1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Bed Stiffeners?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MolonLabeTaco, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Dec 16, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Anybody make their own bed stiffeners? Seems like I could just use 2 pieces of angle, welded at a 90 then trim excess. I have plenty of angle so I can’t justify $125+ for what would take me less than a couple hours tinkering around in the garage.
    Looking for ideas on what others have made.

Marc70 likes this.
  2. Dec 16, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    Tacotim0321

Tacotim0321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southwestern ontario
    Vehicle:
    Red 06 access cab trd off road
    Roof top tent 33s on American racing wheels 3 inch lift
    I agree. If you can make your own, why not lol. Exactly what I am going to do

3. Dec 16, 2018 at 11:20 AM
    Ayeele

Ayeele Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Pro, 01 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    If you have the time, tools, materials, and skills.. why wouldn’t you doit? People like me who buy it because im lacking at least 1 of the 4 lol

4. Dec 16, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    n6vmo

n6vmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR AT Super "Priviledged"
    Bilstein 6112, ICON UCAs, 5160, AAL, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks
    Here's what I did...maybe I should have bought instead.

braze1.jpg

BC Hunter, IEsurfer, Marc70 and 4 others like this.
  5. Dec 16, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    Islandtaco671

Islandtaco671 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double cab Tacoma TRD O/R

Just need practice is all!

I’m about to attempt making my own very soon

LG888 likes this.
  6. Dec 16, 2018 at 12:43 PM
    Norsemanvike

Norsemanvike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Sport 4x4, DblCb, ShBd, BBP
    Buy the stiffener that are multi purpose, i.e. more tie down points, bottle opener, etc.

Alexely999 likes this.
  7. Dec 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Did you use a gas welder? That's kinda what my first attempt with oxy acetylene looked like back in the day.

8. Dec 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
  9. Dec 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

Sorry, but that picture made me laugh out loud.... :D

Practice makes perfect. I once had a guy tell me it is only a grinder and a paint job away from a pretty weld.o_O

Alexely999 and totmacher like this.
  10. Dec 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    depends on what i have more of, time or money. I have almost a full machine shop in my garage, but i bought mine lol.

11. Dec 16, 2018 at 3:14 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    A grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't! :rofl:

hoffengineering likes this.
  12. Dec 16, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    Tacomoto23

Tacomoto23 IG: Tacoma_Carey23

Member:
    First Name:
    Carey
    Torrance,CA
    Vehicle:
    11’ TRD Prerunner / 21’ TRD 4x4
    totmacher[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Aug 12, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    DeMen

DeMen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    6" Pro Comp lift, Pro Comp Traction bars, 35"Hankook AT's, CBI tent rack, Bilstein coil over suspension, KC HiLites Fog lamps, Rooftop rack front light bar and both side ditch lights, Homemade Bed stiffeners, Westin bull 2.5"bull bar, XD Series wheels, Spod light controller, Bluetooth ODBII system monitor connected to old Kindle fire, Viair 88 compressor
    I know this thread has been around a while but I just wanted to post this. I spent 35$ on this and a few hours sorting it all out.

$20 for 16"x10" shelf brackets at Home depot.
    Can of truck bed spray paint I had laying around.
    Hardware 4 bolts washers and lock washers for the bottom to frame.
    6 bolts to the side walls with washers and lock washers.

I then bent the ends to match the side walls and sanded and painted.

I didn't want to put the stiffeners on the factory bolt and D-ring because it was set to far back and I didn't want to lose but an inch of usable space. I haven't ran the bottom bolts yet I will here shortly.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    [​IMG]

ohcaltexscar likes this.
  14. Aug 12, 2020 at 9:30 AM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    Welcome to the forum!

Those look good.

Were you experiencing any spreading of the bed sides before adding those? I see you do have some sort of rack in the bed is that why you are adding support?

I ask because, and I'm not trying to be mean just trying to be helpful, but I question whether those shelf brackets will be strong enough to add a great deal of extra strength. Did they have a weight rating? They look like mostly stamped sheet steel and relatively light weight in the pictures. Is the rod that is angled across the 45 degree angle solid or hollow and is it securely welded to the bracket?

BC Hunter likes this.
  15. Aug 12, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    I love the ingenuity and creativity here! However... Don't want to burst your bubble but I wouldn't put much faith in those brackets. I just so happened to buy the exact same ones recently for a project in the garage so I've seen them in person and am familiar with their construction. The design is such that they are meant to carry a load that pushes the two sides together with the diagonal providing support between the sides so that the 90 deg bend can't get any smaller. The same sort of load you'd get when using them as a shelf bracket (their intended purpose). They are NOT designed to carry much load in the opposite direction where you'd be pulling the sides apart - forces which would open up that 90 deg bend.

The issue is that the diagonal support is only lightly welded into place. When the force is acting to close the 90 deg angle the sides themselves hold the diagonal in place. Even if there were no welds the bracket would hold together. When forces are reversed the only thing holding it together are the tack welds. If the forces are too great or the welds weaken over time the diagonal piece will just come loose. That diagonal is only setup for compression forces, not tension.

Only time and your usage will tell as to how these will work out. They might provide the needed support depending on how strong the forces actually are on the brackets but they may also fail on you and only time will tell.

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  16. Aug 12, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    DeMen

DeMen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    6" Pro Comp lift, Pro Comp Traction bars, 35"Hankook AT's, CBI tent rack, Bilstein coil over suspension, KC HiLites Fog lamps, Rooftop rack front light bar and both side ditch lights, Homemade Bed stiffeners, Westin bull 2.5"bull bar, XD Series wheels, Spod light controller, Bluetooth ODBII system monitor connected to old Kindle fire, Viair 88 compressor
    The Shelf brackets were rated at 200lbs each so that is an extra 200lbs of support on each side. That will definable stop any twisting on the trail. I am planning on adding a tent on top of the CBI racks. The 45 degree angle braces are solid steel, not hollow. Also on the inside and bottom I back plated the stiffeners with a solid bolt to bolt piece of 1/8th inch steel as well. The welds are not bad they could have been better but it is a slotted fit weld so I was okay with not tacking them more. If it had just been metal to metal I probably would have reinforced the weld more but...

17. Aug 12, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    See my post above.

They are actually quite heavy duty brackets when used for a shelf. The sides have a small notch in them and the ends of the diagonals have a small tab. The tabs in the diagonal fit into the notches in the sides - this locates the diagonal. Then the diagonal is tack welded. When compression force is applied the sides keep the diagonal in check and the welds are basically doing nothing and not under stress. When tension force is applied all of this force is translated directly to the welds - which are not structural and instead only to hold the whole thing together so it's not loose.

18. Aug 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM
    Tah-koh-mah

Tah-koh-mah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD-Off Road
    200 lbs is the rating for compression not tension. If you're not loading your bed and going wheeling with it loaded, you might be ok. But if you add any significant load on the side of your bed and go over a bump or two, those welds will break. Those brackets aren't designed to be flexed outwards (beyond 90 degrees) nor were they designed to handle torsional stresses either (twisting motions). Not bashing your idea, but just giving you things to think about. If you wanna keep them, I would try adding larger welds at the very least.

Sidney Vicious and BC Hunter like this.
  19. Aug 12, 2020 at 10:04 AM
    DeMen

DeMen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Time will tell. I am aware of what the limits are on these. That is why I am eventually going to close the triangle. The welds currently on there are useless with the end result of a solid triangle welded all the way around. This will work for now while I am saving for the rooftop tent and I can hit the trail and have a bit of assurance that there is something there to mitigate any movement.

20. Aug 12, 2020 at 4:00 PM
    DeMen

DeMen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    So thinking about torsion and over 90 degrees and this is what I decided to do. Because I like the idea of having them open, back further and less of a footprint I ran another piece of 1/8th inch steel along the top of the 45 degree angle to create a T. Right now I do not have it welded. But I will have the T welded soon. This should prevent both twisting and tow out on the bed.

Now just to clean it up, round the edges, paint it and bolt it on. I think this solves a lot of the concerns and questions.

20200812_174608.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top