its a pretty interesting read, as well as makes you appreciate a good ol fashion midsized truck.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/10/14/why-rebel-groups-love-the-toyota-hilux.html

10. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    'Fraid not. No one notices tiny shit until they go looking for it.

He's even worried about problems he doesn't even have yet (springs sagging, DTRL melting). There you go.

Everyone loves their truck until they learn what problems they're supposed to be having. Then all of a sudden, rough pavement? You need the spring TSB, etc.

How did they used to make 'em? Motor vehicles have gotten more reliable across the board every year ever since various agencies started keeping track.

There is more "piddly shit" thanks to the ginormous amounts of computerized features and electronic systems, but at least we're past the days of "my vehicle won't start for no discernible reason".

11. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    420k km's on a 92 jeep sport. Gave it to the kidney foundation. Let's not poo poo on jeeps

12. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Haha that's totally true. Wouldn't have known about the Rear leaf TSB till I read about it here. However, I did notice my truck slamming bumpstops when I went over speed bumps a little to fast with my 550 lb motorcycle strapped into the bed and 3 adults in the truck, figured it was just overloaded.

DTRLs...eh...if they melt, they melt...then I go to the dealer and WTF. Not before though...

I try to stay away from the dealer as much as possible. I play my radio way to loud all the time to really notice any weird noises, unless they are REALLY loud noises then i'll turn the radio down and try to reproduce it...but for the most part, the dealer is a place for my oil changes/ services and if something is bugging the shit out of me.

13. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Uh.......derp. Soooo not true.

14. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    tacomafide

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    When my leafs started squeaking after 20k cause of a worn out whatever it wasn't the web that told me, when I'm on my 3rd blower motor its not cause of the Internet. C'mon man. When the intermediate shaft in the steering linkage had to be replaced at 25k the f'n Internet had nothing to do with anything. WTF is with "worn out" after 25k of ON road driving. Maybe the cigarette lighter wouldnt have popped out red hot and gone under the seat while I'm on the highway If I hadn't googled it first. F me.
    Forgot to mention I had the wiper motor replaced after 25k kms

15. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    Doom Elk

Doom Elk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Spokane, WA
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but I was more or less just referring to cars being pumped out with so much computer and electrical. Its a love hate relationship. I have no arguments with the electrical on the tacoma, quite frankly because I'm not tuning it. I like being able to know exactly what codes are being thrown, and not trying to have to adjust shit if I go up a mountain because my carb started running lean. But, on the downside of that. If I were to build another engine and toss it into a car for street use, being able to get around all the eletrical and sensors, and fighting with everything else, especially if you have to rewire for a standalone, thats where it sucks an they don't "make em like the used to."
    Sorry for my unclear post.

16. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Design flaw that needs to be fixed, 6 speed manual trans TOB and pilot shaft. That's not a problem you go looking for, it squeals its presence to all within range. And I bet 2012 6 speed manuals are the same way.

17. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    JayDawg

JayDawg Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Sterling, Co. via San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab TRD Off Road Package
    4-PIAA 80 Racing Series Off Road Lights, Randy Ellis Design Light Bar, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Rear Leaf TSB, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock wheels, fog light mod, more to come...
    I have a 2007 and have not had any major problems with it. The only thing done to mine has been rear leaf TSB. Not because the truck needed it but because I knew I was lifting it and wanted the extra rear leaf. I requested the TSB be done and the dealer obliged. They also did the gas pedal thing too even though I did not request it. They replaced the bushings in my upper control arms because they wore out prematurely and squeeked like crazy. There were some other things too but I don't recall what they were. Something with the rear drive shaft. Occasionally when I would take off, the rear wheels would chatter. They did that and now it doesn't do it as often.

On a side note, what is the clutch or transmission TSB or Recall? I just heard about it and want to get my truck looked at because I don't want future problems occurring that could be covered now.

18. Apr 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    4x4jeep

4x4jeep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Destin FL.
    :jerkoff::brianr:

19. Apr 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    In the 5 years i've owned my 07 i had a tail light bulb go out... :eek:

20. Apr 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    I kind of understand what he means...if you let it get to you. For example, my previous truck was '06 Frontier. Solid truck but according to internet there is radiator/transmission cross contamination, timing chain guide issue, FSU issue, and others. I was completely oblivious to these until I got on the internet and starting thinking my truck was going to fall apart around me. I never had an issue with the truck.

Sounds like OP is letting the internet drag him down. No reason too. I am thrillled with my '11 Tacoma and wouldn't give it up for anything. Besides the issues he has mentioned there are plenty of DIY fixes out there.

Products Discussed in

To Top