1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Distracted while changing engine oil leads to draining a quart of transmission fluid :)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Stroonzo, May 11, 2016.

1. May 11, 2016 at 5:49 AM
    Stroonzo

Stroonzo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    On my second oil change since owning my 2013 PreRunner V6 DC (with 45,000) I really wanted to just slap myself for being distracted / rushed. I set up my drain pan etc under the truck, slipped under there and proceed to pull the drain bolt to the 5 speed automatic transmission!

As soon as the ATF began to come out, I knew instantly! I scrambled for the drain bolt while plugging the hole with my finger. Yes, what a dumb thing to do.

I measured what I had released. It was right at one quart that had drained. So I went to my dealer and bought a quart of Toyota ATF WS to put back in the transmission (the 24mm filler plug on back of the transmission / passenger side). Simple enough, using a Harbor Freight hand siphon pump I replaced the quart of ATF WS that I drained out.

Here is the question and why I write this. The dealer warned me (or maybe they were trying scare tactics - who knows) that I can't just refill the transmission with a quart of ATF WS. The advisor said just because I drained a quart out, that doesn't mean I replace it with a quart. She said the transmission has to be connected to a computer, the truck must be running, and a temperature reading must be maintained in order for them to calculate the exact amount of fluid to be placed in the transmission. Oh and that it would cost me $300 to do this.

I told her, no thanks and left with a $10 quart of ATF WS (drove there in my wife's Sienna), got home and (like I said a bit earlier in the post) simply replaced the quart of ATF WS that was mistakingly drained.

Your thoughts? Does the dealer's caveat have any merit? Truck runs fines / transmissions sounds and shift just as it did before (maybe even slightly smoother - who knows). Oh, and yeah.... I got the motor oil changed thereafter :).

Thanks,
    Jeff

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. May 11, 2016 at 5:54 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    How old is the truck and mileage?

If it were me and I were close to a flush time, I would flush it just to be extra sure.
    You are more than likely fine with what you did provided the trans fluid was not above about 120 degrees. As I understand transmission fluid expands pretty good when it warms up. So you could potentially be at risk for overfilling if you measure what comes out hot. I doubt this is a serious problem. So while the dealer is technically correct they are over-blowing it to get $$$.

3. May 11, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
  4. May 11, 2016 at 6:34 AM
    TacomaMike37

TacomaMike37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    13' DCLB MGM
    You are fine.

A quart came out you put a quart back in.

Could have been a lot worse.

5. May 11, 2016 at 7:36 AM
    Stroonzo

Member:

2013 PreRunner V6 DC (with 45,000). The fluid coming out wasn't "hot". My truck had been parked for about 45 minutes after about a 15 minute drive before hand. The fluid running on to my hand and down my arm couldn't have been over 100 to 130 degrees. Kind of felt like comfortable (yet slimy) bath water. Considering we're only talking about one quart, I agree and think there's not a risk here.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  6. May 11, 2016 at 7:42 AM
    Stroonzo

Member:
    By the way, this is the HF siphon pump I used. I had it new in the packaging just for such a "rainy day".

7. May 11, 2016 at 7:46 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    TacomaMike37[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 11, 2016 at 10:36 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    +1, as long as the fluid was not hot you are fine. Dealer just wants your $300. $300 by the way is about $100 over the going rate. Even $200 is too much.

9. May 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    X2. I had a transmission flush, an oil change, and a state inspection done @ the stealership when I had them perform my Leaf Spring recall, and it only cost me $170

Products Discussed in

To Top